Your Book Activity - November 2015

chesilbeach

I finished A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens and Crime at Christmas by C H B Kitchin this morning.  :cheers:

I'm not sure what I'm going to pick up next...  :)

I finished A Tale of Two Cities on Wednesday. Loved it, but will wait for Sunday to post in the group read thread :)

Finished reading Frost Hollow Hall by Emma Carroll - loved it, so perfect for this time of year! And next am moving onto a short novel by the same author called The Snow Sister.

Yay!!! So happy you enjoyed it :smile2:

I started The Wolf Wilder by Katherine Rundell one week ago … it's wonderful!

I read it last a couple of weeks ago … so, so good. Have your read Rooftoppers? Her writing is fantastic, but I'm guessing it'll be a long time before her next book as this one was a hardback edition first, which is unusual for children's books.

Had a wander around my local bookshop this morning as I need to start scoping out Christmas presents! Didn't buy anything, but lots of notes made. :D

I finished reading Gorilla Dawn by Gill Lewis yesterday … she's definitely one of my favourite MG authors. Haven't started anything else yet, so will need to have a look at what I've got left on my TBR now.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading 'Hannah's List' ~ Debbie Macomber....bit of a 'yawn', but easy reading I suppose. Must look out The Snow Child and The Great Christmas Knit Off' for my December reads.

I finished A Tale of Two Cities on Wednesday. Loved it, but will wait for Sunday to post in the group read thread :)

I missed your review of last week's instalment.  I shall go and see what you thought of it. :)

I finished Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome today which is a Counties Challenge book for Cumbria.  I'm not sure what to read next.  I'd trying to read as many as possible of the physical books that I have bought in 2015, so maybe one of those?

So I generally have a big thing about starting and not finishing books, but I also have a thing about, if I am not enjoying a book I shouldn't waste time trying to read it. Reading is supposed to be enjoyable right?

So, I was reading, or trying to read Finders Keepers - Stephen King. I have managed to get some of the way through it...I figured I would give it shot, I don't like it. I can't get into it...so I am putting it down and moving onto something else. Maybe I will try it again another time. Not sure whether it's the book or me just not having the right frame of mind for it. Anyone else had this problem?

Either way, I have put it down and picked up Elianne by Judy Nunn instead.

Shelfy

Edited by BookShelfy91

I read 50% of Pearl S Buck's Sons last night, 25% to go!  Then I plan on book 3 in the series, A House Divided.  Then the read a thon!

Yay :D!

I just finished a book this morning, Anthony Horowitz - De Kracht van Vijf 4: Necropolis (The Power of Five 4: Necropolis), next up is book 5 in the series (my last library loan), Anthony Horowitz - De Kracht van Vijf 5: Oblivion (The Power of Five 5: Oblivion). Then I will read some of my own books, I look forward to that. But I'll miss the library until I loan again in most likely January.

So I generally have a big thing about starting and not finishing books, but I also have a thing about, if I am not enjoying a book I shouldn't waste time trying to read it. Reading is supposed to be enjoyable right?

So, I was reading, or trying to read Finders Keepers - Stephen King. I have managed to get some of the way through it...I figured I would give it shot, I don't like it. I can't get into it...so I am putting it down and moving onto something else. Maybe I will try it again another time. Not sure whether it's the book or me just not having the right frame of mind for it. Anyone else had this problem?

Not with this book (I've never read any Stephen King) but I used to always struggle to the end of a book, but now I'm getting older I think life is just too short to read bad books, so if I'm not engaged by around page 100 then I give up.  I have occasionally gone back to a book and enjoyed it, but there are so many other books out there that I no longer stress about unfinished books. :)

I have started Requiem for a Wren by Nevil Shute.  I'm only on page 59/286 but so far so good - even if I did guess the 'big reveal' at the end of chapter 2 quite soon after I started the book.  :)

I finished The Rabbit Back Literature Society - absolutely LOVED it. One of the first books containing A) magical realism, B) open-endedness and B) unresolved plot points that I actually didnt mind any of those things in, because it was written well enough to leave me satisfied with what answers I got. Full review to follow.

Currently reading The Wolf Wilder, a MG (Middle-Grade) book suggested to me by Chesilbeach. About halfway through and I'm loving it. Reminds me of Sasha & The Wolf Cub by Ann Jungman - a book which, it seems, has only TWO ratings on Goodreads! That's tragic (It has three now!) - which is a childrens' book that I absolutely adored as a child and still re-read occasionally.

I think I may actually be back on track to hit 120 books by the end of December, even though I only read 2 in October! Yay for shorter, kids books :lol:

I think I may actually be back on track to hit 120 books by the end of December, even though I only read 2 in October! Yay for shorter, kids books :lol:

It's one of the reasons I was able to get to such a high total this year :giggle2:.

I'm currently reading Anthony Horowitz - De Kracht van Vijf 5: Oblivion (The Power of Five 5: Oblivion), which is going nicely so far, I'm enjoying it. It's suspenseful.

I might have to read a few children's books from the local library, after all I can't learn a nieuw language in a day.

Where are you at? "Nieuw" means "new" in Dutch :D. So you learned one word in a strange language :giggle2:.

I'm about halfway through Pratchett's Wyrd Sisters and really enjoying it.

I really liked Wyrd Sisters, I'm glad you're enjoying it :).

I haven't read any more since this morning in the book I was reading (see up for title), because my dog Boris wanted attention. I couldn't sit down on the sofa or he wanted to be pet :giggle2:. It's cute. But I plan to do some reading this afternoon.

I'm moving to Hoorn wednesday next week, a port town up north. I played a bit with the website Duolingo, but didn't learn much yet.

Good luck with the move and learning Dutch :).

I'm reading Anthony Horowitz - De Kracht van Vijf 5: Oblivion (The Power of Five 5: Oblivion), I read quite a lot in it yesterday afternoon. For a while though I had trouble concentrating for some reason, that was a bit annoying. I'm enjoying the book, it's quite suspenseful, but it doesn't have a lot of 'breather' moments so I am also looking forward to reading something that's less "death / capture threats" on almost every page. It's a good book though. I just have that with thrillers (this is a fantasy thriller according to the back of the book) that I need to read something much different, after (something calmer).

After slow progress with Dissolution for many weeks, over 2 evenings i put down my phone & the tv controller and just got through the last 250 pages easily. I enjoyed it in the main, but I think what made it better was I had recently watched a documentary about 'The last days of Anne Boleyn' and all the points raised in the documentary - about whether she was framed for adultery/treason - were part of the story. It meant I had a better understanding of what the known facts were in comparison to what this story's version of events was. Added to the fact that I am also finally getting round to watching Wolf Hall, it's been a bit of a Henry VII/Anne Boleyn/Thomas Cromwell theme going on!

Next up is my last library book - Fall of Giants by Ken Follett. I loved Pillars & World without end so it'll be interesting to see how this compares. Though it could take me some time to get through as it's somewhat of a massive tome!

Edited by More reading time required

Next up is my last library book - Fall of Giants by Ken Follett. I loved Pillars & World without end so it'll be interesting to see how this compares. Though it could take me some time to get through as it's somewhat of a massive tome!

I recently read The Pillars of the World and World Without End, they are massive! They were great though, I quite enjoyed reading them. I own Fall of Giants but I haven't read it yet (after those two big tomes I need a long break from huge historical fiction books). I hope you enjoy it :).

I'm currently reading Catherine Ryan Hyde - Always Chloe and Other Stories (gifted to me by the lovely Anna Begins). I quite liked the novella Always Chloe, that was really good. The story after that, The Lion Lottery I found a bit confusing with its American slang and some things weren't explained enough to me. It was an allright read but it was just okay. Now there are I believe two stories left in the book.

After slow progress with Dissolution for many weeks, over 2 evenings i put down my phone & the tv controller and just got through the last 250 pages easily. I enjoyed it in the main, but I think what made it better was I had recently watched a documentary about 'The last days of Anne Boleyn' and all the points raised in the documentary - about whether she was framed for adultery/treason - were part of the story. It meant I had a better understanding of what the known facts were in comparison to what this story's version of events was. Added to the fact that I am also finally getting round to watching Wolf Hall, it's been a bit of a Henry VII/Anne Boleyn/Thomas Cromwell theme going on!

I saw that documentary a while back and it did amuse me, the way the various historians were disagreeing with each other's theories  :giggle2:   If you're interested in the fall of Anne Boleyn and you've already read Hilary Mantel's books, Alison Weir's The Lady in the Tower is worth a look  :smile:

I'm 270 pages into Jack Campbell's Dauntless, the first book in his 'Lost Fleet' series.  It's not great - which is a bummer considering I bought the whole series in a Kindle sale a while back  :giggle2: