Doctor Who -series nine

ian

I've been in two minds about the finale. I was a bit bored by the penultimate episode (I cottoned on to what was happening really early, so it felt like i was waiting forever for the episode to catch up with me), but I got into the final episode a little more - more so as we approached the end.

Like Michelle, I thought that bit in her spoiler tags was a good idea (although I twigged to that really early on too, so I felt all clever - LOL!).

With how it ended, I do now wonder if there'll be a spin-off series:

With Clara going off in that other TARDIS with Ishilda, it looked to me like they were trying to wring some extra mileage out of Clara as a character, although I doubt Ishildr would feature for long as Maisie Williams is a major cast member in Game of Thrones, although, who knows...

I'm pleased to see River Song will be in the Xmas special - she (and Alex Kingston, who plays her) is a favourite of mine. I'm glad Clara isn't going to be part of it any more, as I've never really liked her. I've warmed to Capaldi as The Doctor, but it's taken a while, and I think this season has been better than last season overall.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really enjoyed it - there was plenty to think about and lots of potential for spin-offs or future appearances. The series as a whole has been excellent IMO, but then I seem to be in the minority of people that actually liked Clara.  

I think she is dead.

It may not be the last we see of Jenna Colman this series, but I don't think Clara is coming back from this one.

Called that!

*cough*

I don't see them doing a Clara and Me series, the premise would be someone steeling a TARDIS and going on the run from the Timelords - sounds a tad familiar that . . .(although I wouldn't rule out a Big Finish spin off at all, they seem to have been milking the franchise for everything that can get, recently).

I am another one who has not got along with Peter Capaldi but I thought the last episode which I finally watched last night was excellent.  I have gone through not liking Clara to finally liking her.

I liked at the end the way the two tardis's went in different directions it made me smile. 

I do like the Christmas episodes wonder if the next companion is going to be in it, I like River Song she keeps the doctor on his toes.

Haven't seen the last two episodes yet but I've seen the spoilers, and I'm looking forward to finding out on how earth they come about.

I also disliked Clara, but thought

Her death episode was brilliant and brilliantly done. Although, given that she apparently comes back, I'm rolling my eyes and wondering why she couldn't just be dead.

Okay in fairness, that was very good. The only thing I don't like is the indulgence of Clara as a character, as I didn't like her. I would have like to have seen that level of devotion to Amy. But that's just me, I'm not saying that should have happened or would have worked.

• 4 months later...

I think it would be good if it wasn't a girl this time.

Me too, but, alas . . .

I'm sure the new actress will be very good and the character will be great etc. but part of me is wondering if they will ever cast a male companion again.  At the moment, the only way I can see that happening is if we get a female Doctor.

Pearl Mackie has picked up over 4,000 Twitter followers in the last 20 minutes!

Oh good, another young feisty, gobby female companion - that's never getting old. 

Couldn't we have more than one companion? I know that they are going with what appears to work, but I would have loved a real change of companion - not the same girl with a different look. A central male companion would have been such a positive change. Pearl Mackie looks like she'll be pretty good, but I did give a sigh when I saw the clip, and I really really don't want Peter Capaldi to become the wacky uncle /constantly misunderstanding /exasperated Doctor, which I think is the direction he will continue to take. 

OK, my fingers are now crossed that I have misread the dynamic. 

It's hard to tell from a short clip, but I was disappointed, and I think she's going to annoy me. I picked up an 80s feeling to her, as did some others, so it could be interesting if he meets her then. I also immediately thought of Ace, but I haven't seen much of her.

Basically Chrissy, I agree with your fears.

• 9 months later...

I always got the impression they kept wanting to prove he wasn't too old for the role, so he was always a little too manic at times, dashing here and there, with limbs flying about. Then there was the way the series frequently became CLARA and the Doctor on too many occasions. 

Let the speculation of a replacement begin!  :D

Well, I think we'll try watching again once Chris Chibnall and the new Doctor take over.  I have no objections to it being a woman or a different ethnicity either (or both!), as long as the scripts and stories are better than the ones with Peter Capaldi.  I still miss Chris Eccleston, David Tennant and Russell T. Davies. :(

When I heard the news that Peter Capaldi was leaving as the doctor, my first thought was - oh thank goodness for that.  I have not enjoyed him being the doctor and some of the story lines were not good.

Onwards and upwards, I wonder who it will be next ...........

I can't remember how far in advance we knew when Peter Capaldi was taking over.  My guess is that's they'll probably try and keep it secret until at least filming time, as someone always finds out as soon as someone new is on set, and it gets leaked anyway, so they'll probably do a big reveal at some point.  Didn't they have a whole programme dedicated to it on BBC One last time?