Favourite Author

BookShelfy91

My absolute favourite author is Ali Smith.  She writes like no one else and I become lost in her writing whenever I read her books.  I think she stands head and shoulders above my other favourite authors, and she's even someone I'm prepared to buy her books in hardback editions as I can't wait for paperbacks to be released, or I will pay full price for the ebook for and then buy a hard copy later when the paperback comes out.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

So I recently finished the free ebook sample on my phone of Interview With a Vampire and admittedly I am hooked. I now need to track down the book, although..it might have to wait. I may have made a deal with my fiance...I agreed that because there are books in my book case and ebook samples on my phone that I haven't read yet I have to read those first before I can buy any more books. Which I thought was fair enough...until I wrote a list of all the ebooks and books that I haven't read...there was over 200. My list is 3 pages long, I am making progress with it and have started colour coding the books I like and the ones I don't. I say a few months and I should be done....in theory anyway.

Shelfy

I have a lot of authors that I tend to come back to. That being said, Kiera Cass seems to be the only author I have explored so far who has not disappointed me with her writing. I did discover a new author named Marilynne Robinson in one of my classes this semester whose book Gilead blew me away. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a genuine outlook on life and family relationships. You won't be disappointed!

I have a lot of authors that I tend to come back to. That being said, Kiera Cass seems to be the only author I have explored so far who has not disappointed me with her writing. I did discover a new author named Marilynne Robinson in one of my classes this semester whose book Gilead blew me away. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a genuine outlook on life and family relationships. You won't be disappointed!

That's good to hear about Kiera Cass, as I plan on The Selection this year.  Also liked Gilead :)

Edited by Anna Begins

That's good to hear about Kiera Cass, as I plan on The Selection this year.  Also liked Gilead :)

The Selection was awesome. I read it in one sitting! Have you read the sequel to Gilead? I think it's called Home...It's definitely one of my top to-read books for 2016!

Claire, what kinds of books does Ali Smith write?

I love getting recommendations so will read any author if the genre/story line appeals to me.  The following are those authors, however, that I will ALWAYS read no matter what and I'll rush out to buy their new hardcover copies the minute they come out.

Iain Pears

Matthew Pearl

Donna Tartt

Elizabeth Kostova

Tracy Chevalier

Favourite authors no longer writing:

Penelope Lively

Ruth Rendell

aka Barbara Vine

Anita Brookner

P D James

Henning Mankel

Current authors who new book I would buy:

Elizabeth George

Laura Wilson

Joanne Trollope

Joanne Harris

William Nicholson

Hilary Mantel

Just to name a few!

Claire, what kinds of books does Ali Smith write?

I've been pondering this, and I don't really know what to answer! It's literary fiction, but all of them are different. What I find interesting about her work is that she plays with language, form and style. She writes lots of short stories as well as novels, and I think one the whole, her short stories are my favourites, but her books Girl Meets Boy is my number one favourite book ever. It was part of a series of books where contemporary authors retold mythological stories and is her take on the myth of Iphis. I never know what to expect from her books and I've yet to be disappointed.

Yes, a lot of authors on JeanW's list are much missed, I particularly liked P D James.  My favourites in no order are:

Charlotte Bronte

Mary Stewart

Daphne du Maurier

Barbara Erskine

Elizabeth Chadwick

Tracy Chevalier

Elly Griffiths

Winston Graham

Ben Aaronovitch

George R R Martin

Charlaine Harris

Susanna Kearsley

Susanna Gregory

Kate Mosse

Peter May

• 3 weeks later...

I love Stephen King, he was one of the first authors I started reading that would really count as an adult book, the first book of his I read was The Tommy Knockers, which at the time scared the absolute crapola out of me. I recently however reread it and loved it. He still holds a very dear place when it comes to my favourite authors.

Shelfy

It's gotta be Peter S. Beagle for me. The last unicorn is still to date my favourite story in the world, and it has filled my childhood (and life) with magic. The story goes so much deeper than a kid's story, and as I grew older I saw all the hidden messages about life, love, and human nature. It is just so beautiful. It made me dream :) (and still does).

• 3 weeks later...

I can't name one author. There are too many I love. At my age (38), of course I've read many books by now. Amongst my favourites are Sue Townsend, Carlos Ruiz Zafon, Virginia Woolf, Marcel Proust, Susan Clarke, Elizabeth Kostova and many more. I'm naming the authors who have amazed me and written work I could reread without ever being bored.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a lot author's I love but I must say that I'm always keeping my eyes open for the books from L.J Smith.

To me everything she has made was good, really good!

To get on this list, I must have enjoyed three or more books or a series of books at 5-6 star level (6 being my tops).  So authors of one-off favourites are not included.

Fiction

JL Carr (whose A Month in the Country is my long time favourite)

Jane Austen (Sense and Sensibility at the top of her pile)

Charles Dickens (Bleak House being my favourite)

Virginia Woolf

Patrick O'Brian

Georges Simenon

Sarah Dunant

Margaret Elphinstone

Non-fiction:

Jonathan Raban

Lisa Jardine

Tim Clayton

Claire Tomalin

Jenny Uglow

• 3 months later...

Favourite author? Oh boy this is hard. I don't think have a definitive list of favourite authors since I read all the time and tastes change over time but there are those who, because of their works, left a deep impression over me. Some of these are Jane Austen, Frank Herbert, Christopher Hitchens, J.R.R.Tolkien, Leo Tolstoy. 

• 2 weeks later...

Jane Austen is amazing. She's a fantastic author, also love the Bronte sisters. Have recently found a love for Anne Rice.

Have only read one of Frank Herberts, he reminds me of Stephen King, I'm pretty sure he is where S.K got his ideas? Or was it the other way around?

Shelfy

Jane Austen is amazing. She's a fantastic author, also love the Bronte sisters. Have recently found a love for Anne Rice.

Have only read one of Frank Herberts, he reminds me of Stephen King, I'm pretty sure he is where S.K got his ideas? Or was it the other way around?

Shelfy

I read some books by Anne Rice in highschool, shortly after seeing Intervew With a Vampire but I did not like it very much. It was a pre-Twilight era however so comparing it now, maybe I would have claimed that it's good. But being good compared to Twilight isn't really saying much. I don't really have may authors to compare her to though. 

The Bronte Sister also wrote very well and Jane Eyre is one of my fav. book ever. I have not read all of their works, only the one I mentioned before and Wuthering Heights which I did not enjoy very much. I occasionally come back and re-read Jane Eyre, fully or just some passages, but I never do that with Wuthering Heights. Once was enough. 

Frank Herbert is great and he wrote some amazing SF books but I have no idea if he inspired Stephen King., They write very different genres and I feel that Herbert's writing is superior. 

• 2 weeks later...

I always say that Patrick Rothfuss is my favourite but here is the full list:

Brandon Sanderson

Sarah J Maas

Cassandra Clare

J.K. Rowling

Diana Gabaldon

Those are some good authors :). I've read to read anything by Patrick Rothfuss, Sarah J. Maas and Diana Gabaldon, but I like the others :). Brandon Sanderson is one of my favourites, I love his books.