Hello

Madeleine

Hi everyone, I joined yesterday and am currently finding my way around.

I like crime, thrillers, historical fiction and family sagas, with a bit of fantasy thrown in - the usual: LOTR, Game of Thrones, Dark Materials, Harry Potter.

I'm on a couple of other forums but they've been a bit quiet lately so I've been looking for another one and found this.

Madeleine

Welcome Madeleine.

You will have so much fun on here.  It's as addictive as reading itself.  Explore and post and see you new friends make you feel welcome.

Must dash as i have to select a new book to read from the many boxes of books.

Thanks everyone for all the greetings.

Vodkafan, my unread book piles are now into double figures!

I'm having fun looking at all the different sections and topics, there's a lot to read, and some interesting topics are covered.

I noticed you're reading Eagle of the Ninth, Madeleine - I nearly started reading that myself earlier this week, so I'd be interested to hear what you make of it :smile:

I'm enjoying it so far - I thought it took a while for the story to really get going - a lot about Marcus's background and then his way of life (I don't want to say more for fear of spoilers!) - but once he started to look properly for the Eagle then it got quite gripping.  I love his character and it's very well-written and vivid in the descriptions of the countryside and the villages etc.  Not too far off finishing it now.

Welcome, Madeleine. :smile:

I like a good detective story as well but can't take too much blood and violence and don't have the stomach for anything by Jo Nesbo or Roberto Bolano. I loved the Swedish Wallander series on tv but have never read any of Henning Mankell's books so am going to rectify that very soon. I think I shall start with the last book Mankell wrote, then maybe go back and start with the first novel. Are there any crime writers you particularly like?

Edited by eyeseebooks

Hello eyesee.  Oh too many writers to mention - I read my first Nesbo earlier this year and quite enjoyed it, although it was a bit gruesome!  I like Ann Cleeves's crime series set on the isle of Shetland, Elly Griffiths's series set in Norfolk - neither of these are very gory, and the Griffiths books have a nice sense of dry, slightly cynical, humour.  I also like historical crime, and cosy crime such as Agatha Raisin (for a bit of silliness), the US writers Janet Evanovich and Charlaine Harris (reading one of hers now).  I have the Stieg Larsson books to read but haven't got round to them yet!  Have you read those?

• 2 weeks later...

Madeline, the computer course is for basics in all e media. One of our projects is to join a forum, ask a question and show the class parts of the forum.

So, the question I am asking the forum is, what is your favourite book and why.....

Why did you join the forum?

I joined the forum as I'm already on a couple other book forums, but they've been a bit quiet lately, so I was looking for another one which was  a bit livelier - and found this one!

My favourite book is probably Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, not quite sure why but probably a mixture of the story (although I don't generally read romance that much), the setting and the Gothic-ness of it.  It was also I think the first classic novel that I actually enjoyed (the usual thing of having to read these books at school).

• 2 weeks later...