The Martian

paulh2oman

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This book was great! 4,5 stars. It grabbed me quickly and I pretty much read the whole thing within a day.

There were some illogicalities but the book delivered what it promised it would. I'm in a habit of reviewing books in ways they want to be reviewed, if you know what I mean. For me, this book was in the middle of hollywood and science fiction. Overall the psychological aspects were quite questionable but the book didn't thrive to be anything else than a scientifically truthful-ish sci-fi book with a likable main character. Everybody knows sci-fi books tend to be quite notorious of their flat characters.

Weir really did quite a lot of research, or that is what I read from wikipedia anyway. Everything felt realistic and for what it's worth, the immersion was better because of this. I also was glad to notice that I cared about on-earth chapters as much as the on-mars-chapters. Often even a good book can include characters and surroundings that you could not care less, but Martian was awesome in its readability. I think not a single character was descriped at all and I think it really sped up the imagination process.

The ending was a bit anticlimatic and I for myself would have wanted to know what happened after it but I guess it would have prolonged the book and whatnot. I would just have wanted to see some of the psychological impacts the ending had on the main character.

My first post here by the way.

Interestingly, the movie did extend the story some. It took me by surprise. At first I didn't like it, but after digesting a bit, I thought it really added something to the story.

Although, I have to say I liked the book much more. Next to it, I found the movie a tad flat.

Edited by pontalba

• 1 month later...

I saw the film first,and enjoyed it. Not what I was expecting

to be honest. Then I got hold of the (e)book. Loved that

too,even though a few minor things had been changed

for the film,as per ususal from Hollywood! Will re-read

this sometime fairly soon, and will probably rewatch the

film afterwards!

Edited by timebug

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I enjoyed both immensely, but this was one case where I liked the movie better than the book. I have a soft spot for Matt Damon, though.

I completely agree with you there. I watched the movie first and the next day I went out, bought the book, and didn't stop reading until I had finished it. There is something so intoxicating about the story and the characters that it's impossible to stop. Recently I've thought about rereading it as well but then I look at all the books I still have to read and I know that won't happen.

• 2 months later...

I was impressed by the solid research put into this book, but like many hard sci-fi novels, character development sometimes suffers for the sake of science. The ending was particularly emotionally unsatisfying as it was extremely abrupt and explored none of the characters' reactions to the final rescue.