Diary books

If you mean what books have you read that take the form of a diary, then I've read a few...

The Adrian Mole series is my favourite - excellent social observation and satire. Sue Townsend is wonderful.

I think I Capture The Castle might be in the form of a diary/journal (can't quite remember). I enjoyed that one too.

There are probably more that I can't remember right now. :lol:

There's also, of course, the very famous Diary of Anne Frank (by Anne Frank, obviously), which is a real-life chronicle of her Jewish family in hiding during WWII.

I loved the Adrian Mole series..i may have to get some of these books as i do like the style they were written in and come to think of it i dont think ive ready any other books in the diary style.

/me adds Dracula to the "to get" pile

• 1 month later...

Don't even trip:smile2:! From second grade to around eighth grade, I snapped up every American Girls diary I could find at my school library. They are so pretty, and they started my love for historical fiction, as I'm sure many "diary" books do for people. My parents bought me some, and I empathized with my younger cousin when her sister's puppy chewed up the corner of one of hers. (It was the diary of a girl on the Titanic, I believe.)

I especially loved the Royal Diaries, where the author was a real princess like Elizabeth, Marie Antoinette, and Cleopatra. The stuff of book reports, for sure.

• 4 months later...
I loved the Adrian Mole series..i may have to get some of these books as i do like the style they were written in and come to think of it i dont think ive ready any other books in the diary style.

/me adds Dracula to the "to get" pile

following up to this i did indeed get Dracula and just finished it, for a book that i was expecting to love i have to say i really struggled and now wish i had just stopped as the ending was just an anti-climax!

Daddy Long Legs by Jean Webster.

The main portion of Anne of Windy Willows by LM Montgomery.

Black Maria and The Spellcoats by Diana Wynne Jones are kind of written in journal form.

The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot (lol--obviously).

I Capture the Castle is written in journal form--very effectively, IMO.

I have a book called These is My Words by Nancy Turner.

From Publisher's Weekly (courtesy of amazon):

Based on the real-life exploits of the author's great-grandmother, this fictionalized diary vividly details one woman's struggles with life and love in frontier Arizona at the end of the last century [1800s].

Fragmented and disjointed in its early chapters, with poor spelling and grammar, Sarah's journal gradually gains in clarity and eloquence as she matures. While this device may frustrate some readers at first, Taylor's deft progression produces the intended reward: she not only tells of her heroine's growth, but she shows it through Sarah's writing and insights. The result is a compelling portrait of an enduring love, the rough old West and a memorable pioneer.

A highly recommended read if you can get your hands on it.