How do you read your Kindle

Baldingbookworm

Hi book fans

A slightly strange topic title but i hope all becomes clear.  I also use a kindle as a method to read books but i seem to be the only one who reads it in the landscape mode rather than portrait mode.  In fact i have never seen anyone else reading a kindle this way !   I have been called several things with the most common being weird.  Thankfully they are my friends so i can take it all on the chin.

I find that reading in landscape gives me a view of a page of words that i feel is more like a book.  In portrait mode i feel it is all squeezed in a little tight, even with the margins open to maximum width.  It is even better now that they have upgraded my kindle and im now using the Bookerly font.

Is this weird or are their more of us out there that read a kindle like this.  If you kindle can swap reading modes try it and see what you think.  Im interested in your views.

Richard

I've tried reading in Landscape mode, but found it very odd and stopped me from getting into the book. I always read portrait with the margins as small as possible, but I do tend to change fonts a lot - like several times in a book. I use Publisher's Font if it's available, but other times I'm always changing font and size.

I didn't even know you could do that! Well, that's me entertained for the rest of the weekend, just playing with that feature

If I'm reading in bed and lying down, then I read in landscape mode, but the rest of the time I have it on portrait. Not sure why I do the change about, but it suits me.

The font size I change depending on how tired my eyes are, although I have just been prescribed reading glasses so that should end the font shuffle.  :smile:

Got really excited after learning this was possible, before playing around and realising my Kindle doesn't do this... assume it's only certain ones?

I use my tablet to read books, I have Kindle for tablet installed on it. Not sure if that feature is on it, I'll have to have a look. Could be useful if I'm lying in bed - the tablet will prop up by itself on its cover in landscape mode and facilitate extreme laziness on my part!

If I'm reading my Kindle, I tend to keep it portrait-wise unless I've been sent something for review which has tiny text and doesn't enlarge within the page properly, then I'll switch to landscape, but I don't like it much that way. The case I have on my Kindle folds out to be a stand, so I can prop it up on the table in front of me and just click the button to the next page without having to hold it, so great for lunchtime reading on the rare occasion I'm alone - LOL!

I also have the Kindle app on my phone, which is very handy if I'm out and about because it automatically syncs to where I'm up to when I open it up, and because it's back-lit (which my Kindle isn't), I can read in bed at night without disturbing Dale, which is also very handy!

I read a bit on my Kindle this morning and tried the landscape mode, and because you don't have the keyboard or buttons on the Paperwhite, it actually worked really well.  I did actually find it easy to hold and more balanced in my hand.  Might continue for a while and see how it goes. :)

I also have the Kindle app on my phone, which is very handy if I'm out and about because it automatically syncs to where I'm up to when I open it up, and because it's back-lit (which my Kindle isn't), I can read in bed at night without disturbing Dale, which is also very handy!

I use the Kindle app on my phone too. It's great because like you say, it syncs automatically to the last page read, and I now don't need to take my Kindle out with me.

Chesilbeach and Co

Glad i posed the question now.  It's been interesting to see the responses from everyone.  Im going to ask people on the train when i see them reading their kindle if they have tried it.

Hope i dot get thumped !!!!