Doctor Who -series nine

ian

I thought I'd start a thread on the current series, as surely I can't be the only person in the world who's enjoying it?

It may be my age, but some of the episodes this series have really reminded me, in terms of the tone, of Tom Baker era. Now that's always going to go down well with me, as he was "my" Doctor growing up. I like Peter Capaldi as The Doctor, I'm mostly sure that I prefer The MOff over RTD (Christmas specials excepted, they haven't been great) and I even (hunkers down, whispers it quietly) like Jenna Coleman.

I've enjoyed that they have made each adventure into two-parters; I think it's given the writers much more time to build story and tension rather than just a quick info-dump, a chase and a resolution.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Peter Capaldi as the Doctor, but am less inclined toward the character of Clara. 

The two part stories have been pretty good, and I do appreciate them not squeezing stories to fit a single episode. There are a few things I am not happy with, which is a shame. 

I hate the fourth wall being broken, which they have done too many times already. From the impossible girl story arc during Matt Smith's tenure (Run you clever boy etc)  through Deep Breath, the bootstrap paradox nonsense in Before the Flood, and then again in the last episode with Clara looking directly into the camera. It agitates me, and I felt with the Before The Flood instance that if you need to go to such lengths to explain the central premise of your story then you cannot have enough faith in your ability to tell that story.

Now I decided I was not going to like Peter Capaldi as the doctor so decided not to watch any of the shows.  I then thought I would give him a go and decided he wasent that bad really.  So had to do a catch up on all the shows, I am now up to date.

I think of all the new bunch I prefer David Tennant and of the others Jon Pertwee was my favourite.

I think it is definitely at age thing we grew up with Dr Who so you should watch it regardless.  I too am enjoying the two parters as you get more of the story.

I know its stories but how many times do the daleks have to die.  They wipe them out and hey presto another colony.  I suppose it would not be dr who without them.

I even decided to catch up with the Sarah Jane adventures, I am so sad.

I even decided to catch up with the Sarah Jane adventures, I am so sad.

I really enjoyed the Sarah-Jane Adventures. Sarah Jane could be quite temperamental which I found refreshing, and she was not too old to learn new things, be they about the universe or about human relationships and emotions.

My age really shows though when I also want to add how much I LOVED her house, including the attic! :D  

I hate the fourth wall being broken, which they have done too many times already. From the impossible girl story arc during Matt Smith's tenure (Run you clever boy etc)  through Deep Breath, the bootstrap paradox nonsense in Before the Flood, and then again in the last episode with Clara looking directly into the camera. It agitates me, and I felt with the Before The Flood instance that if you need to go to such lengths to explain the central premise of your story then you cannot have enough faith in your ability to tell that story.

I'd not really thought about it, but now I do, they have done that quite a lot this series. Done well, it's something I enjoy (Hustle did it particularly well IMO), but I take your point. To be honest, while I knew the Bootstrap Paradox, I wasn't aware it was called that, so It was nice to learn something.

I think it is definitely at age thing we grew up with Dr Who so you should watch it regardless.

That's true. My older brother is a Pertwee man through and through!

Well, Capaldi knocked that one out of the park.

He certainly did! Kudos to both the writers and the actors involved in that. And Clara made an excellent villian IMO

• 2 weeks later...

And then you get the other end of the scale with last Saturday's episode. Sandmen? Really? I'll admit, I have a very low rubbish threshold, but this smashed it to bits. Easily the worst episode I've seen since DW came back on the TV. Hopefully things will improve drastically this coming Saturday.

I wasn't at all keen on Capaldi last series, but I have to admit that he's he's been rather good in this one. Same with Clara - I haven't been a fan, but recently I thought she's been much better, and I also thought she played evil Bonnie well. 

I didn't manage to watch last Saturdays, and I'm not sure I'm going to bother. I'm very excited about the next 3 episodes though. 

I have just caught up on the last two episodes and I too agree evil Bonnie was excellent.

I don't think the sandman episode finished at all, either that or I missed something. I took it that part two was going to be this week, I might have to watch the ending again.

This series - for reasons I can't quite fathom, as nothing seems to have changed in a lot of ways - has been a big improvement on the last one.

Perhaps it is because Capaldi and Coleman are both more settled in their roles or because the stories play out better over two parts (in some ways it is telling that the only duff episode this year has been a single parter).

The guest cast have also been pretty good, with Michelle Gomez, Maisie Williams and Ingrid Oliver/Jemma Redgrave all being excellent.

What ever, I'm liking it.

Oh, and tomorrow night is all about Clara and me.

(I can dream . . .)

I know she said she was leaving the show, but its not only me who thought, no she's not really dead, is she.

Your led into believing she is going to come back, but I don't think she is.  Probably why Clara has bigger parts over the last few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

It takes a strong character to dominate the whole show, good show

I have to agree. Not only a strong character, but good writing to be able to maintain the audience's attention for 45 mins. It was a shame that my listings mag virtually ruined the ending for me, but never mind. Looking forward to the finale.

So...? I've seen very divided opinions on Gallifrey Base, but I for one rather enjoyed the last episode. As I said before, it took me a long time to get used to Capaldi, and I've never been very keen on Clara - but over this series it's really started to work for me. I have been annoyed with how much Clara's character seem to take over, and even become more important than the Doctor, but I did think it was a good ending for her.

It's been an interesting study of obsession, and not being able to let go, but I think that

wiping some of the Doctors memories

is a good move. I'd like to see a move back to a 'normal' companion, without their own massive plot or storyline.. and with no obsession, love, or whatever! :) 

I'm now looking forward to the Christmas episode.. I don't think Moffat's are that great, but at least this one has River back. :)