Your Book Activity - December 2015

Athena

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just started Gwen Raverat's Period Piece, one of the Slightly Foxed editions of memoirs.

Continuing to read and enjoy, but squeezed in Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None, so that I can watch the TV version on Boxing Day and not spoil the book. Read it years ago, and sort of remembered part of the solution, but still didn't work it out even then. Clever, very clever! My twentieth book in the English Counties Challenge too.

Edited by willoyd

I've scoured the 12 Days of Kindle and come away with these:

The Windup Girl - Paolo Bacigalupi

Geek Girl - Holly Smale

Watership Down - Richard Adams

Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides

Leviathan Wakes - James Corey

I Think You'll Find It's a Bit More Complicated Than That - Ben Goldacre

The Miniaturist - Jessie Burton

Do No Harm: Stories of Life, Death and Brain Surgery - Henry Marsh

A Time of Silence - Thorne Moore

A Man Called Ove - Fredrik Backman

Apple Tree Yard - Louise Doughty

The Midwife's Confession - Diane Chamberlain

Handle With Care - Jodi Picoult

The Human Universe - Brian Cox

And that's only day one of the sales....:thud:

ha ha Good Luck!  I'm not even looking at sales (except maybe The Bookseller).  I've had Ove on my list for awhile, if you like It, you might like Catherine Ryan Hyde.

I've stalled in my reading, I gave myself the day off yesterday, but just don't feel like reading today.  I guess I will see what the rest of the day brings.  I am in the middle of A Christmas Carol and 100 pages into The Thorn Birds.

The Windup Girl - Paolo Bacigalupi

Geek Girl - Holly Smale

Watership Down - Richard Adams

Leviathan Wakes - James Corey

I Think You'll Find It's a Bit More Complicated Than That - Ben Goldacre

The Miniaturist - Jessie Burton

Do No Harm: Stories of Life, Death and Brain Surgery - Henry Marsh

A Time of Silence - Thorne Moore

Apple Tree Yard - Louise Doughty

The Midwife's Confession - Diane Chamberlain

Handle With Care - Jodi Picoult

The Human Universe - Brian Cox

And that's only day one of the sales.... :thud:

I hope you enjoy these :D! I've read a couple of them and I liked those. Enjoy :readingtwo:!

I'm still reading Trudi Canavan - The Age of the Five 1: Priestess of the White. I'm almost half way through (50%) and I'm really enjoying it. I'm reading a bit less this last week of December because of all the holiday events and such, but that doesn't mean I'm not enjoying the book :).

ha ha Good Luck!  I'm not even looking at sales (except maybe The Bookseller).  I've had Ove on my list for awhile, if you like It, you might like Catherine Ryan Hyde.

Someone on here recently read it - Frankie, maybe?  I'd made a mental note of it, and as it's only £0.99, what do I have to lose? :D Catherine Ryan Hyde is another one whose books I want to read, but I just never seem to get the chance.

I hope you enjoy these :D! I've read a couple of them and I liked those. Enjoy :readingtwo:!

Thanks! It may be a while before I get to them, at my current rate of purchasing vs reading. :giggle2:

This was one of the first SK books I ever read. I borrowed it off my brother when I was in my teens. Is this the one that has The Lawnmower Man story? If not, it must be the other short story collection I read around that time (name escapes me at the moment). Ooh, and does it have the story about the trucks (I think it's actually called Trucks)?

It was in Finnish and so the titles of the stories were in Finnish. So I don't really know if it contains TLM :unsure:  Or the Trucks, for that matter! I wasn't in the mood for short stories in the end and so I took it back to the library. I could've read one story per day if it had been a normal, unfestive time, but what with having to travel and wanting to read a novel, I just didn't feel like continuing with it :( 

Someone on here recently read it - Frankie, maybe?  I'd made a mental note of it, and as it's only £0.99, what do I have to lose? :D Catherine Ryan Hyde is another one whose books I want to read, but I just never seem to get the chance.

I read it last year so if it was a recent recommendation/review, it can't have been me. But I did love the novel and I'm so pleased to see a few members on here getting the novel :exc: I hope you will enjoy it, and hey, at least it was a bargain :DMiddlesex is also great, I hope you enjoy that one, too! :) 

I read Gill Lewis's Puppy Academy: Star on Stormy Mountain yesterday evening.  It's a book for very young kids, but it's about a border collie and working dogs, so OH couldn't resist buying it for me :lol: 

Today, I'm going to start Heartsong by Kevin Crossley-Holland and Jane Ray. :)

It was in Finnish and so the titles of the stories were in Finnish. So I don't really know if it contains TLM :unsure:  Or the Trucks, for that matter! I wasn't in the mood for short stories in the end and so I took it back to the library. I could've read one story per day if it had been a normal, unfestive time, but what with having to travel and wanting to read a novel, I just didn't feel like continuing with it :(

I ended up looking it up and it turns out I was confusing Skeleton Crew with Night Shift (I always confuse them). I'm nearly positive that I've read Skeleton Crew before, but none of the titles sounded familiar when I looked it up. But the stories in Night Shift (including the two I asked you about) are very familiar to me. I think I must have read the book 2 or 3 times. Either that or the stories were so creepy that they really had a lasting effect on me!

Anyway, the reason I asked about The Lawnmower Man is because my mum has a gardener that comes to her place occasionally to mow her lawns. She kept calling him The Lawnmower Man (not knowing anything about Stephen King) and I had to ask her to stop because it kept reminding me of the creepy dude in that story.  :lol: Now she calls him by his actual name. :D

I'm still reading Inkdeath. Determined to finish it by the end of the year, even though I'm busy with work. Also reading a novella (actually, just noticed that it's two short stories) by GK Chesterton called The Strange Crime of John Boulnois.

I ended up looking it up and it turns out I was confusing Skeleton Crew with Night Shift (I always confuse them). I'm nearly positive that I've read Skeleton Crew before, but none of the titles sounded familiar when I looked it up. But the stories in Night Shift (including the two I asked you about) are very familiar to me. I think I must have read the book 2 or 3 times. Either that or the stories were so creepy that they really had a lasting effect on me!

Maybe none of the titles sound familiar now, just going by the title, but if you started reading the book, it might jolt your memory and do its magic on you and you'd remember you've read it. But then again, King is very good at making everlasting impressions with his writing skills, so it might be that you've read the book only once :D Good old Stephen King <3 

Anyway, the reason I asked about The Lawnmower Man is because my mum has a gardener that comes to her place occasionally to mow her lawns. She kept calling him The Lawnmower Man (not knowing anything about Stephen King) and I had to ask her to stop because it kept reminding me of the creepy dude in that story.  :lol: Now she calls him by his actual name. :D

That is too funny :lol: Poor Kylie's Mom who had no idea :D Did she call him that to his face? Probably not, she probably just used that name when talking to your and your brother. But imagine if she'd called him that and he'd r :hide: ead the story :D And liked the nickname, too! (I wonder if your Mom's now tempted to read the story!)

I'm still reading Inkdeath. Determined to finish it by the end of the year, even though I'm busy with work. Also reading a novella (actually, just noticed that it's two short stories) by GK Chesterton called The Strange Crime of John Boulnois.

Hoping against hope that you'll enjoy Inkdeath! Or that at least it doesn't drag on endlessly.  :readingtwo:

I started reading A Boy Named Christmas by Matt Haig last night in bed. Liked what I read! :smile2: Didn't manage much, though, before falling asleep (it had been a long, long day). 

I read it last year so if it was a recent recommendation/review, it can't have been me. But I did love the novel and I'm so pleased to see a few members on here getting the novel :exc: I hope you will enjoy it, and hey, at least it was a bargain :DMiddlesex is also great, I hope you enjoy that one, too! :)

I don't know.....maybe you commented on it recently, and that why I think it was you?

Middlesex has been on my wishlist for a while now, so I was chuffed to see it so cheap. :boogie:

Still working my way through Death Descends on Saturn Villa which is a tad slow. It's still readable, but it's not as good as the first of the series.

I don't know.....maybe you commented on it recently, and that why I think it was you?

Very possible! Wherever I see someone mentioning the book, I'll tell them I loved it and that I hope they'll love it, too :D Both here and on Goodreads. And there's been a few of those occasions on here lately, which brings me joy :smile2:

Middlesex has been on my wishlist for a while now, so I was chuffed to see it so cheap. :boogie:

Awesome! :lol: Such a great read in a few different aspects/themes.