The BCF Book Awards 2015

Kylie

I'm really late with this (and I still have one 2015 book to review!) but mine are...

Your favourite read of the year?

I read some great books this year and it’s hard to choose, but probably And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie. 

Your favourite author of the year?

Agatha Christie, I think!

Your most read author of the year?

Agatha Christie – 7 (6 were audio books)

Your favourite book cover of the year?

Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome or The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald (my picture of the latter doesn’t do it justice!)

058-2015-Nov-21-Swallows%20and%20Amazons 023-2015-May-28-The%20Great%20Gatsby_zps

The book you abandoned (if there was more than one, the one you read least of)?

I didn’t abandon any this year.

The book that most disappointed you?

The Phantom Tollboth by Norton Juster.  It just didn’t do it for me, I’m afraid. :(

The funniest book of the year?

The Pursuit of Love by Nancy Mitford – I got some strange looks out walking listening to this and suddenly laughing out loud! 

Your favourite literary character this year?

Don Tillman from The Rosie Project and Fanny from The Pursuit of Love

Your favourite children's book this year?

Paddington by Michael Bond for nostalgic reasons and The Mystery of the Clockwork Sparrow by Katherine Woodfine

Your favourite classic of the year?

It would always be A Christmas Carol as that’s one of my favourite books, however, if I choose a new-to-me-in-2015 one then it would be Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy

Your favourite non-fiction book this year?

The Young Ardizzone by Edward Ardizzone

Your favourite biography this year?

The Young Ardizzone by Edward Ardizzone

Your favourite collection of short stories this year?

I didn’t read any short stories this year.

Your favourite poetry collection this year?

Dorothy Wordsworth’s Christmas Birthday by Carol Ann Duffy (it’s only a single prose poem – it’s the only poetry book I read this year)

Your favourite illustrated book of the year?

Without a shadow of a doubt it has to be A Boy Called Christmas by Matt Haig – stunning!  :wub:

Your favourite publisher of the year?

I always find this one difficult to answer because I don’t select books by publisher.  I read more Penguin books than any other publisher, but I would have to answer Slightly Foxed, just for the way the book is printed and bound!

Your favourite audiobook of the year?

The Pursuit of Love by Nancy Mitford – this would have been my answer to the first question if this category didn’t exist!

Your favourite re-read of the year?

I re-read four books this year (that’s a lot for me!) – however, my favourite is always my annual read of A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.  :)

The book that most disappointed you?

The Phantom Tollboth by Norton Juster.  It just didn’t do it for me, I’m afraid. :(

The funniest book of the year?

The Pursuit of Love by Nancy Mitford – I got some strange looks out walking listening to this and suddenly laughing out loud! 

Your favourite literary character this year?

Don Tillman from The Rosie Project and Fanny from The Pursuit of Love

Your favourite children's book this year?

Paddington by Michael Bond for nostalgic reasons and .......

Your favourite classic of the year?

It would always be A Christmas Carol as that’s one of my favourite books, however, if I choose a new-to-me-in-2015 one then it would be Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy

Your favourite publisher of the year?

I always find this one difficult to answer because I don’t select books by publisher.  I read more Penguin books than any other publisher, but I would have to answer Slightly Foxed, just for the way the book is printed and bound!

I don't think I've read an awards list from someone else before where I've agreed so much with the awards! I may not have read any of these in 2016, but over the past few years these have all featured near the tops of different piles, and my feelings have been very much the same: Phantom Tollbooth vastly overrated, The Rosie Project and Pursuit of Love amongst the funniest books I've read (and I usually don't 'do' funny in reading), and with such great characters, Far From The Madding Crowd my book of the year last year, Paddington an absolute joy to read, even as a middle-aged adult (I was born the week Paddington was first published, and he's been a regular feature of my life ever since!), Slightly Foxed a favourite publisher (I'm piled high with their magazines and books!). A great list!!

Thanks, Will.  :)  I read some pretty good books in 2015.  

I finished Love in a Cold Climate by Nancy Mitford earlier this week and that was great too, and also had me chuckling.  It's not often a book makes me laugh out loud.   I'm definitely going to listen to Don't Tell Alfred and will probably try one of here lesser known (to me) books. I definitely want to read some more Hardy this year.  :)