Top 5 (or 10) Wednesday

Athena

Jaime Lannister from Game of Thrones (from the 3rd book onwards)

Mr Rochester from Jane Eyre

Personally, I'd say both of these characters are already pretty well defended because both books in question explain the extenuating circumstances for why these characters behaved as they did.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I'd say both of these characters are already pretty well defended because both books in question explain the extenuating circumstances for why these characters behaved as they did.

Even if the books themselves explain it, it doesn't mean that the general public likes them as characters... 

This week's topic is: Book Theme Songs

Note by the author (Samantha / Thoughts on Tomes):

--Songs you associate with different books, whether it's because of the lyrics matching the story, the tone fits the story, or just because you listened to it a lot while reading that particular book!

I don't think I really have an answer for this one. I don't listen to music much anymore because it tires me, and if I can help it I'm not reading or listening to music at the same time as I read, unless I was travelling in a (noisy) train or such (I say was, because since I stopped going to university I don't really read anymore in the train).

Maybe other people have more thoughts on this one, though.

As much as I listen to music, I don't associate music with books... Two of my favorite hobbies but for me, they don't go together :D

I don't listen to music or anything while reading. I prefer silence. Fortunately, so does Husband. :D

I'm totally the opposite! I can't read in silence! But I can't with the TV on- in fact, I hate TV and usually read outside!

I mostly read with silence, but quite often have classical music on in the background, especially if it's drowning out other more distracting sounds (e.g. trying to read in the kitchen - my favourite spot - with TV on in next room, or trying to read on train to drown out fatuous phone conversations).  Mozart is especially conducive to reading, but I also use Philip Glass a lot too; one of my favourite albums to read to is the soundtrack to The Hours, simply because, whilst I enjoy listening to it, it's also easy to switch off to.  I chose it as background to Mrs Dalloway the other night (if you're not familiar with Virginia Woolf, The Hours was her working title for the book) - worked perfectly.

I don't listen to music as I read, but I do associate the theme song from the Harry Potter movies with the books, sort of thinking it in my head, if that makes sense. I can't think of another book I do that with, though.

As I read, I do picture the narrative in my head like a movie. I'm not sure if others do that.

I do that, I think! But I don't see details on the faces of people.

I picture the whole person, but impressions of their faces as opposed to features -- expressions, really. The scenery is quite detailed, to the point where I look around in it from the character's perspective as I'm reading. I suppose that's why I prefer a character-driven book and why strong connections to the characters are so important to me.

I picture the whole person, but impressions of their faces as opposed to features -- expressions, really. The scenery is quite detailed, to the point where I look around in it from the character's perspective as I'm reading. I suppose that's why I prefer a character-driven book and why strong connections to the characters are so important to me.

That's pretty interesting. I'm very bad with expressions in real life, so I never imagine them (I'm unsure what it would look like, anyway).

This week's topic is: Favorite Character Names

I'm going to have to think about that one. I think I'd pick some fantasy or science-fiction sounding names :P. Something you don't often hear in 'real life'.

Neville is a great choice!  :D

Thursday Next would have to be in my list. There are so many pun names in the Jasper Fforde series, perhaps I should also throw in a Schitt or two!  :giggle2:

Trillian, or Tricia McMillian from Douglas Adams 'Hitchhiker's Guide' series. A perfect contraction. 

Cadence Sinclair from E Lockhart's 'We Were Liars'. I think the name Cadence is wonderful! 

These names always make me smile:

Langdale Pike ~ The Complete Sherlock Holmes, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Augustus Carp  ~  Augustus Carp Esq., By Himself Being the Autobiography of a Really Good Man, by Henry H. Bashford

Haha Jones  ~  A Christmas Memory, by Truman Capote

Chunky Rice  ~  Goodbye, Chunky Rice, by Craig Thompson

Wuvable Oaf  ~  Wuvable Oaf, by Ed Luce

:D

Dickens had some great names, so did Shakespeare, I like Mistress Quickly (not sure what play she's in though).

Thursday Next is probably my favourite though.

Some great choices there, all of you :).

Thursday Next would have to be in my list. There are so many pun names in the Jasper Fforde series, perhaps I should also throw in a Schitt or two!  :giggle2:

Talking of pun names, the Stilton books have those too, they're pretty good. I don't think I could pick just five names out of all the books I've read. But I'm enjoying seeing others' suggestions.