Hi all :)

I would really appreciate a recommendation of a book that is different, original and would shock me. Something connected to psychology, philosophy, sociology..? If you know something like that, I love books filled with analogies that are deep, meaningful and just touch your soul :D Maybe some abstract ideas, tough topics.

Also, English is not my first language so preferably something not archaic or with exceptionally difficult words :)

Joanna

Welcome to the forum, Laulu. I don't know if searching directly for a book that blew someone else's mind is the right way to approach what you look for. The impact a book has on a person depends on a huge amount of factors that, in short, make someone who they are; that impact only adds to it. I think you should just read what you want and the mindblowing will arrive by itself.

Try I TRAVEL LIGHT: THE MAN WHO WALKED OUT OF THE WORLD

By A. GREENMAN

Awesome, deep, but at the same time, uplifting true story. Loads of analogies and thought provoking stuff...incredibly inspiring. Written as a novel, reads like nothing else on earth. I read it as an e-book from Kindle, independently published, but I found you can get the book as a paperback too. Hope you enjoy!

I can help I can help! I love twist endings! I get so disappointed when I can figure out what will happen at the end of a novel I’m reading. I have an awesome recommendation for you called “The Question” by R. Breuer Stearns. The book focuses on a group of government scientists working on a group think project. This unity of minds has come together to determine if God exists and you can imagine the kind of controversy that follows such an experiment. The book truly is a philosophical journey that covers a wide range of topics. I felt the characters were well developed and best of all the SUSPENSE and plots twists and turns in this book were amazing. I really hope you will check out “The Question” (Happy Reading!)

Welcome to the forum, Laulu. I don't know if searching directly for a book that blew someone else's mind is the right way to approach what you look for. The impact a book has on a person depends on a huge amount of factors that, in short, make someone who they are; that impact only adds to it. I think you should just read what you want and the mindblowing will arrive by itself.

I disagree. What's the harm in asking for other people's recs. I've been recommended books that have blown people's minds and I've managed to get my mind blown by some of the books, too :) This is after all a book forum, and a big part of the fun is recommending books and getting recommendations from others. 

Laulu, welcome to the forum :) As for your actual request, it's a tough one :D I'm going to recommend Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, although I'm not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for. For difficult reads, here's a thread on the subject on here: 50 Incredibly Tough Books for Extreme ReadersMaybe you'll find something there. And if you want something that will shock you, as in disturb you? Here's a thread: The most disturbing work of fiction that you have ever read

You wouldn't happen to be Finnish by any chance? Just going by your username :) 

Edited by frankie

I thought of Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder. I haven't read it myself but it's a bit of a classic.

I loved this book. It's definitely a book that could blow your mind, especially if you don't know much about philosophy.

That has been on my TBR for years, never gotten around to it. Maybe next year!

I loved this book. It's definitely a book that could blow your mind, especially if you don't know much about philosophy.

One of my friends read the book when we were still teens and she loved it :smile2: I tried it once, but I was bored with all the philosophy :blush::giggle: It might not be my thing... Or at least wasn't, all those years ago. Still fully intending to give it a shot some day! 

One of my friends read the book when we were still teens and she loved it :smile2: I tried it once, but I was bored with all the philosophy :blush::giggle: It might not be my thing... Or at least wasn't, all those years ago. Still fully intending to give it a shot some day! 

I studied Philosophy in college :D

I read it when I was a teenager, several times. I even did a book report on it. I can totally see how it's not a book for everyone. How interesting you studied philosophy, Noll :).

It was a minor subject, English literature was my major :)

Are you looking for fiction or non-fiction? There's lots of great non-fiction on sociology/psychology and philosophy out there. 

For non-fiction I would recommend Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence by Robert M. Pirsig. Malcolm Gladwell has a lot of interesting pop psychology kind of books. They aren't too heavy, but are very engaging. 

For fiction, The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka.

Yup - this is me as well! :D

• 3 months later...

Hi all :)

I would really appreciate a recommendation of a book that is different, original and would shock me. Something connected to psychology, philosophy, sociology..? If you know something like that, I love books filled with analogies that are deep, meaningful and just touch your soul :D Maybe some abstract ideas, tough topics.

Also, English is not my first language so preferably something not archaic or with exceptionally difficult words :)

Joanna

Different from others for sure....Avenger by Dusko Duric but only available on kindle store

Different from others for sure....Avenger by Dusko Duric but only available on kindle store

Hi, you have mentioned this book in two threads and the only review it has on Goodreads is from you. Are you the author of, or connected in any way to, this book?

​The Philosopher's Apprentice ​by James Morrow might be a good one. It's definitely very different and thought provoking. It has strong psychological themes as well as philosophical. I really liked it :smile:  ​

• 2 months later...