Your Book Activity - October 2015

frankie

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As it's Books Are My Bag week, treated myself to a visit to my local indie bookshop, and bought Monsters by Emerald Fennell.  I loved her first book, and the cover of this one was just too tempting to resist! 

Synopsis (from hive.co.uk):

A blackly comic tale about two children you would never want to meet.

Set in the Cornish town of Fowey, all is not as idyllic as the beautiful seaside town might seem.

The body of a young woman is discovered in the nets of a fishing boat.

It is established that the woman was murdered. Most are shocked and horrified. But there is somebody who is not - a twelve-year-old girl.

She is delighted; she loves murders. Soon she is questioning the inhabitants of the town in her own personal investigation.

But it is a bit boring on her own. Then Miles Giffard, a similarly odd twelve-year-old boy, arrives in Fowey with his mother, and they start investigating together.

Oh, and also playing games that re-enact the murders.

Just for fun, you understand...A book about two twelve-year-olds that is definitely not for kids.

I've just realised that my offer to help isn't going to work at all if your Kindle version is all in one go!  :doh:   

If it's any help, I read this version on Kindle and it tells me how long I have left in each chapter...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Far-Madding-Crowd-Thomas-Hardy-ebook/dp/B0084B0DOK/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1444342090&sr=1-1&keywords=far+from+the+madding+crowd

:)

That's the one I've got, Janet, but it definitely doesn't show me reading time left in chapters, and doesn't have a table of contents that I can refer to for page numbers :(  Perhaps it depends on the model of Kindle you have :dunno:  I'm going to splash out the £1.89 Penguin Classic edition.  I've read another chapter today, but got disturbed so had to put it aside, but intend to read some more over the weekend, but I'm enjoying it a lot so far. :)

The Girl With All The Gifts is one I've heard mention of a few times, but I still know nothing about it. Should probably look it up :roll:

I'm still trudging through my two reads, enjoying them, but finding it hard to focus for more than a few pages.

Aw- maybe because of your sickness?

You should check it out, its not a hard or easy read, just in the middle.  Not really complicated just... different :)

Aw- maybe because of your sickness?

You should check it out, its not a hard or easy read, just in the middle.  Not really complicated just... different :)

Yeah maybe, I'm down to just a cough now but all I wanna do is watch tv, not read :lol:

Now I'm really intrigued! :)

I'm really getting into Far From The Madding Crowd now, and I'm loving it!  Why did I listen for so long to those people who told me Hardy was miserable and not to bother??? :D

Bought The Crocodile Tomb by Michelle Paver today.  It's the fourth book in the God and Warriors series, that both OH and I are reading, although I've still got books two and three to read too!  Only when I got home did I realise that the other two books are in storage boxes somewhere in the house :doh:

Started reading Go Set a Watchman yesterday; it is a bit of a struggle to read so far, I just can't get into it.  :mellow:

I'm also approx. half way through Chris Riddell's  Goth Girl and the Wuthering Fright and this is so good!!   Both the story, and especially the illustrations  :D . A sheer joy to read

Edited by Marie H

Started reading Go Set a Watchman yesterday; it is a bit of a struggle to read so far, I just can't get into it.  :mellow:

I'm also approx. half way through Chris Riddell's  Goth Girl and the Wuthering Fright and this is so good!!   Both the story, and especially the illustrations  :D . A sheer joy to read

:exc: I was just thinking of you the other day!  Hope all is good, Marie!  :006:

I finished The Girl With All the Gifts last night, stayed up late to finish.  There was an interesting bit with the author (MR Carey) at the end which was interesting to learn it started out as a short story about a girl interested in Greek mythology.

Started Holly Black's The Coldest Girl in Coldtown last night after TGWAtG.

Having finished and loved The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel, I'm going on to the next in the series, The Valley of Horses

Still reading in-between Havana Nocturne, and have picked up William Manchester's The Glory and The Dream:  A Narrative History of America 1932-1972

I am 138 pages into Holly Black's The Coldest Girl in Coldtown and am let down by it... perhaps I didn't know it was YA and am not in the mood for YA.

It didn't impress me either, not because it was YA, but because I just didn't like it very much! :)

Currently about half way through Library of Souls by Ransom Riggs, found the first half a bit slow but it's picking up now. :)

It didn't impress me either, not because it was YA, but because I just didn't like it very much! :)

At least I'm not the only one!  I don't think its because its YA either, I just can't take it seriously.  Still, mildly interested in where its going to go, so I will keep on with it.  I hope it picks up a bit?

I finished Etta and Otto and Russell and James last night and found the last 40 or so pages lacking. It left me with so many questions! :unsure: And I don't know if it's just me, or was it supposed to be like that. 

Going to bed soon, need to start another novel.... Wohoo! 

I've been away on holiday and in the meantime I've read:

Peter F. Hamilton - Manhattan in Reverse (varying quality of stories, some good some less good)

Shawn Inmon - Second Chance Love 5: Second Chance Wedding (allright but confusing, I didn't realise until I had written the review that I didn't read nor owned book 4 :doh:)

Susan Hatler - Treatured Dreams 2: An Unexpected Kiss (this was nice)

Brandon Sanderson - Firstborn (this was nice)

Susan Hatler - Kissed by the Bay 1: Every Little Kiss (this was good)

R. J. Palacio - Wonder 1.6: Pluto (this was good)

R. J. Palacio - Wonder 1.7: Shingeling (this was good)

Holly Smale - Geek Girl 2.5: Geek Drama (this was nice)

Brandon Sanderson - Perfect State (this was good)

Brandon Sanderson - Cosmere: Sixth of the Dusk (this was nice)

Brandon Sanderson - Cosmere: Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell (this was good)

Ken Follett - The Pillars of the Earth 1: The Pillars of the Earth (this was excellent)

And I'm just started Ken Follett - The Pillars of the Earth 2: World Without End yesterday.

I also bought some books on my holiday, list to follow (as well as the book reviews). I've got a lot of forum posts to catch up on, so it might take a few days, but I look forward to read what you've all been up to :).