Your Book Activity - October 2015

frankie

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was walking passed one of my bookshelves the other day and happened upon a tree copy of Jasper Fforde's The Eyre Affair and started reading,  It has been a such a long time since I spent time with Thursday Next, and I am delighted. I think a series read is afoot!  :D

Edited by Chrissy

The Goldfinch is on my TBR but I have no idea what it's about so I will be awaiting your review eagerly BB!

I'm halfway through South Riding and it's brilliant. Another great read I might have never have got around to were it not for the English Counties Challenge.

I finished Dust by Hugh Howey last night. Thought it was a bit empty and disappointing and I did skim through a lot of it.

I've started The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. High hopes for this one. :boogie: Has anyone else read it?

Oh dear. :D. I quite liked it......I've got a review somewhere around here.

I'm about almost a quarter into Ken Follett - The Pillars of the Earth 2: World Without End and I'm liking it so far :). After this though I plan to read some short(er) books :giggle2: (probably some children's horror books because it's October).

The Goldfinch is on my TBR but I have no idea what it's about so I will be awaiting your review eagerly BB!

I'm halfway through South Riding and it's brilliant. Another great read I might have never have got around to were it not for the English Counties Challenge.

I went into The Goldfinch without knowing what it's about, and I'm liking it so far, though the author loves to use 5 sentences where 1 will do. I don't recall The Secret History being like that. It's not necessarily a bad thing (yet :D ), it just makes it more drawn out.

I think I will make South Riding my next read, unless I feel like a shorter book in between.

Oh dear. :D. I quite liked it......I've got a review somewhere around here.

Oh no, I'm doomed! :giggle:  I shall trawl your thread for a review.

I'm about almost a quarter into Ken Follett - The Pillars of the Earth 2: World Without End and I'm liking it so far :). After this though I plan to read some short(er) books :giggle2: (probably some children's horror books because it's October).

I was a bit disappointed by World Without End. I can't remember much about it though, except that there was a female character who was constantly described as looking like a duck. :giggle:

Today I finished Library of Souls, the third and final book in the Miss Peregrine series by Ransom Riggs. The first half of the book was a little slow but I thoroughly enjoyed the second half. It all came together very well at the end. I wonder what he will write next... :)

I also read Paris for One by Jojo Moyes, one of the Quickreads books, only 90 ish pages but will help my Goodreads book challenge which was slowly getting away from me! ;):D

Starting today Dracula by Bram Stoker for Halloween, fifteen days late. I didn't write a review for the last book read, because I failed to take notes on each short story and therefore I don't have much to say about it; I don't want to repeat the overwritten and mixed confusion of my last review.

I also read Paris for One by Jojo Moyes, one of the Quickreads books, only 90 ish pages but will help my Goodreads book challenge which was slowly getting away from me! ;):D

I like your style!  :giggle:

I've finished disc three of The Pursuit of Love today.  It's brilliant - it's making me laugh out loud (I'm sure the excellent narrator, Emilia Fox, is helping).  I want to get in the car and drive for five hours straight just so I can finish it!  :giggle2:

I finished Robin Hobb's Golden Fool yesterday and I think this will be the best series I've ever read. 

The local library doesn't have very many of Hobb's books, so I had to start with this trilogy instead of with her first. Also, what I'm reading is a translation. But I guess that if a translation is this good the original has to be absolutely wonderful, and I really look forward to reading the rest of Hobb's books.  :D

I was a bit disappointed by World Without End. I can't remember much about it though, except that there was a female character who was constantly described as looking like a duck. :giggle:

I know which character you refer to :giggle2:. I have to say so far I'm not enjoying the book as much as I enjoyed Pillars (the first book). But I'm "only" about 30% into it, around 400 pages out of 1200+ :P. It takes an age to read though, I spent quite a few hours reading yesterday and I only progressed ~8% in the book :doh: (100 pages). But some parts are quite enjoyable. 

Today I finished Library of Souls, the third and final book in the Miss Peregrine series by Ransom Riggs. The first half of the book was a little slow but I thoroughly enjoyed the second half. It all came together very well at the end. I wonder what he will write next... :)

I didn't know that was the final book, that's good to know! I'm glad you liked it.

Haha, yes they are good for that :P. What did you think of it? It probably wasn't brilliant but I look forward to reading it nonetheless.

I finished Robin Hobb's Golden Fool yesterday and I think this will be the best series I've ever read. 

The local library doesn't have very many of Hobb's books, so I had to start with this trilogy instead of with her first. Also, what I'm reading is a translation. But I guess that if a translation is this good the original has to be absolutely wonderful, and I really look forward to reading the rest of Hobb's books. [/size] :D

Where are you from? I'm glad you enjoyed it! My sister is currently reading the Dutch version of this book (we're from the Netherlands), she likes it so far. I have the English version but I want to read Hobb's earlier books first (which I own too) but I haven't started on them yet. I'm glad you are liking her books.

Read a huge chunk of Far From The Madding Crowd this afternoon, and should hopefully finish it tomorrow.  Chapters this afternoon have comprised of perceptively evocative descriptions of a storm and the raw emotion of the realisation of the truth of the past of a character.  Fantastic.

:P

I know which character you refer to :giggle2:. I have to say so far I'm not enjoying the book as much as I enjoyed Pillars (the first book). But I'm "only" about 30% into it, around 400 pages out of 1200+ :P. It takes an age to read though, I spent quite a few hours reading yesterday and I only progressed ~8% in the book :doh: (100 pages). But some parts are quite enjoyable. 

That's one of the things that put me off on it- I would :readingtwo:  :readingtwo:  :readingtwo: and find out I'd only accomplished like, 5%  :o

Just about a quarter of The White Princess to finish... it reads so easily, no wonder why I've heard Gregory's books described as candy :smile:

I've started The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. High hopes for this one. :boogie: Has anyone else read it?

I loved this book so much, Bobbly.  It was one of my favorite reads from last year.  Something about that little painting really stuck with me and I fell in love with the whole thing! :D :D

I've hit a snag with Girl on the Train and I'm afraid I'm going to have to start over.  I've been so busy this week house/dog sitting among other things going on every night that I haven't read at all and now I don't know if I'll remember the story if I just pick it up where I left off!  Luckily I wasn't that far into it in the first place...