Books Set in Japan?

This is actually a question from my sister who asked me if I knew of any books set in Japan and I couldn't think of any!

Then I remembered I knew the perfect place to find recommendations for any kind of book :D

She particularly likes romance, historical fiction, fantasy and YA but all recommendations would be appreciated :smile:

(She has already read Memoirs of a Geisha)

Hmmm, the ones I can think of, aren't in those genres you mentioned I'm afraid. I've read quite a few books set in Japan, usually written by Japanese authors though not always. Battle Royale by Koushun Takami comes to mind. I guess that might be YA. I haven't read it yet, my boyfriend has. The other books I can think of, don't fit your genres (generally they are contemporary fiction or fiction with a paranormal element). Another one that's YA is Hiroshi Ishizaki - Chain Mail: Addicted To You. I liked that one (I gave it 8 / 10). Geek Girl 2: Model Misfit by Holly Smale partly takes place in Japan, I liked that book.

I like the Sujata Massey books - her protagonist is Rei Shimura, a 20-something Japanese-American woman who gets caught up in mysteries which explore Japanese culture.  :smile:

I`ve also read the first 3 Tales of the Otori, but would only really recommend the first book - Across the Nightingale Floor

Edited by Little Pixie

• 1 year later...

This is actually a question from my sister who asked me if I knew of any books set in Japan and I couldn't think of any!

Then I remembered I knew the perfect place to find recommendations for any kind of book :D

She particularly likes romance, historical fiction, fantasy and YA but all recommendations would be appreciated :smile:

(She has already read Memoirs of a Geisha)

Tokaido by Lucia St. Claire Robson ,

I like the Sujata Massey books - her protagonist is Rei Shimura, a 20-something Japanese-American woman who gets caught up in mysteries which explore Japanese culture.  :smile:

I like the sound of those - I'm going to go and have a look at them. :)

For some reason, Murakami doesn't appeal to me, even though I've never actually read any of his books, but I've picked them up in shops and read the first page but they never compel me to buy them.

Ooh, how lovely!  I've had a look and the first books in the series aren't on Kindle, so I'm going to see if the library have them, as I prefer to read a series in order. :)

I got most of them as used books a few years ago, I think it was even before Kindle existed.  :giggle2: