Your Book Activity - December 2015

Athena

No idea what fiction I will read next....maybe The Exit by Helen Fitzgerald.

:exc:

I finished Slade House by David Mitchell. A lot about it that I liked, a bit too much telling rather than showing towards the end.

Next up will be one of several kids books, I think - Grandpa's Great Escape by David Walliams, Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate, The Last of the Spirits by Chris Priestley or The Accidental Afterlife of Thomas Marsden by Emma Trevayne. Whatever I order I read them in, they're my planned reading for the remainder of the weekend for the read-a-thon :)

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you read any Walliams before, Noll? I saw an interview with him on TV the other day where he was described as (to paraphrase) 'finally, a worthy successor to Roald Dahl'.

No, and I didn't like Dahl as a kid. Walliams was on the Late Late Toy Show here last week, and him/the host/the kids were talking about his newest book, Grandpa's Great Escape, and it *sounded* like a great read, so I wanted to give him a go :)

It's been a while since I saw the movie, but I don't recall it being that bad. Maybe I was distracted by Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt though. :lol:

I read Random Acts of Senseless Violence recently, and thought it was quite good, but I can see why some people wouldn't be that keen on it. The writing style isn't the easiest to read.

I finished The Radleys last night, and have gone back to The Year of Living Danishly. No idea what fiction I will read next....maybe The Exit by Helen Fitzgerald.

I liked the movie, til I read the book! :lol: I am keeping with Random Acts, your reading it inspired me :)

How was The Radley's?

I am also now reading Vampire Lestat, I couldn't help myself :P

Last night I almost finished A Private View by Michael Innes. But the last page was missing! (I got it second hand).

It's an old murder mystery from the 1950's and I really enjoyed it.

I actually Joined this forum in hopes of finding someone who might have the last page and now I think I will be reading things here instead of studying for exams... :blush2:

The next book I have waiting is a biography- H is for Halk, Helen Macdonald. looking forward!

I liked the movie, til I read the book! :lol: I am keeping with Random Acts, your reading it inspired me :)

How was The Radley's?

I am also now reading Vampire Lestat, I couldn't help myself :P

Oh no, I hope you enjoy Random Acts. :hide: (More than Station Eleven!! :hide: )

The Radleys was good....a bit unusual, but in a good way.

I don't recall if I read The Vampire Lestat....if I did, I don't remember any of it!

I'm massively behind with reviews. Got a new job so I'm heavily into audiobooks and podcasts but still finding some time for the kindle!

Raced through another Jodi Taylor, this time A Second Chance, the third in the St Mary's series. I spent the day in bed ill and I turned to what is a fantastic series and finished it in a day. 

Now reading Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacsson. What a visionary, but what an unpleasant man. Great book though :D

Now reading Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacsson. What a visionary, but what an unpleasant man. Great book though :D

Glad to see you back!

I was going to ask you if you knew his last words, but that might spoil it! It was really cool :)

Oh no, I hope you enjoy Random Acts. :hide: (More than Station Eleven!! :hide: )

You know, I've been reading in it most of the day and its not bad.  I have only read two other teenage diaries, so it is a different format.

The Radleys was good....a bit unusual, but in a good way.

That's... intriguing :)  I look forward to it, even if I hated Reasons to Stay Alive :roll:

I don't recall if I read The Vampire Lestat....if I did, I don't remember any of it!

Its basically Lestat's story... somehow I've gotten *sucked* in ha ha

Raced through another Jodi Taylor, this time A Second Chance, the third in the St Mary's series. I spent the day in bed ill and I turned to what is a fantastic series and finished it in a day.

Great fun, aren't they?! The sort of series where you know it's not 'great' writing, where one could nitpick to kingdom come, but which carries you along with the sheer energy and enjoyment of the story telling. I've loved them so far.

On a different tack, I've just finished Deborah Rodriguez's book The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul, the December choice for my book group. Whilst not my worst book of the year ( it'll take a major cataclysm to shift Divergent from that position), it definitely makes the short list. One of those books where you feel you're wasting valuable reading time, but had to complete it as I am hosting the meeting this month. At least it's behind me now. Sixty books up too - only the third time I've ever achieved that in a year as an adult, and just three below my record.

Edited by willoyd

Next up will be one of several kids books, I think - Grandpa's Great Escape by David Walliams, Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate, The Last of the Spirits by Chris Priestley or The Accidental Afterlife of Thomas Marsden by Emma Trevayne. Whatever I order I read them in, they're my planned reading for the remainder of the weekend for the read-a-thon :)

I haven't read Grandpa's Great Escape but I look forward to hear what you think of it. I've read a couple of other books by David Walliams and liked those. 

I own this book, it was given to me as a gift. Glad to hear it's a good book :).

Finally got around to starting, reading and enjoying 'The Snow Child'

I quite liked this book, I hope you do too :).

I'm just finishing off some A Song of Ice and Fire graphic novels and then I'll move on to some Christmassy novellas on my Kindle.

I must get around to reading the rest of the books. I have only read the first one, but loved it and bought the next two as a Kindle boxset.

Finally got around to starting, reading and enjoying 'The Snow Child'

I read this last Christmas (or maybe the year before) and really enjoyed it.

That's... intriguing :)  I look forward to it, even if I hated Reasons to Stay Alive :roll:

I haven't read that one, but I do remember reading a lot of divided opinions about it. I thought the synopsis (which I can't remember at the moment) sounded interesting, but I haven't bought it yet.

Its basically Lestat's story... somehow I've gotten *sucked* in ha ha

:D Yeah, that can happen with vampire stories. :P

I've bought 3 Kindle books today/last night:

The Little Stranger - Sarah Waters

Alone In Berlin - Hans Fallada

The Good Father - Noah Hawley

Last night I almost finished A Private View by Michael Innes. But the last page was missing! (I got it second hand).

It's an old murder mystery from the 1950's and I really enjoyed it.

I actually Joined this forum in hopes of finding someone who might have the last page and now I think I will be reading things here instead of studying for exams... :blush2:

The next book I have waiting is a biography- H is for Halk, Helen Macdonald. looking forward!

Oh, that's frustrating.  Maybe a local library might have a copy? 

I finished my annual re-read of A Christmas Carol this morning.  Such a wonderful book.  :wub:

I bought Fingersmith by Sarah Waters on Kindle yesterday as it was on offer and I've had it on my wish list for several years.  I will leave it until the new year to read it.

I've bought 3 Kindle books today/last night:

The Little Stranger - Sarah Waters

Alone In Berlin - Hans Fallada

The Good Father - Noah Hawley

I hope you like them- where do you get your recommendations?  The only one I've heard of is Alone in Berlin.

I finished my annual re-read of A Christmas Carol this morning.  Such a wonderful book.  :wub:

I do the audio of that while I wrap presents :)  Love it each year, even though its only been a few years now.  Its a good tradition, I've been looking forward to it this year.

I have about 40 pages left in Random Acts of Senseless Violence.  I'm glad I stuck with it.  Maybe something shorter for the rest of today and then, back to Lestat on Monday.

Edited by Anna Begins

I do the audio of that while I wrap presents :)  Love it each year, even though its only been a few years now.  Its a good tradition, I've been looking forward to it this year.

I have an audio version but I've not actually listened to it yet!  I always intend to, but then I end up reading it. I shall never tire of it, and it's one of those tales that will never date - it's something that is still relevant today.

I have many DVD versions too, and yesterday I watched a modern version of it ('Eddie' Scrooge is a loan shark) which is not a perfect adaptation, but nevertheless I really like it.  I haven't seen it since it was first shown on TV many years ago - I wish they'd release it on DVD.

Enjoy your listening.  :)

I bought Fingersmith by Sarah Waters on Kindle yesterday as it was on offer and I've had it on my wish list for several years.  I will leave it until the new year to read it.

Did you get The Little Stranger as well? That one is on offer too.

I hope you like them- where do you get your recommendations?  The only one I've heard of is Alone in Berlin.

Mostly from on here. I also like reading a lot of 'Books You Must Read' type lists, to see what other people are enjoying.

The Little Stranger, is because I liked Fingersmith. Alone In Berlin is because the synopsis sounds like something I'd like, after hearing Brian mention it quite a bit. The Good Father is actually a mix up. Diane Chamberlain wrote a book with the same title, and someone was praising it, but it turns out they were talking about the Noah Hawley book, and once I read up on it I thought it sounded really good.

I have about 40 pages left in Random Acts of Senseless Violence.  I'm glad I stuck with it.  Maybe something shorter for the rest of today and then, back to Lestat on Monday.

Lots of changes in those last 40 pages. I'm glad you are glad you stuck with it! :D:P

Hello!!! I konow, it's been soooooooo long.. I'm sorry, I'm so busy. I've been reading a lot though, just finished The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes (highly recomanded) and Lexapros and Cons by Aaron Karo. I hope to be more active in this wonderful forum from now on

I have an audio version but I've not actually listened to it yet!  I always intend to, but then I end up reading it. I shall never tire of it, and it's one of those tales that will never date - it's something that is still relevant today.

I have many DVD versions too, and yesterday I watched a modern version of it ('Eddie' Scrooge is a loan shark) which is not a perfect adaptation, but nevertheless I really like it.  I haven't seen it since it was first shown on TV many years ago - I wish they'd release it on DVD.

Enjoy your listening.  :)

Thanks!  It sounds like you're having fun with the tale also.  Such a good story!

Lots of changes in those last 40 pages. I'm glad you are glad you stuck with it! :D:P

:o oh my gosh yes!

Mostly from on here. I also like reading a lot of 'Books You Must Read' type lists, to see what other people are enjoying.

The Little Stranger, is because I liked Fingersmith. Alone In Berlin is because the synopsis sounds like something I'd like, after hearing Brian mention it quite a bit. The Good Father is actually a mix up. Diane Chamberlain wrote a book with the same title, and someone was praising it, but it turns out they were talking about the Noah Hawley book, and once I read up on it I thought it sounded really good.

I hope you enjoy them, recommendations to make are always so :hide:

I am only 100 pages in The Vampire Lestat as I took part in the read a thon.  Yesterday was not a good reading day for me at all.  I just got bored with the act of reading :blush2: I don't know how that is possible!

I just got bored with the act of reading :blush2: I don't know how that is possible!

I think we all get that from time to time :empathy::friends0:. I hope you will feel more like reading soon :).

I'm currently reading Scarlett Bailey - Secret Santa. It started off a bit confusing, but I've only just started reading it. It seems to take place in the same town as two of her other books, one which I've read and the other which I haven't yet read.

I finished The Exit by Helen Fitzgerald. Thought it was ok, but didn't like the ending.

Now I'm reading The Lewis Man, which I've only just realised is a sequel. I think it can be read as a standalone book though, so I shall continue with it.