Your Book Activity - December 2015

Athena

Oh no, I hated how

abrupt it was! We don't find out what happens, aside from Rose wheeling Catherine out of the home. Maybe 'the death squad' managed to leave before the police arrive, and get away with what they did. We'll never know! :doh:

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: It's ok Noll. It's not your fault I didn't enjoy it. :smile:

I know but I recommended it :lurker: I loved how dark and off the wall it was.

I've been reading a few kids books recently, mostly not very good. The Last Of The Spirits by Chris Priestley was a retelling of A Christmas Carol which was interesting but not particularly compelling. Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate was pretty bad.

Now I'm reading Grandpa's Great Escape by David Walliams, after seeing him on the Late Late Toy Show here talking to kids about his books. Really loving it.

Today I read Ted Hughes' The Iron Man, which was fairly good. I've now started Red Dog by Louis de Bernieres. 

In other bookish activity, I've been wrapping Christmas gifts (mostly books, of course) and attempting to make a Christmas tree out of books. I tried it once before and didn't have much luck, and I'm already on my second attempt today. It's harder than it looks! (Unless I'm being too much of a perfectionist.) The layers in my first attempt looked too thin, so I've been emptying my shelves of my thicker hardbacks (mostly biographies) to try again. There are books everywhere. Not looking forward to having to put them all back! :P

In other bookish activity, I've been wrapping Christmas gifts (mostly books, of course) and attempting to make a Christmas tree out of books. I tried it once before and didn't have much luck, and I'm already on my second attempt today. It's harder than it looks! (Unless I'm being too much of a perfectionist.) The layers in my first attempt looked too thin, so I've been emptying my shelves of my thicker hardbacks (mostly biographies) to try again. There are books everywhere. Not looking forward to having to put them all back! :P

This tree sounds amazing, if you succeed, will you post a picture :)? Good luck! It's tempting to try it myself, but on the other hand it would mean spending lots of time putting books back again after.

I'm currently reading Maureen Johnson, John Green and Lauren Myracle - Let It Snow, a book with three novellas in it that are wintery / Christmassy. Each of the stories features characters of the stories from the other authors, and they all take place in a similar area I believe. I've only read a few pages so far though so it's way too early to give any sort of opinion other than that I liked the first few pages enough to decide to read the book.

I'm giving up on The Lewis Man. It's just not grabbing me, so I will move on to something more interesting I think!

Well, first I'll finish The Year of Living Danishly, which I'm about 85% through, so will hopefully finish this week.

I'm not enjoying Grandpa's Great Escape by David Walliams as much anymore. I think this is why I didn't like Roald Dahl either growing up - I don't like silliness in books, even childrens' books. And there's a great deal of disbelief suspension required for this book. It's very well written and there's a lot about it I like, but pretty much every new event in the plot has me going, 'that wouldn't happen. Nobody would do that. That wouldn't work.' I'm most of the way through though so I'll finish it.

Also started The Thing About Jellyfish by Ali Benjamin.

I'm not enjoying Grandpa's Great Escape by David Walliams as much anymore. I think this is why I didn't like Roald Dahl either growing up - I don't like silliness in books, even childrens' books. And there's a great deal of disbelief suspension required for this book. It's very well written and there's a lot about it I like, but pretty much every new event in the plot has me going, 'that wouldn't happen. Nobody would do that. That wouldn't work.' I'm most of the way through though so I'll finish it.

I don't know about that one, but the other books I've read by David Walliams do get a bit silly (and Roald Dahl's too). Sorry you don't like it so much :(. I personally don't mind it the sillyness every once in a while in my reading but I can understand you're not too keen on it :).

I finished the second story in Let It Snow. It was nice, but I couldn't totally identify with the main character. That was really my only problem with the story. It was still enjoyable though even if it wasn't perfect.

I think this is why I didn't like Roald Dahl either growing up - I don't like silliness in books, even childrens' books. And there's a great deal of disbelief suspension required for this book. It's very well written and there's a lot about it I like, but pretty much every new event in the plot has me going, 'that wouldn't happen.

Have you ever read Dr. Seuss?

I picked up Philippa Gregory's The Other Boleyn Girl (The Tudor Court Series Book 2) to read along Lestat.  It's just too slow, I wanted something fun.

Have you ever read Dr. Seuss?

I picked up Philippa Gregory's The Other Boleyn Girl (The Tudor Court Series Book 2) to read along Lestat.  It's just too slow, I wanted something fun.

I usually enjoy Gregory's books, and this one was no exception.  :)

I'm reading several atm,  The Door by Magda Szabo, The Truth and Other Lies by Sascha Arango, and still struggling with Lumen by Ben Pastor.  Re the last one, I just can't work up enough curiosity as to who killed the victim......../sigh/ 

I usually enjoy Gregory's books, and this one was no exception.  :)

I'm reading several atm,  The Door by Magda Szabo, The Truth and Other Lies by Sascha Arango, and still struggling with Lumen by Ben Pastor.  Re the last one, I just can't work up enough curiosity as to who killed the victim......../sigh/ 

That is great to know- she is pretty reliable, that's why I picked it!  Well, and I've been wanting to read it for awhile now :)  I'm with ya on your second book, as I struggle with The Vampire Lestat.  I just don't think I care!

Just completed Rosemary Sutcliffe's Romano-Britis novel The Eagle of the Ninth.  A good, old-fashioned adventure story, the sort that doesn't seem to get written any more (?).  Brilliant!  It may nominally be a children's book, but it's one of those older-fashioned children's classics, alongside books like Treasure Island, Kidnapped, The Jungle Book etc. that are just as satisfying for an adult to read.

Edited by willoyd

I finished Chrissy Manby - Benson Family 3: A Proper Family Adventure yesterday and have just started Chrissy Manby - Benson Family 4: A Wedding at Christmas this morning.

I've also been busy thinking about my 2016 reading log and writing bits for it in .txt files (documents), and writing on my summary for my reading in 2015. I do love doing these things :).

I've also been busy thinking about my 2016 reading log and writing bits for it in .txt files (documents), and writing on my summary for my reading in 2015. I do love doing these things :).

I do mine in .txt files too! :) I've been thinking of setting up my 2016 log but keep thinking it's too early and I should wait a bit longer.

I'm looking forward to reading your summary and seeing your graphs for 2015. :) I've been neglecting Book Collector lately. :( I only just entered the last six months' of purchases (thankfully I haven't been buying many books) and I haven't been adding my ratings/reading dates for the books of read. And of course I haven't done any extra work to add information for all the books that are already there!  :doh:

I do mine in .txt files too! :) I've been thinking of setting up my 2016 log but keep thinking it's too early and I should wait a bit longer.

I'm looking forward to reading your summary and seeing your graphs for 2015. :) I've been neglecting Book Collector lately. :( I only just entered the last six months' of purchases (thankfully I haven't been buying many books) and I haven't been adding my ratings/reading dates for the books of read. And of course I haven't done any extra work to add information for all the books that are already there!  :doh:

Nice :)! I agree, I will wait a bit longer too. I've still got to take new photos of my book cases and do my book collection statistics, but I want to wait a bit longer. I don't plan on buying any more books myself (I will get a gift), but you never know :P.

Thanks! I look forward to see your new thread :).

I finished reading Agatha Christie's The Mysterious Affair at Styles. Loved it!! Halfway through reading it I realised that I have Hercule Poirot's Christmas on my TBR pile, so I'm going to read that before the end of the year. :)

I've been reading All The Bright Places by Jennifer Niven, which seems to be winning YA awards and being met with critical acclaim and.... no. It's pretty awful. But I'm most of the way through now so I'm going to finish it for the sake of finishing it, but it's so flat and forced and pretentious I want to smack everyone who likes it with their copy of it!!!