Sausage Rolls unknown in America....

Little Pixie

Yes, I'm afraid I know not of this 'sausage roll' to which you speak.  But it's not like you Brits know of every American delicacy, right? :P:lol:

We don't normally put a savory meat inside a flaky pastry, at least in my neck-o-the woods.  Pastry like that is reserved for sweet jams and custards.  Now regular dough, yes, because we have meat pies and things like calzones.

I love to watch videos of people from the UK try food from the US and vice versa :lol:

Yes, I'm afraid I know not of this 'sausage roll' to which you speak.  But it's not like you Brits know of every American delicacy, right? :P:lol:

:lol: This is true ; I`m still not 100% sure of what grits are.  ;)

I assumed that pigs-in-blankets were what Americans called sausage rolls.  :huh:

Erm, do you know what cauliflower cheese is ? I heartily recommend it. :)

We don't normally put a savory meat inside a flaky pastry, at least in my neck-o-the woods.  Pastry like that is reserved for sweet jams and custards.  Now regular dough, yes, because we have meat pies and things like calzones.

I love to watch videos of people from the UK try food from the US and vice versa :lol:

I was watching a vid of Americans trying British snacks only last night. The sight of one guy deciding to try a spoonful of marmite straight from the jar is one that will live with me for a looooong time!

I was watching a vid of Americans trying British snacks only last night. The sight of one guy deciding to try a spoonful of marmite straight from the jar is one that will live with me for a looooong time!

That's the best way to eat marmite, dip your (clean) finger in as far as you can and lick it off! Better still with a stick of strong cheddar! :)

They are quite a big thing here in Aus, the trick is finding somewhere that sells a decent one with perfect pastry.  There is one place on the coast of NSW that sells insanely good ones. The pastry is perfect and the mince inside tastes amazing!

Shelfy

Gak!   Marmite.... food of the Devil! 

Heathen :P

Greggs do sausage rolls, I know as colleagues have them for lunch sometimes!

Greggs sausage rolls are all kinds of awesome :wub:  Unfortunately I can't eat them anymore :(

:lol: This is true ; I`m still not 100% sure of what grits are.  ;)

I assumed that pigs-in-blankets were what Americans called sausage rolls.  :huh:

Erm, do you know what cauliflower cheese is ? I heartily recommend it. :)

Nah, pigs in blankets are little sausages wrapped in bacon. Delish! :)

:lol:  What exactly is Marmite?  I'm afraid to watch that video in case it'll put me off, ha!

I normally think of pigs-in-a-blanket as mini hot dogs wrapped in flaky dough, but according to Google they can be wrapped in bacon too.  Who knew?!  I forgot about those though - I haven't had them in years!  I remember my mom making them when I was a kid and serving them with Macaroni and Cheese.  

So the meat inside a sausage roll is minced?  Or is an actual sausage in casing?  

It's popular at parties to have slow cookers full of bacon wrapped 'wienies'.'  My friend has a really good recipe with brown sugar and honey.

Now I'm hungry...

:lol:  What exactly is Marmite?  I'm afraid to watch that video in case it'll put me off, ha!

Marmite`s a yeast extract ; it`s very nice thinly spread on hot buttered toast...  :smile:

So the meat inside a sausage roll is minced?  Or is an actual sausage in casing?  

It`s the meat inside the casing - recipe here - I don`t like the mince ones at all, they seem wrong somehow !   :smile:Pic of sausagemeat.   Or you could scrape the meat out of sausages?