35 replies to this topic

#1 Lilywhite

Lilywhite

Defying Gravity

• Moderators
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationPreston, Lancashire

Posted 28 November 2015 - 09:11 AM

When is it ok to get out the decorations?

I am one of those people that LOVE Christmas!  I simply cannot wait to have all the twinkly lights up and make everything pretty with sparkles and glitter :D  Don't even get me started on the films and the music.  It's such a magical time.  But not everyone shares my, ahem, enthusiasm for the season.  I try to hold off to at least December 1st, but I know several people who have already put up their tree and I'm a little bit jealous.

So when will you be putting up yours?  Are they already up?

#2 muggle not

muggle not

Addicted!

• Supporter
  • 3,106 posts
  • Reading now?:Birds, Beasts and Relatives - Gerald Durrell
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 28 November 2015 - 02:26 PM

I am in favor of starting right after Thanksgiving (sorry, I know it is an American Holiday :)) and keeping them up until New Years day. I started putting the outside lights up yesterday and am half finished. Last night I didn't put them on due to only half being done. Well, around 7:00 pm our doorbell rang and it was a 13 year old neighbor girl. She asked me if I would turn our Christmas lights on as almost everyone living on our street had theirs on.

A little off-topic......I have the lights set-up with a remote for turning them on-and-off so I don't have to go outside at night during the season in the cold and snow to unplug them. After putting the lights up I asked a 5 year old neighbor boy if he would walk over and help me turn them on as I was having trouble with them. He came over with his mother and I told him the lights wouldn't come on and asked him to yell "lights on". When he yelled "lights on" I pushed the button on the remote (un-be-know-nst to him) and the lights came on. He got the biggest smile on his face. I then asked him to yell "lights off" and I hit the off button on the remote........LOL, I couldn't get him to stop yelling lights on and lights off.

#3 woolf woolf

woolf woolf

Bibliophile

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 28 November 2015 - 02:34 PM

As a former child, I say leave them all year round and celebrate Christmas once per month.

#4 Kell

Kell

Star of the Show!

• Moderators
  • 10,151 posts
  • Reading now?:Not as much as I'd like!
  • LocationThe Frozen North

Posted 28 November 2015 - 03:17 PM

We usually put up our decorations on the weekend nearest to 14th December (which is my Dad's birthday), simply because that's what my Mam always did, but they may go up a week earlier this year. I think they may go up next Saturday, ready for my Grom coming round for Sunday lunch the next day (she's a HUGE Christmas fan and sings Christmas songs all year round!). They always come down on 5th January though.

I'm BIG on the festivities (nothing to do with the religious side of things - I'm Pagan and get to celebrate Yule a few days before Xmas, but I love the idea of Santa Claus and have the kids really invested in that!), and I try to get all my Xmas shopping done by 1st December, so I can just enjoy the whole month without feeling rushed and stressed. I just have three hand-made gifts to finish off at this point and then all my gifts are ready - I have already written all my cards and sent off those going abroad. I shop for Xmas all year round to spread the cost and ensure everything is ready well ahead of time. I spent a good couple of weeks writing them all out in fancy writing and decorating the envelopes. Some years I make some of my cards too, but I ran out of time this year.

I have loads of handmade decorations to hang on the tree and mantlepiece (mostly cross stitched), and we always make loads of white paper snowflakes to put up in our windows, and paper chains to drape around from the corners of the rooms to the centre of the ceilings (Xan loves helping to make them, and by next year, Josh will be old enough to get involved a little too!).

I also make little reindeer dust bags for all Xan's school chums, which he hands out on the last day of school - it's his little gift to them from him before they break up for the holidays.

This year, I've been beavering away on homemade gifts for family members and super-close friends:

• Blackberry jam made with wild blackberries we picked this autumn
  • Blackberry liqueur for the grown ups (those wild blackberries again!)
  • Crocheted scarves (I've also made about a dozen scarves for a homeless charity)
  • A new crocheted blanket for Josh because he doesn't have one that fits his full-size bed (It's about half way done now)
  • Pillowcases with crochet lace edging (two sets left to do and I'm finished!)
  • Handkerchiefs with crochet lace edging

I will also be making mince pies and Xmas cookies closer to Xmas. :)

#5 Nollaig

Nollaig

Nerdfighter

• Moderators
  • 11,994 posts
  • Reading now?:Yes.
  • LocationCork, Ireland

Posted 28 November 2015 - 05:03 PM

I only ordered my tree today and apparently it wont be here until Tuesday week, even though it's coming from within Ireland, so it's gonna be up for all of 10 days before I go home to Kerry! Better than nothing, I suppose! Normally I would be putting it by by now, though.

#6 Kylie

Kylie

Multifaceted Abnormal

• Moderators
  • 13,282 posts
  • Reading now?:Deciding...
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 29 November 2015 - 12:54 PM

Lilywhite, my family traditionally put ours up on the 1st of December (well, *I* put them up—no one ever wanted to help me!) I just drove home from the shops and saw a house all decked out with lights, so some have started already.

Aw, you're such a good neighbour, Muggles.  :friends3:

Woolf woolf, I bet the shops would love us to celebrate Christmas once per month. Imagine how much money they'd make from us! ;)

Goodness, you're clever, Kell. :)

Aw, shame about the tree, Noll. Perhaps you can leave it up longer after you get home again? But I guess it's not quite the same...

I haven't put up my tree for at least a few years, I think. At first it was because I was depressed after breaking up with my ex (who I bought the tree with) and then it seemed to be too much trouble what with my cat hanging around. This year I'm determined to finally put up a Christmas tree made of books. :)

#7 Athena

Athena

Readaholic, BookWorm & BookEater

• Admin
  • 15,717 posts
  • LocationHelmond, the Netherlands

Posted 30 November 2015 - 10:56 AM

Lilywhite, I hope you have a great Christmas this year :).

Muggle Not, that was such a nice story about that boy :).

Woolf Woolf, personally I think it would be less special if the decorations were up all year round.

Kell, good luck with all your crafty things :).

Noll, it's a shame the tree takes a bit of time to get there :(.

Kylie, I would love to see your Christmas tree made of books. I'm tempted to do that too now that you mentioned it but I'm worried about my books getting dirty being on the floor (also, we don't have much space).

Traditionally my family puts up their tree the weekend after Sinterklaas (which is 5 December). However, since we don't celebrate Sinterklaas anymore and I was so happy last year to have my very own first tree, Michael and I put the decorations up half November. We did the same thing this year. I know it's early, but I have to say I'm quite enjoying seeing the decorations and the beautiful tree in the room. I would say if we ever celebrate Sinterklaas (which I doubt), we should wait until after, it just feels wrong otherwise. My parents put up their tree usually the second week of December (so after 5 December).

#8 Lilywhite

Lilywhite

Defying Gravity

• Moderators
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:34 PM

I've noticed that my neighbour 4 doors down have their tree up so now I don't feel quite so bad for wanting to put ours up early.  As soon as I can get Os into the attic to get everything down, I will be decking the halls!  (I would do it myself but I just know there will be huge spiders up there and I just can't do it on my own!)

The real struggle will be convincing myself not to buy new decorations.  I have enough for 3 trees as it is but I just can't resist all the glittery goodness.

#9 Kell

Kell

Star of the Show!

• Moderators
  • 10,151 posts
  • Reading now?:Not as much as I'd like!
  • LocationThe Frozen North

Posted 30 November 2015 - 11:11 PM

Almost finished my crafty stuff now - just got one more pillowcase set to do, and  Josh's blanket to finish (which is about 2/3rds done), and that's all!

Fingers crossed for our decs going up next weekend for Grom coming on Sunday for lunch. I actually wanted them to go up THIS weekend, as my Dad is coming to visit for a few days tomorrow, but we just didn't have time, and I'm so busy now with cleaning and cooking and finishing Xmas gifts that I won't have tie before next weekend at all. :(

#10 Lilywhite

Lilywhite

Defying Gravity

• Moderators
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 10:07 AM

We managed to do our tree this weekend.  We have gone for a real tree this year and I'm so pleased, it looks so pretty.  I've put a few home made decorations on the fireplace and managed to get some replacement lights for the small tree that goes in the window.  Don't think I'm going to put any more up, although there are still plenty in the box :)

I'm glad it's done now, as I'm sure I couldn't wait much longer!

#11 Nollaig

Nollaig

Nerdfighter

• Moderators
  • 11,994 posts
  • LocationCork, Ireland

Posted 08 December 2015 - 10:10 AM

My tree arrived from Littlewoods yesterday, it's 5 foot rather than my old 6-7 foot one so it's much more manageable - the box fits under the bed and the tree squeezes into a corner of my room so I'm delighted. Struggled with one set of lights last night, and left it there, as my second set has been decorating my partition at work while waiting on the tree. I'll bring them home tonight and finish the lights and hang the ornaments! :lol:

#12 Onion Budgie

Onion Budgie

Avid Reader

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 13 December 2015 - 04:28 PM

Mine go up on December 1st.  I never bother with a full-size tree.  I have a tiny silver tree made of wire and with silvery disc drops that I stand on my bookshelf, and it does very nicely.  I fluff tinsel around elsewhere, and strings of lights, and ornaments that twinkle, and other seasonal things that you stuff tealights in and they glow prettily for a couple of hours.   ;)

I always enjoy seeing how other people decorate.  Some of my favourite YouTube channels do "Vlogmas" episodes, where they film their decorating process, and those are great fun!

#13 shirley

shirley

Super Bookworm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • Reading now?:It changes so often i cannot keep up
  • LocationGloucestershire

Posted 15 December 2015 - 04:17 PM

Put some decorations up this last weekend.  Hubby normally has the boxes out sorting through as soon as the Halloween decs are taken down but this year for some reason neither of us are feeling Christmassy.

I have got hurricane lamps with lots of different battery operated lights in them, what a time it takes to put them on and then turn them off again. They do look nice though, tried to take some pictures but they did not come out very well.

#14 Madeleine

Madeleine

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Reading now?:The Phantom Tree by Nicola Cornick & The Snow Rose by Lulu Taylor
  • LocationSE England

Posted 20 November 2016 - 12:34 PM

Got my first Xmas card yesterday! :grinhat:

#15 Little Pixie

Little Pixie

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 2,715 posts
  • Reading now?:A risky way to kill - Richard Lockridge

Posted 26 November 2016 - 06:55 PM

It doesn`t really feel Christmassy to me until the double issue Radio Times arrives in the post.  :giggle2:

#16 Madeleine

Madeleine

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,188 posts
  • Reading now?:The Phantom Tree by Nicola Cornick & The Snow Rose by Lulu Taylor
  • LocationSE England

Posted 26 November 2016 - 09:16 PM

I bought some cards today, well they were half price....

#17 Athena

Athena

Readaholic, BookWorm & BookEater

• Admin
  • 15,717 posts
  • LocationHelmond, the Netherlands

Posted 27 November 2016 - 08:47 AM

I've bought my Christmas cards and we've put up our tree and Christmas decorations. The living room looks better now, more festive and the lights of the Christmas tree make the whole seem less dark in the evenings.

#18 Nollaig

Nollaig

Nerdfighter

• Moderators
  • 11,994 posts
  • LocationCork, Ireland

Posted 27 November 2016 - 10:02 AM

I've been buying random decorations for my room - a light-up red and gold parcel, a light up Christmas train ornament, A card-hanger, a poinsettia, advent calendar and I also bought my Christmas cards yesterday. I haven't bought any presents yet, or done any real decorating. Traditionally i do it during the Toy Show, which is usually the last Friday of November, but as that was quite early this year (25th) they're airing it a week later on Dec 2nd instead.

I haven't decided yet whether to put my tree up in my bedroom or downstairs. If I put it in my room, I will enjoy it every evening, and plug the lights in/out. If I put it downstairs, I'm sharing it with my housemates, but it will be in a room literally none of us use (living room, only room with space), and will only be seen as we walk through the living room to get to the kitchen. The living room is dark as it has no windows, so the result will be either people will plug the tree in and leave it on all the time (dangerous, cheap tree, cheap lights) or, it more likely will never get plugged in and will sit there dark, in the dark, seen for only a few seconds a day by any of us. I feel bad keeping it for myself though, even though it is my tree and decorations.

#19 Madeleine

Madeleine

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationSE England

Posted 27 November 2016 - 12:39 PM

My little fibre optic tree brightens up a dull corner as well. We always say we must get a lamp for that part of the room, but never do!

#20 Talisman

Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • 3,299 posts
  • Reading now?:Before Night Falls: Reinaldo Arenas
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 27 November 2016 - 05:38 PM

As we are going to Lundy (a small island in the Bristol Channel) for Christmas this year, we might not bother decorating the house. We will probably take the tinsel with us and decorate our holiday cottage instead. We don't really bother with gifts for the rest of the family, other than nephews and nieces and something for my sister, who has been a bit poorly this year with lots of health issues. The holiday will be our present to ourselves.

One of the biggest advantages of course of going away for Christmas is no Christmas food shop, although being gluten free we will have to take some basics with us. We have ordered our Christmas lunch in the islands one and only pub. We get a 5 course lunch for £49.95 which I think is excellent value for money. This consists of a glass of mulled wine to start off with, followed by leek and potato soup with gluten free bread, a nice nut roast with apricots and mozzarella crust for the main course with all the veg, and chocolate mousse for afters. This is followed (if we have room) by cheese and biscuits and finally mince pies and coffee. I expect there will be copious amounts of wine to wash it all down with as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users