Good Evening!

Amber

Hello everyone,  :sign0144:

My name is Amber and I am not very experienced on forums, so I hope I cope (or I hope you can all cope with me!).

I have never been in a book club, I think I would be a bit intimidated!

I love to read, my first love being classics, (Austen, Bronte's, Hardy, Dickens and so on and the major Russian authors too) I have also read and enjoyed many modern classics but I also read modern novels and usually pick something that takes my fancy off the booker shortlist and if I love it, I read all that authors work.

I hope to have lots of chats with fellow book lovers, I hope to make some friends who love books, so please get in touch!

:smile:

Welcome here, Amber :)! There are plenty of people here who love classics, I hope you enjoy your time here. If you have any questions regarding the use of the forum or anything like that, feel free to ask them. I'm always happy to help someone out :) (and I'm sure the other moderators feel the same way).

Welcome to the forum, Amber. We're having a group read of A Tale of Two Cities by Dickens, you can join it if you want.

Thank you Woolf!

Not my favourite Dickens so very nice to be invited but I will settle in a bit first, (and find out what a group read is!)

I hope you all enjoy it. :smile:

Thank you all for such a warm welcome and I am sorry for the delay in replying.

We are nearing the end of some house renovations and I have just been run off my feet!

I am really looking forward to spending some more time here once I have conquered the never ending dust!

Hello Amber! :welcome2:

I see you're reading A Week In December at the moment … I'll be interested to hear what you make of it :)

Hello Chesilbeach!

It is quite an odd read so far (just over half way), not gripping me totally but interesting.  I am struck by the excellent research, but we know Mr Faulks can do that well.

I am hoping that very soon I start to love it!

It is clear I could not be Hedge fund operator.

Ah well.... :giggle2:

Hello Amber and welcome, from a fellow Bronte fan.

Hi Madeleine

Oh Good!

I think I prefer the wonderful Emily, and Ann, more than Charlotte in fact, but they are all outstanding of course.

I often think that 3 girls in a remote vicarage really, really developed wonderful imagination.

I feel quite deprived that I was never brought up in that way!  :giggle2:

Hi Madeleine

Oh Good!

I think I prefer the wonderful Emily, and Ann, more than Charlotte in fact, but they are all outstanding of course.

I often think that 3 girls in a remote vicarage really, really developed wonderful imagination.

I feel quite deprived that I was never brought up in that way!  :giggle2:

Yes it must have been a very strange life, although to their credit Anne and Charlotte did both manage to get out and work abroad for a while.  There's a new book out about the Brontes which I read a review of last week,  I can't remember what the title is but they sound even stranger than I thought they were.  Fascinating though.

It's Charlotte's 200th birthday next year so lots of Bronte stuff coming up.

Hope the house renovations went well and there's not too much dust to clear up!

Good luck with the renovations :). I hope the dust will all be gone soon! When we / my parents had things done on the house, it took a while too to clean everything up.

Thank you Athena

My renovations are almost complete, so I am cleaning frantically! Nice to see it coming together though.

It will be lovely to get all my books onto their new shelves!

Yes it must have been a very strange life, although to their credit Anne and Charlotte did both manage to get out and work abroad for a while.  There's a new book out about the Brontes which I read a review of last week,  I can't remember what the title is but they sound even stranger than I thought they were.  Fascinating though.

It's Charlotte's 200th birthday next year so lots of Bronte stuff coming up.

Hope the house renovations went well and there's not too much dust to clear up!

Hi Madeleine,

Yes there will be lots of Bronte stuff, wonderful! Bramwell was also an interesting character, but troubled soul.

Wuthering heights was my favourite novel for many years, and it is still in a special place for me, I think it was the sheer, raw and frightening passion. Still makes me shudder, (but I like that).

:giggle: