Favourite Author

BookShelfy91

I have noticed that while some people prefer to stick to one authors books, or a particular series, there are others (like myself) who jump through different authors and are always on the look out for someone else to read. So my question is, Who is one author whose books you keep reading?

I tend to favour, Stephen King, James Patterson and Jodi Piccoult. While over the years I have found a lot of others who I enjoy reading as well.

Shelfy

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I have one favourite author anymore. I used to say Stephen King was one of my faves, but I haven't read everything he wrote because I find he can be hit and miss. I tend to read a mix of authors - and there are some that I like a lot - rather than reading everything by one. Having said that, I have yet to be disappointed by Diane Chamberlain or Maggie O'Farrell (actually, I have read all of O'Farrell's books). :dunno:

I have noticed that about Stephen King, there are two of his books that I just couldn't finish. He does seem to be a little hit and miss with his books. Some are great, right on the mark. Others just...aren't great. There are so many great authors out there though.

Shelfy

I have quite a few favourite authors, such as these (that doesn't mean they've never disappointed me. But any new book by them I'll want to read. Except for of course the deceased ones, there it's not possible :( ). Authors of whom I've only read a couple of books, I've not counted in this list, even though I might be very curious for their next book. I've probably forgot a few, too.

Robert Jordan

Brandon Sanderson

Jodi Picoult

Diane Chamberlain

Catherine Ryan Hyde

Peter F. Hamilton

Karen Miller

Trudi Canavan

Terry Pratchett

Maria V. Snyder

Geronimo Stilton

Thea Stilton

John Flanagan

Penny Vincenzi

Sophie Kinsella

Thea Beckman

A. C. Baantjer

Ann M. Martin

I do tend to read all of James Pattersons books as I like his style, that does not stop me from reading lots of other writters, I like books that are written about Christmas, usually a love story, or ones that are written for the summer holidays, again usually love stories.  But I am willing to try new authors, I have recently learnt about an author on this forum called Jodi Taylor and am reading her books.

I'm not sure I have any favourite authors as such, because there are some books which are among my favourite books but are the only books I've read by those authors.

However, this year a few names have emerged as go-tos for certain genres:

Helen Fitzgerald for thrillers

Pasi Iimari Jaaskelainen for psychological/surreal fiction

Louise O'Neill for real talk about teens and society

Catherine Ryan Hyde for drama/fiction

Holly Black for YA fantasy (hit and miss but always happy to give her a go)

Linwood Barclay also for thrillers

John Green for sheer philosophical awesomeness

Frances Hardinge for reliably awesome Children's/YA fantasy

Emma Carroll for Middle Grade Historical Fiction/Fantasy

My favourite author would have to be Ian Rankin.  I've read everything of his (just finishing the latest now).  I haven't liked them all, but nearly all (two so far I haven't).  

Elizabeth George would come a very very close second.  I've loved all of her Inspector Lynley series.

I tend to lean towards crime novels (James Patterson) and supernatural books (Stephen King) But I have recently expanded my taste to try out some of the classics as well, found I love "Little women".

Always looking for new authors, experimenting with different genres. I've read some of Lee Child's books, loved him! Never read any of Ian Rankin's though.

Shelfy

I am developing a curiosity about Anne Rice, I haven't read any of her books yet. Although I would love to change that, has anyone read any of her stuff? Is she good? I think it would be worth the experimentation for the classics she has written anyway, just so I can say "hey I have read (insert book title here)"

Shelfy

I am developing a curiosity about Anne Rice, I haven't read any of her books yet. Although I would love to change that, has anyone read any of her stuff? Is she good? I think it would be worth the experimentation for the classics she has written anyway, just so I can say "hey I have read (insert book title here)"

Shelfy

OMG I just finished Interview with a Vampire and it was one of the best books of the year for me!  I've never read it before and I've gone directly to Vampire Lestat.  I can't tell if they are an easy read or just that good!

BTW- It is NOTHING like the movie!

Edited by Anna Begins

OMG I just finished Interview with a Vampire and it was one of the best books of the year for me!  I've never read it before and I've gone directly to Vampire Lestat.  I can't tell if they are an easy read or just that good!

BTW- It is NOTHING like the movie!

'Interview with a vampire' is on my to read list, (which is just over 200 books long) it sounds fantastic, definitely looking forward to taking a look.

Shelfy

'Interview with a vampire' is on my to read list, (which is just over 200 books long) it sounds fantastic, definitely looking forward to taking a look.

I doubt you will regret it! Move it up the pile :)

Shelfy

I can 'third' Interview with a Vampire, such a great book. I also really liked the next few books in the series, but I was less keen on Memnoch the Devil and New Tales of the Vampires: Pandora and Vittorio (I think that's the title). The Vampire Armand was the last one in the series I read (it's book 6), I did like that one.

I can 'third' Interview with a Vampire, such a great book. I also really liked the next few books in the series, but I was less keen on Memnoch the Devil and New Tales of the Vampires: Pandora and Vittorio (I think that's the title). The Vampire Armand was the last one in the series I read (it's book 6), I did like that one.

Yes, I think I will be stopping at Armand... but Memnoch makes me weary me just thinking of it.

I can 'fourth' Interview with a Vampire as well. In fact all this talk about it is making me want to re-read it. :readingtwo:

:giggle2: Come to the dark side...

I read the first 3, maybe 4 of Rice's vampire series, many years ago. Finally didn't like the later ones.

Favs I can rattle off the top of my head......

Vladimir Nabokov

John Banville

Marguerite Duras

Paul Auster

Lawrence Block

Javier Marias

Michael Connelly

C.J. Sansom

Hilary Mantel

Stieg Larsson

Jennings Mankell

James Lee Burke

Stuart Neville

Julian Barnes

Taylor Caldwell

Philip Kerr

James Sallis

These are ones I will usually buy as soon as a new book comes out.

Edited by pontalba

There are so many authors mentioned here that I have never even heard of. Gives me a lot of new authors to try, which is good, because I am always looking for something new to read.

Shelfy

Edited by BookShelfy91

Over recent years, I've given away most of my books, but there are certain authors who are in my "permanent collection" and are awarded precious space on my limited book-shelving. They include:

• Terry Pratchett
  • Stuart MacBride
  • Christopher Brookmyre
  • Simon Scarrow
  • Richard Castle
  • Jane Austen
  • Brom
  • Philippa Gregory

I do have a few books here and there by other authors (I have The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins, The Stand by Stephen King, and Maia by Richard Addams, for example), but those other guys have complete series and collections on my shelves and will not be vacating their spots any time soon!