Monsters in Literature

Kylie

I found this list (with cute pictures!) showing monsters in literature from the least to the most scary.

What do you all think? Do you agree with this order? How would you rate them?

Warning: For those who are scared of clowns, the link opens up to a picture of Pennywise. Just shut your eyes and scroll down quickly. ;)

It speaks volumes that the second most scary monster is the Grand High Witch from The Witches by Roald Dahl - a book aimed at children. Dahl never shied away from giving kids the really good scary stuff! ;)

Personally, I've always found the more subtle monsters the scariest - the ones who hid behind a good looking face and look like normal people but who are psychotic, murderous, and pure evil on the inside.

Is Voldy not there? I know that technically he's a human but with all he had done to himself .. he must qualify as a monster. He frightened me anyway :D 

I'm not made of stern stuff enough to have read It .. I'd like to give it a go. Perhaps I will when I know someone is going to be in the house for at least a fortnight during/after :blush2:  

It speaks volumes that the second most scary monster is the Grand High Witch from The Witches by Roald Dahl - a book aimed at children. Dahl never shied away from giving kids the really good scary stuff! ;)

I went to the movies to see The Witches when it came out. According to IMDB, that was in 1990, so I was 8. The movie wouldn't be scary to kids today (or probably back then, for that matter), but I was a little 'soft', so it was too scary for me. :( Mum had to take me outside and we waited while my brother watched the end of it. I don't remember having a particular problem with the witches when I first read the book though. My imagination mustn't have been vivid enough. ;)

And Kay, I can't believe I didn't notice Voldy's absence! He surely deserves a place on the list. Oh, and those horrid dementors, too.

I started reading It last Halloween but couldn't quite get into it (my fault, not the book's). But even a year later, what little I've read of it is quite clear in my mind, so it won't be difficult to pick up from where I left off. I'd try again this Halloween, but I'm currently absorbed in reading a book about a real-life monster, Ted Bundy, which already has me looking over my shoulder a bit.  :lurker: I'll need a bit of light reading next, I think!

I agree, the Shrike is quite scary!

I found the Cruciforms much more scary than the Shrike, but that's probably just me

I found the Cruciforms much more scary than the Shrike, but that's probably just me

I read the book in Dutch so I'm not sure what you mean (also, I forgot a lot). I have the English version too though so I think it's time for a (re-)read :).

I read the book in Dutch so I'm not sure what you mean (also, I forgot a lot). I have the English version too though so I think it's time for a (re-)read :).

It's in the first tale of Hyperion (The priest's tale) - the Cruciform are the alien "leeches" that once attached cannot be removed and mean the person they are attached to cannot die

Edited by ian