Your Book Activity - October 2015

frankie

I met my friend for lunch and shopping in St Albans yesterday and as luck would have it there was a book fair in the town hall. Paperbacks were 50p each or three for £1, bargain!! My shelves need a little reorganisation today. :) :)

Wow, that's such a bargain! I hope you found some nice books :).

I just finished reading John Green - An Abundance of Katherines. It was very good!

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't think I 'get' John Green. Paper Towns is his second to leave me underwhelmed so probably time to acknowledge we aren't meant to be.

On the brighter side, now I've finished that I'm about a fifth of the way through Wild Swans by Jung Chang, which is harrowing, yet a thoroughly enjoyable read.

It should do, it's a great read!

Hope so! I shall read some more tonight and see if it 'clicks' with me.

I just don't think I 'get' John Green. Paper Towns is his second to leave me underwhelmed so probably time to acknowledge we aren't meant to be.

Yeah, I'm unsure about him as well. I loved Paper Towns but couldn't even finish The Fault In Our Stars. I have another one of his on my TBR pile, but if I don't get on with that, I may have it call it quits! :dunno:

Is this The Returned by Seth Patrick? I have this on my book shelf. Hope it's a good read. And it could be worse....you could have read no books! :D

No, by Jason Mott... I was fairly underwhelmed by it. And this is true! I'd like to get another book or two finished... might be time to pick up some I put on hold earlier this year!

I just finished reading John Green - An Abundance of Katherines. It was very good!

Glad you enjoyed it - it's the only John Green novel I have left to read.

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it, but it definitely sounds like you're just not gonna get on with him.

Yeah, I'm unsure about him as well. I loved Paper Towns but couldn't even finish The Fault In Our Stars. I have another one of his on my TBR pile, but if I don't get on with that, I may have it call it quits! :dunno:

I find that very interesting because Tfios is the more widely known/read/popular one of the two. Paper Towns is very much the underdog.

I finished Girl on the Train last night and am deciding on what to read next.  I'm very much in the mood for more suspenseful-type reading!  Hmmm...

I'm so glad you enjoyed The Goldfinch, Bobbly!!   :doowapstart: 

I finished Girl on the Train last night and am deciding on what to read next.  I'm very much in the mood for more suspenseful-type reading!  Hmmm...

I'm so glad you enjoyed The Goldfinch, Bobbly!!   :doowapstart: 

I'm glad as well, otherwise it would have been a real slog considering how big it is! :D

Hope you find a good suspenseful book for your next read. :boogie:

Can't multli quote on the phone but I much preferred Paper Towns. Although his teenagers don't feel very authentic to me - but then I have been out of my teen years a while now so who knows! - there was much more to get your teeth into.

I found TFIOS surprisingly superficial.

Sorry to all John Green fans! I really want to like him, because all the plots sound fabulous, but I just...can't. Gah :(

Glad you enjoyed it - it's the only John Green novel I have left to read.

I hope you enjoy it when you get to it :).

Sorry to all John Green fans! I really want to like him, because all the plots sound fabulous, but I just...can't. Gah :(

We are all entitled to our own opinions. I don't like you any less for saying you don't like his work :).

I'm thinking of reading one of my library loans next. But I still have lots of books to catalogue, first.

Can't multli quote on the phone but I much preferred Paper Towns. Although his teenagers don't feel very authentic to me - but then I have been out of my teen years a while now so who knows! - there was much more to get your teeth into.

I found TFIOS surprisingly superficial.

His teenagers are in no way authentic, they're just a variety of mouthpieces for John Green's various thoughts and opinions. He's not the greatest writer in the world, but I do love the way he thinks and the way he articulates his thoughts.

Don't be sorry, everyone likes different things!

On the brighter side, now I've finished that I'm about a fifth of the way through Wild Swans by Jung Chang, which is harrowing, yet a thoroughly enjoyable read.

LOVED this read, I cherish my kindle copy :P  I hope you enjoy it too, it shouldn't take you very long. 

Hope so! I shall read some more tonight and see if it 'clicks' with me.

Psssst- An Abundance of Katherines.  :giggle2:

Did you see the movie for The Fault in Our Stars?

Didn't quite make the 200 page mark yesterday, but have read about 50 pages this morning, and hoping to read a bit more this afternoon, but The Bone Clocks is definitely not a quick read!

How's that going, BTW?  I've been wondering :D

I finished Philippa Gregory's Cousins War Series :doowapstart: It was a 6 book series and I started it in July, so that tells you how good it was.  I am tempted to start her Taming of the Queen, about Kateryn Parr.

How's that going, BTW?  I've been wondering :D

It's alright, although I haven't really got a clue what's going on at the moment! :lol: It just seems to be taking ages to read, I've only read 150 pages in about 5 days.  I've bought the Kindle version as the hardback was just too cumbersome.  I'll be back to work tomorrow, so hoping the concentrated hour of my lunch break will help me move on a bit.

It's alright, although I haven't really got a clue what's going on at the moment! :lol: It just seems to be taking ages to read, I've only read 150 pages in about 5 days.  I've bought the Kindle version as the hardback was just too cumbersome.  I'll be back to work tomorrow, so hoping the concentrated hour of my lunch break will help me move on a bit.

Mercy- that is one serious book club :lol: I have been wanting to read The Bone Clocks for awhile.

Mercy- that is one serious book club :lol: I have been wanting to read The Bone Clocks for awhile.

I have to say it's quite unusual to pick such a big book, but we'd been getting stuck in a rut of female authors, and the group had suggested some male authors, David Mitchell being one of them, but we're limited by which books we can get due to the number available in the library system.  This being a popular book last year, there were plenty of copies purchased by the libraries for us to borrow.  I hadn't been able to get to a meeting for a few months, so I just got an email saying that there was a book reserved for me at the library, so it was a big shock to get there and find this doorstop of a book! :D

No, but I do intend to see it at some point. I think I might find the movie easier to watch, than it was to read the book (which I couldn't even finish :P ).

It's a very faithful adaptation, and it's harder to digest actual teenagers reciting John Green-isms than it is to read characters doing it - but I think it's a great movie with fantastic actors, so you should give it a watch :)

I'm reading another Helen Fitzgerald novel, The Devil's Staircase. Tearing through it - should have figured she was what I needed to reignite my mojo :giggle: It all seemed fairly tame for the first third and then it just took a turn for the typical Fitzgerald madness. Really enjoying it :)

I'm re-reading Monica Furlong - Doran 1: Heksenkind (Wise Child), a book I read when I was a teenager. I didn't know it was an English book until I borrowed the library copy and looked it up online. I don't remember much of the story but I remember the cover of the book (the Dutch cover is very pretty, and different from the English one). So far the story is nice but I've only read one chapter. I hope to read some more in it later today.

I'm finishing up the Discovery of Witches trilogy. Very engrossing series. I was sometimes exasperated by Harkness' ability to just drag out a passage and often times her descriptions were overly detailed, flowery and the vocabulary? Wow. It's obvious that she's a very intelligent woman but often times I had to wonder "who was she trying to impress?" But overall, I did love the series (started back in July). 

Next on the chopping block is Ulysses (James Joyce) and I'm finishing up with P.D. James, Death in Holy Orders.

Next on the chopping block is Ulysses (James Joyce)

I for one would be fascinated to read of what you make of it.  It's been on my TBR list for a long time now, but it never seems quite the right moment. 

Bought a few Kindle books this week - The Nine Tailors by Dorothy L. Sayers and Omens by Kelley Armstrong which were both on the daily deal over the last couple of days, and The Dead House by Dawn Kurtagich for the Hallowe'en Read-A-Thon.

Will have to take a bit of a diversion from the Hallowe'en reading at some point, as I haven't ready my A Tale of Two Cities pages for this week yet, so need to fit them in somewhere too, but planning a reading weekend as I haven't done enough in the last couple of weeks.

I finally finished reading The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters, hurraah! I've now started reading Mr. Monk and the New Lieutenant by Hy Conrad. I hope it will be just as good as the other Monk books I've read so far, I really need this book to be good!