#1 Nollaig

Nollaig

Nerdfighter

• Moderators
  • 11,891 posts
  • Reading now?:Yes.
  • LocationCork, Ireland

Posted 09 December 2015 - 11:59 AM

What's everyone's favourite Christmas song? Do you prefer carols, orchestral music, classics or modern Christmas songs? Anything on a John Lewis advert, even if it's not actually a Christmas song? Anyone break out entire radio stations made of Christmas songs, like Christmas FM (the Irish one)?

I tend to like the more melancholy classics, like Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas - strictly the version from Meet Me In St. Louis, none of this Frank Sinatra 'hang a shining star upon the highest bough' nonsense - the line is 'someday soon, we all will be together, if the fates allow - until then we'll have to muddle through somehow!'

So there.

I also adore The Christmas Waltz, covered this year by Ireland's own Lisa Hannigan for an advert for our postal service, and Aurora's cover of Half The World Away on this year's John Lewis ad.

Other notable favourites include Christmas Time (Don't Let The Bells End) by the Darkness and most Christmas carols. In The Bleak Midwinter is a particular favourite.

#2 Peacefield

Peacefield

Welcome to Robot Club

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,254 posts
  • Reading now?:Thrice the Brinded Cat Hath Mew'd by Alan Bradley
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 09 December 2015 - 04:04 PM

Hey, Miss Noll-my-Middle-Name-is-Christmas-aig!

This time of year I listen to the soundtrack for A Charlie Brown Christmas the most.  I love Vince Guaraldi's music so much, and the whole CD just gives me a good feeling.

I practically bawl every time I hear the Meet Me in St. Louis version of Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, mostly because it makes me think of my family that live so far away now and how Christmas was so much nicer when we were all living at home and together :(  I also think of the poor Smith family and how they have to move away from St. Louis to New York!  :unsure: 

I love that movie though and I also love the music from White Christmas.  It makes me want to move to Connecticut!

#3 Nollaig

Nollaig

Nerdfighter

• Moderators
  • 11,891 posts
  • LocationCork, Ireland

Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:13 AM

Clearly nobody else likes Christmas music :lol:

#4 Athena

Athena

Readaholic, BookWorm & BookEater

• Admin
  • 15,464 posts
  • LocationHelmond, the Netherlands

Posted 10 December 2015 - 01:22 PM

I do like Christmas music, but I'm struggling to think of titles of the songs I used to listen to :blush2:. I don't listen to music much anymore since I got more tired.

#5 muggle not

muggle not

Huggle A Muggle

• Supporter
  • 3,006 posts
  • Reading now?:Mistborn - Brandon Sanderson
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 10 December 2015 - 04:18 PM

I love Christmas music. There is only one Christmas song that I do not like.

My favorite may also be Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas by Judy Garland. But, I really have a lot of favorites. I prefer the old songs / singers like Perry Como, Dean Martin, Gene Autry, etc. I also enjoy the Christmas album by Boney-M.

#6 Lilywhite

Lilywhite

Defying Gravity

• Moderators
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationPreston, Lancashire

Posted 10 December 2015 - 08:33 PM

It's always a happy time when you can listen to Christmas songs and not get funny looks!  I actually managed to find a few stations on Spotify that I can listen to in my car.

There is one song I  love in particular though, it's called An Alien For Christmas by Fountains of Wayne.  It's so fun.

#7 Nollaig

Nollaig

Nerdfighter

• Moderators
  • 11,891 posts
  • LocationCork, Ireland

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:00 AM

I love Christmas music. There is only one Christmas song that I do not like.

My favorite may also be Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas by Judy Garland. But, I really have a lot of favorites. I prefer the old songs / singers like Perry Como, Dean Martin, Gene Autry, etc. I also enjoy the Christmas album by Boney-M.

I love the oldies too. Jimmy Durante's 'Make Someone Happy', even though it's not really a Christmas song, is a lovely one to hear at Christmas.

It's always a happy time when you can listen to Christmas songs and not get funny looks!  I actually managed to find a few stations on Spotify that I can listen to in my car.

There is one song I  love in particular though, it's called An Alien For Christmas by Fountains of Wayne.  It's so fun.

Hahah I've never heard that! Must look it up!

On my Christmas radio station I keep hearing 'Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer', Very strange! :giggle:

#8 muggle not

muggle not

Huggle A Muggle

• Supporter
  • 3,006 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 11 December 2015 - 01:43 PM

I love the oldies too. Jimmy Durante's 'Make Someone Happy', even though it's not really a Christmas song, is a lovely one to hear at Christmas.

Hahah I've never heard that! Must look it up!

On my Christmas radio station I keep hearing 'Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer', Very strange! :giggle:

How did you do that. You listed the "one" Christmas song that I don't like. :)

#9 Nollaig

Nollaig

Nerdfighter

• Moderators
  • 11,891 posts
  • LocationCork, Ireland

Posted 11 December 2015 - 02:04 PM

How did you do that. You listed the "one" Christmas song that I don't like. :)

Must be psychic! I can't say I like it much either.

#10 muggle not

muggle not

Huggle A Muggle

• Supporter
  • 3,006 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 11 December 2015 - 05:16 PM

Pentatonix - I first heard them sing last year and they "blew-my-socks-off". They are so good.

Edited by muggle not, 11 December 2015 - 05:16 PM.

#11 Chrissy

Chrissy

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 8,258 posts
  • Reading now?:Yes

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:12 PM

I saw them for the first time the other day, and ended up spending an hour listening to their other songs! Such talent. 

#12 woolf woolf

woolf woolf

Bibliophile

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 11 December 2015 - 11:28 PM

Auld Lang Syne
Baby, It's Cold Outside
Santa Claus is Coming to Town

#13 muggle not

muggle not

Huggle A Muggle

• Supporter
  • 3,006 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 19 December 2015 - 11:22 PM

Snoopy's Christmas - The Royal Guardsman

Edited by muggle not, 19 December 2015 - 11:23 PM.

#14 muggle not

muggle not

Huggle A Muggle

• Supporter
  • 3,006 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:53 PM

I really enjoy this song. It was written by Roger Miller in 1967 for his 2 year old boy. I like the version by Nana Mouskouri but also love the version sung by Roger.

Edited by muggle not, 21 December 2015 - 10:56 PM.

#15 shirley

shirley

Super Bookworm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Reading now?:It changes so often i cannot keep up
  • LocationGloucestershire

Posted 22 December 2015 - 03:34 PM

I love to listen to lots of different music at Christmas, my favourite though is a Fairytale of New York by the Pogues and Kirsty McColl. and Twas the night before Christmas a soldiers story.

#16 Madeleine

Madeleine

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,052 posts
  • Reading now?:A Second Chance by Jodi Taylor & End of the Roadie by Elizabeth Flynn
  • LocationSE England

Posted 22 December 2015 - 03:36 PM

I like Frankie Goes to Hollywood's "Power of Love" and Greg Lake's "I Believe in Father Christmas", which is sadly not played very often.  I don't like most of the songs used on the adverts nowadays, usually because I preferred the originals!  Out of the carols, I like Silent Night and In the Bleak Midwinter best, and also Hark the Herald Angels.

#17 muggle not

muggle not

Huggle A Muggle

• Supporter
  • 3,006 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 22 December 2015 - 04:27 PM

Another of the "old" Christmas songs. Eartha Kitt was very popular.

#18 chesilbeach

chesilbeach

Conqueror of Mount TBR

• Moderators
  • 12,220 posts
  • Reading now?:Cogheart by Peter Bunzl

Posted 23 December 2015 - 04:42 PM

That is my favourite ever Christmas song, muggle. :smile2:

I have plenty of Christmas albums in my collection, but my favourite is Ella Wishes You a Swinging Christmas by Ella Fitzgerald.  I could listen to it for hours and hours.

Others include Harry Connick Jr, Pink Martini, Dean Martin, Bing Crosby and Nat King Cole, Tony Bennett and Phil Spector.  I also have one of the Christmas compilation albums with all the Christmas pop songs from the last 40 years from Slade and Wizard, through Wham! and Kirsty MacColl and The Pogues and some more current ones too.

I also love listening to the OST of The Muppet Christmas Carol which has some additional songs that must have been recorded but cut from the final film.

#19 chesilbeach

chesilbeach

Conqueror of Mount TBR

• Moderators
  • 12,220 posts
  • Reading now?:Cogheart by Peter Bunzl

Posted 23 December 2015 - 06:06 PM

Just came across this article from a few years back about the origins of A Fairy Tale of New York with a YouTube video with the original demo recording of the song.  http://www.theguardi...hristmas-anthem

#20 muggle not

muggle not

Huggle A Muggle

• Supporter
  • 3,006 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 23 December 2015 - 09:20 PM

I seem to recall that it was your favorite last year also. :)

That is a nice collection of Christmas music that you have.....enjoy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users