Your Book Activity - November 2015

chesilbeach

Tell us all about your daily book reading, buying, acquiring, organising … anything you've done with books today!

I finished The Dead House yesterday for the Hallowe'en Read-A-Thon, and today, I'm planning to read Omens by Kelley Armstrong too, as well as trying to fit in my group read chapters of A Tale of Two Cities.

What will you be reading? :)

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy November everyone!  :reading:

Despite saying I wouldn't buy any more books, I'm afraid I was lured in by the charity shops of Windsor. They have two lovely ones that actually have their own bookshops (rooms!) and of course the money is all for a good cause.  :blush2: I picked up the following for the grand total of a fiver! :)

The Scapegoat - Daphne Du Maurier

Bay of Secrets - Rosanna Ley

With Your Crooked Heart - Helen Dunmore

Mothers and Daughters - Leah Fleming

I cannot believe it is November!

So much for my theory about library books! I have severely neglected my reading lately (and also message boards ;) ) but this afternoon I made a concerted effort to finish my current book - Retromancer by Robert Rankin. It wasn't one of his best but it still had lots of funny bits in it. I started another library book - Dissolution by C J Sansom.

Well I can't believe it's taken me 6 weeks to read Afterlife by Claudia Gray. So glad it's finally over and I can move onto something I'm excited to read....now to figure out what that will be.

Doesn't it feel great to finally finish a novel that's been taking you ages, and which you didn't really enjoy.... :exc: A new novel, look out! :D Any thoughts on what to read next? 

I'm about two thirds of the way through Omens and it's been really good to come back to Kelley Armstrong after a break.  This one is the first of a series of books set in Cainsville, and it's very intriguing so far, and as always, Armstrong's supernatural characters living in the modern world we know are brilliantly developed.  Hoping to read more this evening … maybe even finish it, as it's such a page turner! :D

I've not read any of Kelley Armstrong's more recent stuff. I read all the Women of the Otherworld series, the Nadia Stafford books, and The Darkest Powers trilogy, but I haven't read anything of hers since then, which is surprising, really, because she's one of my favourite authors of this ilk. I really must get back to her...

I've not read any of Kelley Armstrong's more recent stuff. I read all the Women of the Otherworld series, the Nadia Stafford books, and The Darkest Powers trilogy, but I haven't read anything of hers since then, which is surprising, really, because she's one of my favourite authors of this ilk. I really must get back to her...

I think if you like Kelley Armstrong, you're going to enjoy Omens, Kell.  It's the start of a new series, and a bit of a change from the Women of the Otherworld series, much more along the conventional thriller story route and with a strong female lead, but with some supernatural elements that look like they will be gradually revealed across the series.  It's very much her style of writing though, which I find so enjoyable to read, and I finished it today and will definitely be going on to the next books in the series. :)

I'm back to The Bone Clocks now, and just over halfway through.  I think it'll be another weeks reading at least, especially with a detour into A Tale of Two Cities at some point this week.  Lots of people being introduced over a long time period, but I really want it to start pulling the story together soon, otherwise I'm going to get a bit annoyed … especially as I've invested so much time in it already, I'm determined to finish it, and want it to be worth my while! :D

Started and am now on Part 2 of Margaret Atwood's The Heart Goes Last, which was her Positron 4 part series.  This breaks my 
"Margaret Atwood free year" year.  :smile:  :readingtwo:  So I went with Dystopia. 

Stan and Charmaine are a married couple trying to stay afloat in the midst of an economic and social collapse. Job loss has forced them to live in their car, leaving them vulnerable to roving gangs.   The Positron Project in the town of Consilience seems to be the answer to their prayers: No one is unemployed and everyone gets a comfortable, clean house to live in . . . for six months out of the year. On alternating months, residents must leave their homes and function as inmates in a prison system. But when Charmaine becomes romantically involved with the man who lives in their house during the months when she and Stan are in the prison, a series of troubling events unfolds, putting Stan's life in danger. With each passing day, Positron looks less like a prayer answered and more like a chilling prophecy fulfilled.

I'm currently reading Nina Elizabeth Grøntvedt - Hey, Dit Ben Ik! (Hei, Det Er Meg). I haven't been reading that much the past few days, and probably won't today, as I'm busy cataloguing my books. I hope to be finished with that, and with the book, today, so I can start read(-a-thon-)ing tomorrow, but we'll see. Otherwise I'll start by Friday at least.

Currently reading The Well of Loneliness as part of the English Counties Challenge.  Going OK, but not the most engaging read ever.  Took a short break last night and rattled through the graphic novel Gemma Bovery by Posy Simmonds.  I'm not a fan of graphic novels (aside from Asterix!), but read this as part of another challenge.  Enjoyed it, if enjoyed is the right word for such a downbeat book (I know it's meant to be funny, witty etc, but I can't say the humour rubbed off on me particularly).  Oddly, I found the ending more affective (and effective!) than the original.  Didn't much change my view of graphic novels though.

Page 392 out of 598 of The Bone Clocks and if *finally* looks like the story is actually going to start coming together!  :readingtwo:  :o

:o Wow!  You've been reading it for sometime, so it must be difficult.  Are you enjoying it, at least?

:o Wow!  You've been reading it for sometime, so it must be difficult.  Are you enjoying it, at least?

Hmm, interesting question … I'm not sure.  It's not a difficult read, it's just that I know that the hard back has a fairly small typeface, so with that and being almost 600 pages, it's a *lot* of text to read!  I have read a couple of other books in between, but it just takes concentration, as every now and again, he'll throw in something linking the characters stories to the bigger picture … but that hasn't been revealed yet, so you have to remember all those things too.  I'm so far in now, I have to finish, but I'm hoping that this latest development is actually going to lead somewhere this time. :lol:

I couldn't get on with The Sense of an Elephant (not the book's fault! I'm still keeping it and will read it at a later point. I think I will love it when I'm in the right mood), and so I put it down and went for something I have a Finnish copy of. Ended up starting The Bird of Night by Susan Hill. 

I'm so far in now, I have to finish, but I'm hoping that this latest development is actually going to lead somewhere this time. :lol:

Aw!  :lol:

I have about 100 pages left of Margaret Atwood's amazing The Heart Goes Last.

I am still waiting for it to get weird. 

:lol:

Definitely approaching the finish line now Claire - I salute you!

I finished Wild Swans which was incredible and I just couldn't put it down, even though work and social commitments dictated I had to far too much! I wanted something completely different after that so read Moneyball, which given my love of baseball has taken me ages to get around to!

Now back onto rather more serious reading matter than batting averages and have picked up Birdsong. I really seem to have picked some quite harrowing reads this year...

I finished The Heart Goes Last by Margaret Atwood and now am read a thoning, reading some short stories and Kindle Singles.  Right now it's Ask Me Twice by Helen Childress (she wrote the movie Reality Bites and another Kindle Single I liked, called Old Girls in Low Cotton).