Halloween is coming!

Kell

It's just over two weeks to Halloween - is anyone else as excited as I am?

I ADORE Halloween - every year I look forward to getting into the spooky spirit. Unfortunately, I'm married to someone who doesn't really "get" Halloween, so I have to tone things down a little.

This ear, however, BOTH our boys are old enough to be taken trick-or-treating, so Dale will be taking the boys out while I stay home and dole out the treats to the tricksters who come to the door.

And, yes, I'll be getting dressed up! Of course I am! This is ME we're talking about here - LOL! I'll be getting dolled up as the Bride of Frankenstein (I've just been colouring in wooden "bolts" silver to stick to my neck with eyelash glue).

I've already gathered all manner of treats - of course there are sweeties, but there will also be some fruit and lots of little toys too (think the kind of stuff you get in party bags - crayons, plastic animals, novelty erasers, bouncy balls that look like eyeballs etc), as a lot of kids around our way have food allergies and we know of at least one kid with diabetes and we wouldn't want anyone to feel left out.

I've also prepared a load of "dares" which will be printed on slips of paper. Kids can take one treat from the bowl, or they can do a dare and take two treats for their troubles. It's all stuff like sing a nursery rhyme, tell a joke, pull a funny face, etc, so lots of funny little things for them to do and have a giggle.

And I can hardly wait to carve our pumpkin! Last year we couldn't get hold of a pumpkin, so we carved a large watermelon instead and it looked awesome - all dark green and glowing pink inside! I liked it so much, I might do that again this year regardless - LOL! And I have some stickers to put up in the window that look like spiders and bats. I might also get some crime scene tape to put up as we have scaffolding around our house right now (the facade is being re-rendered), so that would look pretty cool!

Is anyone else doing anything for Halloween? Please don't tell me I'm the only one who goes a bit loopy at this time of the year!

I used to get crazy excited for all holidays when I was a kid, Kell, including Halloween, but not so much anymore.  Up until a couple of years ago my friends and I would always do those How to Host a Murder games, which I still think I would enjoy if we ever started doing them again.  We did them for 20 years and I'm not sure if they are even making new 'mysteries' anymore...

For some reason once I hit 40 I became a grumpy old woman, ha! 

We don't really celebrate Halloween in this country, though more and more it's getting Americanised in that some places do have a Halloween event. I don't like being scared (real life is scary enough for me), so it's not really an event I would enjoy if we celebrated it much in the Netherlands. But I have to say, I do really like seeing the costumes the Americans and British put on for trick-or-treating :D. I'd love to see a picture of you in your costume when it's all ready.

We don't really celebrate Halloween in this country, though more and more it's getting Americanised in that some places ...

Halloween never used to be a big thing in the UK, but in the last ten years or so it has really taken off. 

When I was a kid you used to get odd groups doing Trick or Treat, but now it is being heavily merchandised with everything from costumes and decorations through to sweets, party packs, cards and even music (wtf?!).

I think it is more a case of companies seeing a chance to make money than any specific desire from people in the UK wanting to celebrate it. 

It feels like it is fast becoming a chance to fill the empty marketing void between Mothers/Fathers day and Christmas.

It feels like it is fast becoming a chance to fill the empty marketing void between Mothers/Fathers day and Christmas.

I've just seen a Halloween advert from Aquafresh. 

Toothpaste companies are now making dedicated Halloween adverts.

This is the world we live in now . . .

I love Halloween but never end up doing much of anything for it. This year however, I am going to carve a pumpkin and put it in my bedroom window, because that window looks across at a bunch of student houses. But yeah, not getting dressed up or going to any parties. 

We both love Halloween in our house.  (I also love it because I know I can start looking forward to Xmas when it's over!!)  I have a box of decorations which I will be going through this week and getting ready to put them out.  Lots of candles and lights and "bloody" hand prints for the windows.  The best bit has to be the pumpkin though.  It's all messy and fun and spooky :)

We usually have a horror film night with popcorn and treats but this year I will be on my own as OH has to work.  Not sure I'm brave enough to do the horror films on my own so I think we'll have to nominate another night to do it instead.

I'm not sure if we will get any trick or treat-ers.  We didn't last year, but it was raining quite hard.  I do have treats in, just in case, but there aren't that many kids where we live.  I'm hoping for one or two though, especially if they have made an effort with the costumes!

We used to really go to town at Halloween dressing the front garden up, we had a talking butler, big spiders, cob webs hanging everywhere, all the windows done up and us dressed up of course.. 

The kids that came to the door loved it, mind you the butler used to scare them.

One of my good pals is in the Wilkinson's advert for their Halloween stuff.

The dark haired lass right at the start is my pal, Jenn, and the lad in front of her is one of her sons. They both appear repeatedly throughout the advert, along with her other son, who first shows up to show Grandpa the scar on his arm. ;) I was chuffed to ribbons when I saw them in it! She's always loved Halloween too. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else carved a lantern or got dressed up?

This is our pumpkin lantern this year:

post-3572-0-92859400-1446312870_thumb.jpg

And I'm all dressed up like The Corpse Bride to greet our Trick or Treaters:

post-3572-0-26221500-1446312831_thumb.jpgpost-3572-0-26868100-1446312839_thumb.jpgpost-3572-0-54753700-1446312849_thumb.jpg

My boys are all dressed up and are out trick or treating with Hubby:

post-3572-0-19665500-1446312922_thumb.jpg