Doctor Who -series nine

ian

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Twitter seems to be part euphoric, part apoplectic* over the news that Tilda Swinton is the bookies favourite to be the next Doctor. 

The first thought that went through my mind on hearing the news was "Well, that will be the second Doctor I've seen naked..."

*So no change there, really...

I'm fairly indifferent to the whole process at this point.

Chibnall hasn't even started work yet, and he'll be the one casting the new Doctor, so I don't think we'll hear much for a while, past rampant, uninformed speculation from the tabloids.

Personally, I hope they cast another unknown.

I'll be sad to see Capaldi go, he was my favourite Doctor. I thought it was refreshing to see a darker side of the character, and felt at times that he became a bit too juvenile with Matt Smith (although I did like Matt as well). I think Capaldi got a good balance between the sarcasm and humour, and the deeper fears and emotions that we could all relate to. Also, Heaven Sent is one of my favourite Dr Who episodes - everything about it was fantastic.

Not sure if I'll continue to watch Dr Who after Capaldi leaves, but it'll be interesting to see who takes over - it's like a national event when everyone finds out.

Edited by Angury

I think you're the first person I've heard of who has Peter Capaldi as their favourite - nothing wrong with that, you understand, I'm just saying. :)  Personally, I haven't laughed or even smiled with humour once in the episodes of his I've seen, and that's why I stopped watching, but I'm a johnny-come-lately as I only really started watching with Chris Ecclestone.  I didn't find much humour in Matt Smith's Doctor either - the odd bit here and there, but never enough.

There's a couple of people at work who love Doctor Who back from when they were little and the original series, and like me, they've also given up on the latest series, not necessarily because of him as the Doctor, but they just don't enjoy it any more.  I love Peter Capaldi as an actor (Malcolm Tucker is an absolute legendary character in our house), so nothing against him as such.

I think you're the first person I've heard of who has Peter Capaldi as their favourite - nothing wrong with that, you understand, I'm just saying. :)  Personally, I haven't laughed or even smiled with humour once in the episodes of his I've seen, and that's why I stopped watching, but I'm a johnny-come-lately as I only really started watching with Chris Ecclestone.  I didn't find much humour in Matt Smith's Doctor either - the odd bit here and there, but never enough.

There's a couple of people at work who love Doctor Who back from when they were little and the original series, and like me, they've also given up on the latest series, not necessarily because of him as the Doctor, but they just don't enjoy it any more.  I love Peter Capaldi as an actor (Malcolm Tucker is an absolute legendary character in our house), so nothing against him as such.

Yeah, I don't know a lot of people who still watch Dr Who, but maybe that's just me getting old. :P I think there were some awful episodes in Series 8 & 9, but Capaldi's acting was always fantastic, and the episodes that were good were very good.

I think if I ever met Peter Capaldi I would be terrified because to me he is Malcolm Tucker. His level of insults gave me a lot of motivation. :P

But yes, I am a Capaldi fan - in fact, maybe I'm more of a Capaldi fan than I am a Dr Who fan - and I can't wait to see what he does next.

Edited by Angury

I watched a few with PC but gave up, I actually thought he was fine but the stories were incomprehensible, and all that rock star stuff was just ugh!  I saw him in the street a while go and he was very unthreatening, so don't worry Bookworm!  I never watched The thick of it though.

I saw him in the street a while go and he was very unthreatening, so don't worry Bookworm!

Do you mean to say you met him? If so, that's pretty cool! I've only ever met one actor in my life, a Dutch one when I was a young teenager, and I froze up completely, I didn't dare talk to him. He was one of my favourite Dutch actors too. I'm still happy I got to see him in real life though.

They didn't walk the same though.  :D

That's just to throw you off the scent.

I've still not properly engaged with Capaldi, and it's bugging the hell out of me why not (I really can't put a finger on it).  I really liked Matt Smith, to the point of saying I think he is one of the best Doctors ever, but Capaldi, I dunno...

I think for the most part the stories over the last couple of years have been pretty good, but I think their fault is that most of them aren't very accessible and need a repeat viewing to get to grips with (which most people won't do). 

There have been a couple of real clunkers, however, including the one with the Sandmen (worst Doctor Who villain - Ever! /simpsonscomicbookguy).

• 2 weeks later...

I put Raven's post in spoiler tags just in case some people don't want to know about the upcoming series.  I realise we've been discussing the next doctor as well, but we're only speculating, and just thought I'd spoiler tag it just in case some people don't want to know and would like that particular news to be a surprise. :)