What's Up in October? - 2015

frankie

Even though it's Monday I feel really good and managed to get lots accomplished today. Got the bills sorted, ran some important errands, made some necessary calls, etc, so all in all, a good day. Spent the weekend deep cleaning and disinfecting my home. Seems all the little ones had something or other running. After a deep cleaning all feels MUCH better now! I can pretty much relax when I get home and actually enjoy the children before holing up in my bedroom, lol! Kids went back to school today on a two hour delay. They'll be doing this for the rest of the week. The state is slowing getting back to some form of normalcy. 

OAN: Went to the local florist to pick up the weekly company flower arrangements. I walked in to this florist shop that seems to have vomited Halloween from back door to front door. Its been like this for weeks so I'm used to it. What I WASN'T prepared for was the Christmas music. Yes, Christmas music and Halloween decorations. My brain hemorrhaged. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chaliepud, sorry to hear about the dentist :(. I hope you feel a bit better by now. I really don't like being at the dentists'.

Noll, I hope you feel a bit better by now :flowers2:.

Chrissy, I hope you have / had fun in Stuttgart :)

Virginia, it sounds so scary what you've been through. I'm glad things have calmed down a bit. 

Sabry, how good of you to join a book club in English! I hope you have fun :)

I've been on holiday in the UK for 9 days and have been back since a couple of days. We had lots of fun! I had a great appointment with my psychiatrist and the past few days have been resting and getting back to 'normal'. I still have to catch up on the forum and on emails and other things I missed (we had no internet connection). Last Saturday my aunt came by and my brother and his girlfriend too, so I spent some time talking with them, that was nice. My birthday is coming up in less than two weeks so I'm planning for that. At the end of the month and beginning of next month there's a book fair nearby here, I will be going to that as well (using my birthday money which I've asked a few people for). That's about it, briefly.

I'm glad you're all doing okay, it's nice to read what you've all been up to :).

It sounds like you had a lovely vacation, Athena!  Did you do a lot of shopping while you were there and come home with new books? ;)

Virginia, it's good to hear SC is getting back to normal somewhat.  Are you far from where the worst of the flooding has been?  

Things are just as busy as ever up in my neck of the woods.  I had a long weekend recently and went up to the cabin to wrap things up for the summer season.  It's beautiful up there in the fall but it's always such a bittersweet time, knowing I probably won't be going back up until again until May.  Here are a few photos for your viewing pleasure of the lake, our road and the old bunk house at the edge of the property:

post-8818-0-40928600-1444831442_thumb.jpgpost-8818-0-58881200-1444831450_thumb.jpgpost-8818-0-95140400-1444831457_thumb.jpg

This week I'm dog/house sitting until Saturday and on Saturday night I'm going to a new Asian restaurant with my 2 friends - we go out to eat once a month to places we've never been and it's always fun.  

I hope everyone has a lovely rest of the week! :D

It sounds like you had a lovely vacation, Athena!  Did you do a lot of shopping while you were there and come home with new books? ;)

I did, thanks :)! And yes, I did :giggle2:.

Things are just as busy as ever up in my neck of the woods.  I had a long weekend recently and went up to the cabin to wrap things up for the summer season.  It's beautiful up there in the fall but it's always such a bittersweet time, knowing I probably won't be going back up until again until May.  Here are a few photos for your viewing pleasure of the lake, our road and the old bunk house at the edge of the property:

This week I'm dog/house sitting until Saturday and on Saturday night I'm going to a new Asian restaurant with my 2 friends - we go out to eat once a month to places we've never been and it's always fun.  

I hope everyone has a lovely rest of the week! :D

Those photos are beautiful! Good luck with the house sitting and have fun at the restaurant!

I wish you, and everyone else, a great rest of the week too :)!

OH and I went out to a concert this week, the first time I've seen any live music in ages.  It was Matthew Halshall (jazz trumpeter and bandleader) and the Gondwana Orchestra … first time I've ever seen a harpist live too.  Brilliant night, made a lovely change to actually go out together. :D

I'll be working on Sunday, so after I've run a few errands in the morning, I intend to spend a lazy afternoon reading tomorrow.  Next week's going to be a hectic one at work and need to make sure I get some R&R before then! :lol:

Absolutely manic few days at work and I can't believe we are well into October already. I'm returning to Vegas next week so I'm really looking forward to that, it will be my last bit of sun for the year I suspect. It's my birthday in November and my girlfriend is taking me somewhere abroad for a few days. The best thing is that I have no idea where we are going, all I know is that it's a country I haven't been to before.

Have you ever been to Wales? If you have not, that could be a major disappointment you have looming.

:D  I've not been to Wales. I wouldn't be disappointed at going to Wales though, the surprise aspect of the trip is the thing I like most. I've been checked into the flight already and I know what airport we are leaving from. If I really felt like trying to find out I think I could work it out.

Your cabin is gorgeous, Peacefield. It looks like something out of a movie/TV show. :)

That's great, Brian! How lovely of your partner to arrange a surprise trip for you. :)

In a little over a week I'll be going to New Zealand for a few weeks with my mum. We've never been before. Very excited!

OH and I went out to a concert this week, the first time I've seen any live music in ages.  It was Matthew Halshall (jazz trumpeter and bandleader) and the Gondwana Orchestra … first time I've ever seen a harpist live too.  Brilliant night, made a lovely change to actually go out together. :D

I'll be working on Sunday, so after I've run a few errands in the morning, I intend to spend a lazy afternoon reading tomorrow.  Next week's going to be a hectic one at work and need to make sure I get some R&R before then! :lol:

I'm glad you had fun at the concert :). Good luck with the hectic week! 

Absolutely manic few days at work and I can't believe we are well into October already. I'm returning to Vegas next week so I'm really looking forward to that, it will be my last bit of sun for the year I suspect. It's my birthday in November and my girlfriend is taking me somewhere abroad for a few days. The best thing is that I have no idea where we are going, all I know is that it's a country I haven't been to before.

I wish you lots of fun in Vegas, and also on your surprise trip :)!

In a little over a week I'll be going to New Zealand for a few weeks with my mum. We've never been before. Very excited!

I wish you lots of fun in New Zealand :).

Yesterday my grandparents visited us and we had dinner with them. I'm going to rest a bit in the next few days, because next weekend is my birthday weekend (so it'll be a bit busy then).

This year is continuing to whiz by at an alarming rate.  We've been busy recently finishing off decorating the living room.  Everything feels fresh again which always makes me feel better.

I took a chance at work and applied for a promotion.  I knew I didn't have quite the level of experience they required but I wanted them to know I was looking to push forward in the future.  I did manage to get an interview, which was absolutely terrifying, as are all interviews and although I didn't get the position, it has brought me to the attention of those higher up in the organisation.  I got great feedback from my managers and I'm hoping this will open up new possibilities for me in the future.  Fingers crossed :D

Good luck Lily!

Monday has started off feet first. Got the two oldest off to school and got turned around going to work because my GPS decided it wanted a go at me. I've had to find different routes to work because of the roads situation after the massive flooding my state experienced a little over a week ago. Got to work about 4 minutes late and have been going nonstop (til now). 

When it quiets down I'll be poking around on nanowrimo for a bit, getting caught up on goodreads and jotting down some ideas. I might slip in a bit of reading before my lunch. It just takes a little manuveoring here and there but I'll get it done!

I took a chance at work and applied for a promotion.  I knew I didn't have quite the level of experience they required but I wanted them to know I was looking to push forward in the future.  I did manage to get an interview, which was absolutely terrifying, as are all interviews and although I didn't get the position, it has brought me to the attention of those higher up in the organisation.  I got great feedback from my managers and I'm hoping this will open up new possibilities for me in the future.  Fingers crossed :D

Good luck :)!

When it quiets down I'll be poking around on nanowrimo for a bit, getting caught up on goodreads and jotting down some ideas. I might slip in a bit of reading before my lunch. It just takes a little manuveoring here and there but I'll get it done!

Good luck with NaNoWriMo :).

There's a library sale at my library soon, so I'm excited for this. I will also borrow some books for November's read-a-thon. :D

And then there's also a book fair soon :D.

I don't think there's another thread on weekend doings but if there is please feel free to delete this one!

I'm sitting at work watching the clock because the witching hour starts at 4 around here. That's when my coworkers come to me with massive amounts of missives to be processed through our in house postal service and last minute runs need to be made. I like to take a break before it happens because crap and fans are prevalent around here, lol!

While sitting here gathering my thoughts my mind ran across what to do this weekend. Then my mind got to wandering about what everyone else was doing this weekend!

For the first time in months, the kids/daughter will be out of the house (visiting their paternal grandfather) so the hubby and I have the weekend to ourselves. As he doesn't get off til the wee hours on Saturday mornings I usually get the kids dressed and out to do fun things geared towards them. THIS Saturday I am going to do my usual early morning housework, then hit the bookstore. I might see if the street market is open. I haven't heard anything since the flooding. If its a no go then I'll do a little thrift store shopping then head home. By then hubby will be up and we may go to the State Fair as I have free tickets. Come home and have a grown up inspired dinner and a restful night. Maybe we'll go back "home" Sunday to visit family and attend church.

What's up for YOUR weekend?

I have moved your thread into this one, because I don't see the need of having a specific thread for weekends vs. during weekdays.

I hope you have a nice weekend, it sounds nice :). This weekend it's my 30th birthday. On Saturday we'll be preparing lots of food, there'll be baking and cooking. And on Sunday, my actual birthday, we'll have a lot of visitors. I look forward to it all :).

HBD this weekend, Athena!  I hope you have a lot of fun at your celebration with your friends, family and food! :D

Your weekend sounds lovely, Virginia.  A perfect blend of shopping, relaxing and being with ones you love.  

I'm doing my usual of working from home tomorrow and then hitting the gym for my Zumba class.  Saturday morning bright and early I'm meeting my friends at a flea market, the last of the season, and will be having lunch afterwards.  Other than that I also see house cleaning in my future and hopefully reading and working on art projects.

I hope everyone has a great weekend ahead of them! :D 

:thud:

I've been so tired lately. Moved back on-site at work, so have to get back into a routine of getting up early enough to get ready and go to work, rather than just sitting up in bed and turning on the laptop :giggle: I miss working from home. I also have some tough work ahead of me, I'm being trained in something this afternoon (I don't even know what, really), and then I have to train other people in it next week. Then I have another full day's training next week, which I'll probably also have to teach to people. I hate training.

Went to see Hamlet live from the Barbican (with Benedict Cumberbatch) on Monday, and aside from some sound/visual issues with the stream, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Some weird and some really great production choices, well worth seeing.

Today after work (whenever that is) I'll be heading to my parents for the weekend, which isn't really going to give me a break from the stress of work, but it'll be nice to see my dog at least. And there should be birthday cake for me (its not my birthday, but I won't be down there for my birthday so having it this weekend instead).

Mostly I just want to sleep.

Awww I'm sorry you've been so tired lately :(. Good luck with all the training, it sounds pretty exhausting!

Hamlet sounds nice :). I like Benedict Cumberbatch.

Have fun with at your parents' place :).

I hope you can rest a bit soon :friends0:.

Tonight my dad will be on live national TV, so I will be watching that. We'll also be shopping for my birthday this weekend. Aside from those things, I plan to rest and read on the sofa, because tomorrow and Sunday will be busy.

Whaaaaaat you can't just skim over that! Why will he be on national tv?? Also happy 30th birthday for this weekend!

:lol:

He will be on TV in a popular programme, it's a round-the-table discussion with a couple of people. One of the subjects this time is the new autonomous drive mode of the Tesla car. My dad is a professor in control systems technology and he knows a lot about automotive, cars, robots and technology. It's not his first national TV appearance, though he's not been on a programme before that has this many viewers (1.5 million, the Netherlands has ~17 million people. I believe the previous round-the-table programme appearance he had, was with 1 million viewers). He has been on national radio before as well (he was on two different radio channels this week actually). He's also appeared in the news for several different channels, and he was on the Belgian TV recently. He is sometimes in newspapers too. He is one of the experts on automotive and robots, and the newspeople sometimes reach out to him for a comment. The last big thing he was on TV for, was the VW scandal with the emissions of the VW cars being higher in real life situations than VW had said they would be. My dad is a big advocate for electric driving, he really likes his Tesla S. I'm quite proud of my dad :).

Went to my favourite cafe for the last time on Saturday. :(  They're closing down the cafe side of the business to concentrate on the cake making, so I'll have to find somewhere else to read my book at the weekends now.  The owner made the effort to have a chat with me to say thank you for my custom despite being run off her feet which was lovely of her, and I'm going to miss them.  There are a few other places locally, but none are so convenient a location, and no-one makes proper toast!

I've now got a couple of days off after a very long and busy week last week, but first off I need to take my car to get my tyres checked out, as the back ones are starting to look like they might need changing, or at least will do soon, and depending on how that goes will decide what I do with the rest of my day.