Good book/s to read in Autumn/Winter season?

Looking for a good and enjoyable book to read throughout Autumn/Winter. One that has a seasonal feel to it..if that makes sense!? I was reading LOTR but I am taking a break from it and its too huge to carry around in my bag at Uni.

Nothing childish, no romance,horror,fantasy,sci-fi, and nothing to fancy and detailed!. Although if its a must read within those genres..feel free to post it :3

Thanks for your suggestions. !

Hi Mumford, not sure what country you're based in, but if you like classic crime in the UK we have a series called British Library Crime Classics, and they have just published a couple of Christmas crime themed books, one is called The Santa Claus Mystery (set in a country house where a man in a Santa suit is found murdered), and the other is a short story collection called Silent Nights.

If you like cosy crime, Elizabeth Peters' book Trojan Gold is very snowy, set in a German ski resort, but it's quite light-hearted and fast-paced.

Hi Mumford, not sure what country you're based in, but if you like classic crime in the UK we have a series called British Library Crime Classics, and they have just published a couple of Christmas crime themed books, one is called The Santa Claus Mystery (set in a country house where a man in a Santa suit is found murdered), and the other is a short story collection called Silent Nights.

If you like cosy crime, Elizabeth Peters' book Trojan Gold is very snowy, set in a German ski resort, but it's quite light-hearted and fast-paced.

Yes I am from the uk. Thanks for the suggestions, will be sure to look them up and read reviews of them! :)

Looking for a good and enjoyable book to read throughout Autumn/Winter. One that has a seasonal feel to it..if that makes sense!? I was reading LOTR but I am taking a break from it and its too huge to carry around in my bag at Uni.

Nothing childish, no romance,horror,fantasy,sci-fi, and nothing to fancy and detailed!. Although if its a must read within those genres..feel free to post it :3

Thanks for your suggestions. !

Hello Mumford and welcome!

I have two quite odd suggestions for you, books I happened across this year which made an impression. If you have not read them, I loved both.

1) The Reluctant Fundamentalist, (I have forgotten who wrote it!) I loved it , atmospheric and beautifully written. Not long though and a disturbing read, very relevant to our times. 

2) City of Thieves, David Banioff? (I think) I did not expect to like this really, but I loved it, again beautifully written and despite it's dark subject (it takes place in the siege of Leningrad) it has wonderful humour. Again, quite short.

Hope they are of use.

Hello Mumford and welcome!

I have two quite odd suggestions for you, books I happened across this year which made an impression. If you have not read them, I loved both.

1) The Reluctant Fundamentalist, (I have forgotten who wrote it!) I loved it , atmospheric and beautifully written. Not long though and a disturbing read, very relevant to our times. 

2) City of Thieves, David Banioff? (I think) I did not expect to like this really, but I loved it, again beautifully written and despite it's dark subject (it takes place in the siege of Leningrad) it has wonderful humour. Again, quite short.

Hope they are of use.

Thanks for the suggestions! :)

Good day.....

I am new to the forum and love the winter as it gives you permission to curl up with a great book when it is snowing and blowing outside. I live in Canada and we had snow storm already.

I just found the author: Rosamonde Pilcher and just finished The Shell Seekers. Great book and will be looking at the library in my home town for other books by her.

Cannot wait to hear what you thought of the book.

From Canada booklover

Helen

• 1 month later...