35 replies to this topic

#21 Flip Martian

Flip Martian

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationNear Milton Keynes, UK

Posted 29 November 2016 - 04:46 PM

Getting away for xmas sounds a great idea. We've never managed it yet! Always had a parent or in law to think about. Hopefully its the last year my stepdaughter will be with us - she's been a temporary lodger for nearly 2 years now! She leaves for a new life in Scotland next April so hopefully next xmas we can just please ourselves finally and get away somewhere. Hopefully Lundy will be peaceful.

#22 Talisman

Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,336 posts
  • Reading now?:Before Night Falls: Reinaldo Arenas
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 29 November 2016 - 05:29 PM

I hope so. It is usually is. Coran has only been with me once before (in 2009), and after so many solo visits it will be a bit different. I think this will be 34th visit in total, all of which have been staying visits. I think there was one day trip that I made in about 2011 or thereabouts but that doesn't really count for me. I think December is though the only month of the year when I haven't been. This is usually the time of year when we do a lot of deep cleaning at work. while the rest of the staff are off, but of course when I booked the trip back in March I had no clue whatsoever that I would end up as a Manager myself. I can't imagine I will be lucky enough to get this amount of time off at Christmas again bearing this in mind, so I had better make sure I make the most of it. Snow would be the icing on the cake, as the island really is beautiful when that happens. If I am really lucky we might even get stuck there for an extra night - that has happened to me a few times over the years although it is unusual as conditions have to be pretty grim with thick dense fog. As long as the helicopter pilots can see they will fly in pretty much anything. :smile:   

Edited by Talisman, 29 November 2016 - 05:30 PM.

#23 Flip Martian

Flip Martian

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 08:41 PM

I've just been looking it up. Looks fabulous! I think we'll put that on the list for when I can get about a bit. :)

#24 Talisman

Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • 3,336 posts
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:03 PM

You should. It gets booked up very quickly though, as there are regulars who go for the same weeks each year and book as soon as they get back. Most people go for a day trip for the first time to make sure they like it, as a lot of people are not used to the silence and find that quite difficult but personally I love it. I have done a lot of travelling on my own as it has never really been Coran's thing, although she has started to do a bit more in the past few years with my encouragement. She is even talking of getting a passport and going to iceland with me at some point. I have made it clear though that if we do go together I will only share a campervan on one condition - no curry ! :giggle2:   

#25 Flip Martian

Flip Martian

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 09:36 PM

Haha! Very sensible :) Both of us enjoy getting away and also enjoy peace and quiet so no problem at all there. I can see how small it is, so I thought accommodation might get booked early. I have chronic fatigue which is a bit out of control so its not easy to plan ahead at the moment. Maybe I'll book next year for 2018 instead - should have it under control by then :) Looks a lovely place to get away from it all.

#26 Brian.

Brian.

This too shall pass

• Supporter
  • 1,966 posts
  • Reading now?:Tropic of Cancer - Henry Miller
  • LocationSE England

Posted 01 December 2016 - 09:59 AM

I put our mini Christmas tree up yesterday afternoon and I'm starting to feel Christmassy already :grinhat:

There is a small possibility I might be stuck in a hotel on my own in Barcelona over Christmas because of work. If that happens I will not be a happy boy.

#27 muggle not

muggle not

Not A Muggle

• Supporter
  • 3,141 posts
  • Reading now?:No Man's Land - David Baldacci
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 02 December 2016 - 03:07 AM

This is a very nice Christmas Commercial by "Apple".

#28 Virginia

Virginia

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,147 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 December 2016 - 11:37 PM

I saw that commercial around the same time someone started dicing onions  :blush2:  Sometimes I'm tough as old hide but then something like this will give me the "ugly cry" face.

Now that the tree is up I thought my mood would improve. After spending a few days in deep contemplation, I finally realized why I have ambivalent feelings towards the holidays. Our children are grown, the grands are gone and hubby has never really been one to go crazy about the holidays, except for when the kids were little and the grands were around. But it went deeper than that. I realize that I suffer from PTSD. Not the kind that turns violent but just not quit attached to my surroundings. I've had some major life changing experiences that I've never had the opportunity to work through. It may take a while to get my head back but at least I know why I've been feeling the way I've been feeling.

#29 Talisman

Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • 3,336 posts
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:02 AM

That's a really positive thing Virginia, as it means you are ready to make changes and start a new chapter. You have realised perhaps most importantly that it isn't about others, but all about you, as it always is.  

#30 Madeleine

Madeleine

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,334 posts
  • Reading now?:The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak
  • LocationSE England

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:09 PM

Slowly getting there, wrote out a few cards yesterday ready for posting, will try to drag the tree down later.

#31 Little Pixie

Little Pixie

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 2,738 posts
  • Reading now?:A risky way to kill - Richard Lockridge

Posted 04 December 2016 - 02:58 PM

:friends3:Virginia, I think being able to articulate what`s wrong is 90% of the battle. Best of luck  and healing thoughts coming your way. :)

#32 Anna Begins

Anna Begins

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 4,303 posts
  • Reading now?:Roots by Alex Haley
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 December 2016 - 03:33 PM

Talisman- I wish you a great time away... I love getting away for the holidays, but my family doesn't, so. It sounds like a nice time and I'm glad you'll have some company this time :) I love that you travel so often.

Virgina- good for you! You are always so positive!

We did our tree last night, a flocked tree, covered in snow. We also bought Christmas cards from the Kerry Blue Terrier foundation, in honor of my dog that just passed away; they arrived Friday and have holiday pictures of Kerries on them.

#33 Talisman

Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • 3,336 posts
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 04 December 2016 - 06:51 PM

Talisman- I wish you a great time away... I love getting away for the holidays, but my family doesn't, so. It sounds like a nice time and I'm glad you'll have some company this time :) I love that you travel so often.

So do I. It's something I hope to be able to indulge in even more next year with the large pay rise coming my way.  

#34 muggle not

muggle not

Not A Muggle

• Supporter
  • 3,141 posts
  • Reading now?:No Man's Land - David Baldacci
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 04 December 2016 - 11:51 PM

We did our tree today. Took us most of the afternoon but it does look nice. :)

#35 Madeleine

Madeleine

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,334 posts
  • LocationSE England

Posted 05 December 2016 - 10:31 AM

Christmas Tree disaster!  Took it out, set it up, switched it on (it's fibre-optic) and nothing happened.  Think it's the bulb, as when I looked I could see the coloured disc spinning round so I knew it wasn't the fuse; anyway took the base off to change the bulb, and found the bulb is screwed in place, and the coloured disc is about an inch above the bulb, so there's no way I can get a screwdriver in to unscrew the bulb fitting and change it.  So it looks like I'll have to get another tree.

On the plus side, I did write most of my cards, and wrapped up the work Secret Santa present.

Edited by Madeleine, 05 December 2016 - 08:30 PM.

#36 Madeleine

Madeleine

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,334 posts
  • LocationSE England

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:30 PM

Managed to finally decorate my tree, it's years since I've decorated one as it's been a plug in and switch on fibre optic tree.  Only broke one bauble, might get a few more and maybe a strip of tinsel or two.  It's addictive this decorating! :cheers:  :xmassmile:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users