21 replies to this topic

#1 Athena

Athena

Readaholic, BookWorm & BookEater

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts
  • LocationHelmond, the Netherlands

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:55 AM

It's Thanksgiving this upcoming Thursday if I'm not mistaken. I don't celebrate Thanksgiving, since I live in the Netherlands, but I'm curious what your plans are for those who celebrate it (ie. people in the US). What are you having for dinner, and are you doing anything else special? Or, maybe afterwards post what you did or some pictures.

It's strange but in the Netherlands, at least in my family, the 'being thankful for things' part of Thanksgiving, we do that with Christmas. That's the time when we think about how grateful we are for people and other aspects of life. Coincidentally, we don't do presents for Christmas.

Anyway.. please post all your Thanksgiving things!

#2 Peacefield

Peacefield

Welcome to Robot Club

• Supporter
  • 6,293 posts
  • Reading now?:A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:21 PM

Thanks for creating this thread, Athena!  And Happy Thanksgiving in a couple days to all my fellow Americans on BCF :D  :alc:

We normally celebrate with an afternoon meal of turkey, dressing/stuffing, mashed potatoes with gravy, salad and of course, dessert!  Roughly similar to the things Pilgrims ate when they landed on Plymouth Rock.  When I was growing up we would all sit around the table and talk about things for which we were thankful, and eat leftovers for days.  The day after we would officially kick off the holiday season by cutting a Christmas tree and decorating.  I don't think 'Black Friday' used to be that big of a deal when I was young, but no one in my family has really been a madperson about shopping :lol:

In general, we view it as a time to be with friends and family.  I'll be calling and Face Time-ing with most of my family since they live several states away, but my mom and I will be together.  I'll try to post a couple pictures, especially of my homemade dressing which I could eat all day long! Ha!

Do you exchange gifts during Sinterklaas, Athena?  I just wondered since you don't do it at Christmas :).

#3 Athena

Athena

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:36 AM

Happy Thanksgiving, Peacefield :alc:!

Your Thanksgiving sounds great, I hope you will have a great time. I'd love to see some pictures. What do you put in your homemade dressing? I like making homemade dressing too, though I haven't done so in a while.

Yes, traditionally in the Netherlands we exchange gifts at Sinterklaas :). We did that all the way up to my brother's 18th birthday (he's the youngest), then we decided to stop. Many families though still celebrate it even if the 'children' aren't young anymore, but then they generally only give a couple of gifts, and usually to one person only (they all draw straws who gets to give a gift to whom).

#4 Anna Begins

Anna Begins

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,303 posts
  • Reading now?:Roots by Alex Haley
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 November 2015 - 05:45 PM

And Happy Thanksgiving in a couple days to all my fellow Americans on BCF :D  :alc:

Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

This year, we are ordering our feast from a high end all organic grocery store- we've done it once before and were impressed.  We are having lemon herb turkey (which we had at a gala they held a few years ago and it was delicious!), mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, cranberries, rolls and 2 pies.  We will be going today to get some vegetables, which will probably be brussel sprouts and also some yams with peaches, brown sugar and pecans.  It's just the three of us, with maybe a fourth.  So it will be intimate, but cozy.  After we eat, we will make a fire in the fireplace and watch Gone With the Wind.  We will be having leftovers later in the day/ evening, since we will be eating early.

#5 Athena

Athena

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 09:34 AM

Anna, it sounds great, I hope you have a great day.

I wish all Americans a Happy Thanksgiving today :D!!

#6 Virginia

Virginia

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,147 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 November 2015 - 03:15 PM

Thanks Gaia!

Thanksgiving used to be a full on feast but in recent years I've cut back. Mainly because of the move last August. New/old kitchen, smaller workspace, et al. And honestly, I'm sick to death of turkey. I make a DELICIOUS turkey and we rarely have leftovers, but two turkeys in two months...eh.

This year I splurged on a couple really nice roasts. I've decided to upscale it with fancy herbs and seasoning, red potatoes, shallots, carrots, the works. I also did collard greens and rolls. No mashed potatoes w/gravy or macaroni and cheese. Its just too time consuming and the adult kids are scattered about. My  daughter and son in law went to Georgia and may or may not be back this evening, our youngest is with his grandmother til tomorrow, our oldest daughter and son in law are moving to Texas (new duty station) and our oldest is incapacitated at the moment. Hubby has to go in to work this evening so I'm just going to keep it simple. I DO plan to go all out for Christmas!! As a matter of fact, I need to see if I have any decorations packed away...

#7 Peacefield

Peacefield

Welcome to Robot Club

• Supporter
  • 6,293 posts
  • Reading now?:A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 26 November 2015 - 09:25 PM

Happy Turkey Day!  Simple sounds like the way to go with everyone scattered and busy, Virginia.  Feasts used to be a lot bigger when I was younger too, what with 7 of us all living under the same roof and staying at home for holidays.

Everything was delicious, even though I couldn't finish it all since I was so stuffed full.  It was worth it!  Athena, my dressing is very simple, really.  I cut up a loaf of sourdough from the bakery yesterday and let it sit out to get nice and dry.  Then today I just sauteed some celery and onions with mucho butter  :blush2: and tossed the bread in along with poultry seasoning, salt & pepper and a bit of chicken stock.  .Heavenly!  We're saving dessert for later - we didn't want a lot of sweets sitting around so we each got just a piece from the bakery.  My mom a slice of apple cheesecake and me a bourbon berry tart.  Yum!

Here's a bit of a visual from earlier today ;)

Attached File  TDay2015.jpg   134.19KB   0 downloads

#8 Athena

Athena

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 11:46 AM

Your dinner sounds lovely, Virginia :).

That looks delicious, Peacefield :).

I hope all those who celebrated Thanksgiving, had a great day.

#9 nursenblack

nursenblack

Avid Reader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationKY-USA

Posted 29 November 2015 - 03:59 PM

This is a bit late, but I wanted to share a bit of my family's Thanksgiving tradition and what out feast consists of.  When I was young, and up until a few years ago, we had Thanksgiving Dinner at my grandmother's house.  There were around thirty people in her small house at once.  Our dinner was usually turkey, dressing, mash potatoes, gravy, ham, broccoli casserole, potato casserole, rolls, cranberry salad, green beans, deviled eggs, several different desserts.  It was a sort of pot luck, but some of us provided the bulk of the meal.  We would usually draw names for Christmas on that day too.

Nowadays, it's harder for my grandmother to cook a big meal (she's 90), so her children usually just do their own meals.  This year she came to my mom's house, and we had a good crowd of 13 people.  We made turkey, ham, dressing, mash potatoes, gravy, sweet potatoes, broccoli casserole, green beans, corn, rolls, cranberry jelly/sauce, pecan pie, chocolate pie, and hot cider.  It was fabulous. 

#10 Athena

Athena

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 10:57 AM

That all sounds yummy, Nursenblack :)!

#11 Athena

Athena

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 08:32 AM

Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate it :)! (Not me, but I know people celebrate it in some other countries).

To those who celebrate it, what are your plans?

#12 Lau_Lou

Lau_Lou

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Reading now?:The Picture Of Dorian Gray ~ Oscar Wilde

Posted 24 November 2016 - 06:44 PM

Happy Thanksgiving for the weekend, everybody :)
I too hope those who do celebrate it have a good one!

#13 Madeleine

Madeleine

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,334 posts
  • Reading now?:The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak
  • LocationSE England

Posted 24 November 2016 - 08:04 PM

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone who celebrates it.

#14 Autumn

Autumn

Avid Reader

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 08:18 PM

Happy Thanksgiving to all those in the States.

I have to admit to being a little ignorant with regard to the history of Thanksgiving, but it sounds pretty amazing!  I really like the idea of actually taking the time to celebrate what you are thankful for... and anything that involves food sounds great to me!

I come from a family that doesn't really celebrate anything to that great extent anymore (even birthdays - I get a card, a cake and a 'happy birthday' but that's about it) which is a shame but there you go.  As the years have gone by, the family has gotten smaller and with those of us who are still around scattered about the country, with work commitments etc it's not all that easy to get us together anymore.  I guess that's life though and I'm sure we aren't the only ones.

#15 Anna Begins

Anna Begins

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 4,303 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 November 2016 - 09:03 PM

Thanksgiving is a big deal in our family still. Usually, we have traditional turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, cranberries, etc. This year, after the death of my dog, we took a trip up the coast and got back too late to prepare for a traditional dinner. So this year, we are having steak, mushrooms, asparagus, roasted potatoes and chocolate cake with raspberry filling for dessert.

It's a dim day with no puppy wuppy around to eat bits of turkey.

#16 poppy

poppy

Far Out

• Advanced Member
  • 4,516 posts
  • Reading now?:The Summer Before the War by Helen Simonson
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 25 November 2016 - 07:05 AM

Happy Thanksgiving all my 'Merican buddies! :character0104:  Sorry it's a bit late. Hope you all had a great day, you're probably all recovering with a pillow on your tummies now! :D

So sorry to hear about the loss of you puppy, Anna :empathy:

#17 Athena

Athena

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 09:48 AM

I have to admit to being a little ignorant with regard to the history of Thanksgiving, but it sounds pretty amazing!  I really like the idea of actually taking the time to celebrate what you are thankful for... and anything that involves food sounds great to me!

In my family (we have no Thanksgiving in the Netherlands) it is a tradition to celebrate what we are thankful for during Sinterklaas (5 December) and Christmas (25 & 26 December). But it also makes sense to have a seperate day for it. I thought the history had something to do with pilgrims?

:friends0:

#18 Lau_Lou

Lau_Lou

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Reading now?:The Picture Of Dorian Gray ~ Oscar Wilde

Posted 25 November 2016 - 06:14 PM

Thanksgiving is a big deal in our family still. Usually, we have traditional turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, cranberries, etc. This year, after the death of my dog, we took a trip up the coast and got back too late to prepare for a traditional dinner. So this year, we are having steak, mushrooms, asparagus, roasted potatoes and chocolate cake with raspberry filling for dessert.

That sounds amazing!
Bless you, Anna. Think of how happy and loved he was and the joy he brought you being apart of your family.

Hope everybody had a great day. Celebrations or no celebrations.

#19 Anna Begins

Anna Begins

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 4,303 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 November 2016 - 06:30 AM

So sorry to hear about the loss of you puppy, Anna :empathy:

That sounds amazing!
Bless you, Anna. Think of how happy and loved he was and the joy he brought you being apart of your family.
Hope everybody had a great day. Celebrations or no celebrations.

Thank you both, that's very kind :)

#20 Little Pixie

Little Pixie

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 2,738 posts
  • Reading now?:A risky way to kill - Richard Lockridge

Posted 26 November 2016 - 06:50 PM

Oh, Anna ! I`m so sorry about your doggie.  :empathy:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: thanksgiving

0 user(s) are reading this topic