#1 Virginia

Virginia

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:14 PM

So, piggy backing off of Athena's great Thanksgiving post, I decided to do one for Christmas.

Has anyone planned out their Christmas feast menu yet? Do you save all the goodies for one day or will you spread them out throughout the month of December? Or, do you do both? I think I'm going to spread them out during December and do one fantastic dessert for Christmas dinner.

Right now the main course will either be a goose or lamb

macaroni and cheese (not for the weak)

collard greens

sweet potatoes with marshmellows

deviled eggs

potato salad

green salad

dinner rolls

Desserts

fruit cake (family recipe)

punch bowl cake

banana pudding

Christmas cookies

sweet potato pie

pecan pie

coconut cake

caramel cake

Mind you, the desserts will be consumed throughout the month. This way everyone will get their favorite dessert without it being a baking nightmare for ME!

What's on YOUR menu?

#2 Nollaig

Nollaig

Nerdfighter

• Moderators
  • 11,862 posts
  • Reading now?:Yes.
  • LocationCork, Ireland

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:22 PM

I don't cook the dinner (I help Mammy with the stuffing and chop up the veggies and stuff, but she does the bulk of it) but we always have the standard roast. Turkey, ham, sausage stuffing, roast potatoes, carrots, brussels sprouts and gravy. Mum and dad will probably have mince pies and Christmas Pudding or Christmas cake, but I don't like any of those, so I'll be in the corner with my tins of Cadbury's biscuits munching those instead!

#3 Kell

Kell

Star of the Show!

• Moderators
  • 10,143 posts
  • Reading now?:Not as much as I'd like!
  • LocationThe Frozen North

Posted 30 November 2015 - 11:18 PM

Breakfast on Xmas morning is always bacon butties in our house. I'll have mine with a mimosa (yes, boozing at breakfast - it's the only time in the year I do it - LOL!)

For dinner (which we'll have around 1-ish) I'll be roasting a turkey (I roast it the night before), and will have proper turkey gravy to go with it. None of us like sage ad onion stuffing, so it will be served with:

• Potatoes (mashed and roasted)
  • swede (mashed)
  • parsnips and butternut squash (roasted)
  • carrots, brussel sprouts, broccoli and cauliflower (steamed)
  • chestnuts (roasted)
  • skirlie (Scottish oatmeal stuffing - just for me - delicious!)
  • pork sausage stuffing (for Dale and the boys - I'm not a fan)
  • pigs in blankets (just Dale and the boys - I'm not a fan)
  • cranberry sauce
  • Yorkshire puddings
  • peas and sweetcorn

Dessert will be:

• Xmas pudding with lashings of brandy sauce (for me - I'm the only one who likes them)
  • Chocolate volcano pudding with custard (for Dale and the boys)

At teatime we'll pick at things and I'll maybe have a wee mince pie with a generous dollop of brandy butter. Things like turkey sarnies are always in order, and no doubt everyone will be pigging out on Xmas chocolates and truffles etc.

I will have a couple of glasses of wine, probably made into spritzers to be honest, throughout the day, but one or two will be more than enough for me. I may treat myself to a wee snifter of my homemade blackberry liqueur in the evening after the kids have gone to bed though. ;)

#4 Virginia

Virginia

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:26 AM

I love your menu but I'm not sure what sarnies and butties are. Sounds intriguing!

#5 Athena

Athena

Readaholic, BookWorm & BookEater

• Admin
  • 15,437 posts
  • LocationHelmond, the Netherlands

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:18 AM

This thread is making me hungry :P. All the menus sound great :D. I would love to taste some of your meals!

On December 25 we'll be celebrating Michael's birthday, so what we eat is his birthday dinner which will be 'gourmet' (various kinds of meat grilled on plates, plus bread and vegetables grilled and raw).

On December 26 we'll be celebrating Christmas with the family. For brunch we'll probably have 'stol' (some kind of Christmas bread with something nutty that I am unsure how to translate) and maybe homemade buns. For dinner everyone makes a dish, the menu will be such:

1. Salmon pastry
2. Tomato soup (the first three courses will also have homemade bread with them)
3. Filled egg, filled pepper, filled mushroom (this will be our dish)
4. My dad's classic pastries with ragout
5. Spoom, this time it will be lemon lime sorbet icecream with a bit of alcohol
6. Main dish, consisting of a piece of meat, asparagus wrapped in bacon and potato bits. For meat we have 10 things in total, 5 different choices. Choices of rabbit (for my granddad, I don't like it), lamb (for Michael), duck, veal and pheasant. I don't know yet what I'll have, I guess it depends on what other people want. I'd be happy to do half and half too with someone.
7. Dessert (I don't know what my brother and his girlfriend will make)
8. Mini bavarois (they've become sort of a tradition now. When my dad broke his leg on Christmas day, this was the highlight my mum and I had for dinner that day. We scrapped the Christmas dinner because my dad was in the hospital)
9. Coffee + Christmas chocolate (I'm normally filled up by this time so I don't think I'll be having it, I don't like coffee anyway)

#6 shirley

shirley

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Reading now?:It changes so often i cannot keep up
  • LocationGloucestershire

Posted 01 December 2015 - 04:42 PM

I love your menu but I'm not sure what sarnies and butties are. Sounds intriguing!

Virginia sarnies and butties are Sandwiches.  We all have different ways of saying this.

#7 justmeandatea

justmeandatea

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationWest Yorkshire, UK

Posted 08 December 2015 - 11:39 AM

Oh wow! Reading this has got me hungry!

For the last few years we've spent Christmas with my grandparents. Imagine incredibly long table, chairs at different heights and bowls flying everywhere! So the cooking on Christmas Day isn't something we get to do since my nan has it all under control. We usually have becon sandiwhces for breakfast, with dinner around 2pm. We're having dinner with them again this Christmas, but I'm throwing my own 'not quite Christmas' dinner this weekend for my parents and brother. I really can't wait! The question is, do I get crackers and make it full on Christmas? Haha my husband doesn't share the excitement.

On the menu is turkey and gammon, pigs in blankets, pork sausage stuffing, Yorkshire puddings, mashed and roasted potatoes, swede, carrots, brocolli, sprouts with butter and bacon and peas. Dessert will likely be a chocolate cake offering (for my brother who is so fussy with pudding!), a fruit crumble with custard and a trifle. I've also made my own Christmas cake and mince pies which I'm sure will go down nicely with a coffee later on!

#8 Onion Budgie

Onion Budgie

Avid Reader

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 15 December 2015 - 07:04 PM

Well, for Christmas Eve, I'll set out a large tray of nibbles around mid-afternoon: cheese, onion and garlic dips, breadsticks, celery & carrot sticks, Brie, mini scotch eggs, crackers and grapes, which are all delicious and easy to pick from.

On Christmas Day itself, I'll never bother with breakfast.  The main menu is turkey, with stuffing, mashed potatoes, broccoli, mashed carrot & swede, green beans, and brussels sprouts, plus the gravy, of course.  For the first time ever this year, I'm also making pigs in blankets.   :smile:  Dessert this year should be red velvet cake, with or without ice cream.

Boxing Day will see piles of Bubble & Squeak, with ham and leftover turkey, picked onions and beetroot, and coleslaw.  I'm not sure if this isn't better than the Christmas Day grub!

Edited by Onion Budgie, 15 December 2015 - 07:07 PM.

#9 Virginia

Virginia

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 December 2015 - 07:11 PM

Swede is a rutabaga and bubble and squeak is like a quiche made from leftover veggies, right? What fascinating names!

#10 Onion Budgie

Onion Budgie

Avid Reader

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 15 December 2015 - 07:16 PM

Swede is a rutabaga and bubble and squeak is like a quiche made from leftover veggies, right? What fascinating names!

Yes, that's right.   :D   The Bubble & Squeak is just thrown into a frying pan with plenty of oil, flattened with a spatula, and fried at a high heat until it turns golden brown.  So delicious!

#11 Talisman

Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • 3,249 posts
  • Reading now?:Before Night Falls: Reinaldo Arenas
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 20 December 2015 - 05:00 PM

This year I am cooking a carrot, celery and pine nut roast. My shopping list (most of which I have bought already will be): 

Carrots

Celery

Pine Nuts

Eggs

Nutmeg

Black Pepper

Sea Salt

Potatoes

Rice Bran Oil

Cauliflower Cheese

Peas

a few more carrots

Red Onions

Roast Onion Gravy

Horseradish Sauce

Cranberry Sauce

Yorkshire Puddings (Gluten Free) 

Sage and Onion Stuffing (Gluten Free)

and for dessert

Christmas Puddings (also gluten free and made by our fantastic chef Steve at work)

Custard

I have a few beers that I bought home from Poland in October that will nicely wash it all down.    

#12 Janet

Janet

Rebel Without A Clue!

• Admin
  • 9,774 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:45 PM

On Christmas day we have croissants for breakfast.  Lunch is rare roast beef with roast and mashed potatoes, mashed swede, sprouts (lots of sprouts!), carrots, broccoli and green beans, stuffing, pigs in blankets and Yorkshire puddings!

We don't have room for Christmas pudding after the meal, but I don't like it anyway.  When we do have dessert, I have a steamed syrup sponge pudding (made by my Mum) and my daughter has a chocolate pudding!

In the evening it's cheese and biscuits, prawns and smoked salmon.

Boxing Day will see piles of Bubble & Squeak, with ham and leftover turkey, picked onions and beetroot, and coleslaw.  I'm not sure if this isn't better than the Christmas Day grub!

Boxing day is cold beef served with hot bubble and squeak - with a fried egg on top!  Like Onion Budgie (sorry, I don't know your real name) I enjoy this as much as, if not more than, Christmas day's lunch!

#13 Peacefield

Peacefield

Welcome to Robot Club

• Advanced Member
  • 6,254 posts
  • Reading now?:Thrice the Brinded Cat Hath Mew'd by Alan Bradley
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 21 December 2015 - 09:35 PM

Yum, all this food sounds so good, even if I don't know what everything is! Ha!

We'll have a nice egg/veggie quiche for breakfast and for dinner this year we're having a beef roast, asparagus, salad, and super-yummy but so bad for me corn dish baked in the oven.  Corn is involved as well as cream, butter and cornbread.  I'm going to try very hard to only have a little bit but we'll see how it goes!

I'm not sure on dessert yet.  We usually get individual little pastries or slices of cake from a bakery nearby, that way we don't have a lot of leftovers sitting around for days.  

#14 Chrissy

Chrissy

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 8,254 posts
  • Reading now?:Yes

Posted 22 December 2015 - 07:17 AM

We will start the day with tea and toast, then mid afternoon we will be having gammon, mash potatoes (for husband), roast parsnips (for me), roast potatoes, mashed swede, steamed sprouts, leeks in cheese sauce, and as a gravy tomato soup! 

#15 Janet

Janet

Rebel Without A Clue!

• Admin
  • 9,774 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 22 December 2015 - 06:21 PM

Tomato soup?!  That's... different!  :lol:

I love gammon.  I'd happily have that on Christmas day (or pork) but my Mum doesn't eat either!

#16 Onion Budgie

Onion Budgie

Avid Reader

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 22 December 2015 - 08:06 PM

Tomato soup gravy is new to me as well!  :D  Does it really go well with gammon, Chrissy?

I haven't had gammon in donkey's years!  It's commonly paired with pineapple.  Hmm, maybe something to try again in the New Year.  :)

#17 Chrissy

Chrissy

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 8,254 posts
  • Reading now?:Yes

Posted 22 December 2015 - 08:38 PM

I was persuaded to try the combination when I married my husband, and discovered that the two work together very well. Not sure I could face gammon and pineapple together now.  :D  

#18 muggle not

muggle not

Huggle A Muggle

• Supporter
  • 3,000 posts
  • Reading now?:Mistborn - Brandon Sanderson
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 22 December 2015 - 10:49 PM

I have never had gammon but i would think it should pair wonderfully with pineapple. We pair pineapple and ham all the time and it is delicious. We also have a form of tomato gravy with ham but I wouldn't call it tomato soup.

#19 Anna Begins

Anna Begins

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 4,272 posts
  • Reading now?:1984 and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 December 2015 - 11:23 PM

We pair pineapple and ham all the time and it is delicious.

This is what we are doing for Christmas night, with homemade applesauce and homemade shells and cheese (instead of macaroni).

Christmas morning is really our special meal.  We do quiche too, but one always has to be eggs and ham.  Scrambled eggs and ham is our tradition, I just turned it into quiche one year.  The other will be sausage, mushroom and chives.  We will also have red roasted potatoes with garlic and sourdough toast.  We used to have around 12 people, but now its just the 3 or 4 of us.

On New Year's eve, we are making a stew of beef tips, small red potatoes with skin on, mushrooms, baby carrots, barley, lentils and corn.  Leftovers on NY day.  Can't wait!

#20 chesilbeach

chesilbeach

Conqueror of Mount TBR

• Moderators
  • 12,204 posts
  • Reading now?:Cogheart by Peter Bunzl

Posted 23 December 2015 - 04:32 PM

We don't eat breakfast or lunch on Christmas Day, but just have the one big meal at about 4pm usually.  It's all vegetarian, and will probably be a parsnip, leek and cream cheese lattice, puff pastry mushroom pinwheels, roast potatoes, roast parsnip, lemon and thyme stuffing, sage and onion stuffing, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, swede, sprouts (not for me, bleurgh), cranberry sauce and gravy.

We'll wait a few hours and then at about 8pm have christmas pudding with ice cream for me, while OH will have his with clotted and single cream.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users