Your Book Activity - October 2015

frankie

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

September was my worst reading month so far this year, only 7 books. Granted, I've been sick and on holiday, plus a few other things have been happening, so I guess I have an excuse? But I'm now only 3 books from 100 so that should give my mojo some motivation again.

I'm 200 pages into Trust Your Eyes by Linwood Barclay.  It's the first of his that I've read.

Haven't read that one myself yet, but I have it reserved from the library. Looking forward to hearing how you liked your first Barclay :) 

But I'm now only 3 books from 100 so that should give my mojo some motivation again.

:exc: Wow, Noll, that's awesome!

Happy October everyone...  :witch:

I am kicking it off with Stephen King's Revival, which is already creepy. 

Finished The Eye in the Door at a bit of gallop this morning.  Regeneration was excellent, and this maintained the standard, even if more obviously a transitionary link (as so often with middle volumes of series).  Will be going straight into The Ghost Road.  Off this afternoon to my first session of a dozen or so over the next two weeks at the Ilkley Literature Festival..

I finished 'After You' by Jojo Moyes this morning, a good return to form after her disappointing (for me anyway) 'The One Plus One'. Tonight I will start 'A Library of Souls' by Ransom Riggs, and hopefully finish it by next weekend as my Mum is visiting and will want to borrow it. :)

Well I was going straight onto The Ghost Road, but got diverted on to Simon Armitage's translation of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.  A fairly quick read, but no less powerful and poetic for that.  A scintillating, intense piece that worked on all levels for me.

Edited by willoyd

I'm still reading The Giraffe's Neck by Judith Schalansky, but I'm not getting the humour despite the quote on the front that says "Remarkable is too small a word.  It is very funny, desperately sad and real, and ultimately shocking".  If I'm honest, I'm finding it a bit of a drudge at the moment, but it's only just over 200 pages, and I'm already 120 in, so I think I'll see it through to the end.

Read the first three chapters of The King Must Die by Mary Renault this morning.  I had started Temeraire by Naomi Novik yesterday, and read about 150 pages of it, but it was a bit too YA for me.  This one, though, is hypnotic so far.

I finished Jeff Lindsay's Darkly Dreaming Dexter and have gone back to reading Library of Souls by Ransom Riggs.

I also received a new book in the mail: A Suspension of Mercy by Patricia Highsmith.

I'm reading Dumplin' by Julie Murphy. Read about 80 pages last night, so hopefully my mojo is getting back into gear.

Also reading The Peculiar Life of a Lonely Postman by Denis... something. French guy. It's good, but very arty, and wasn't what I was looking for. However, I'm halfway through it, so I will finish it just to see what happens!

I finished Jeff Lindsay's Darkly Dreaming Dexter and have gone back to reading Library of Souls by Ransom Riggs.

How was it? :smile2: 

I had to give up Dear Mr. M by Herman Koch because of the due date.. :unsure: Started reading The Rumor by Elin Hilderbrand. 

Currently reading:

Revival - Stephen King

I am reading this now.... :sleeping-smiley-009 so far.

Currently reading:

Station Eleven - Emily St John Mandel

I really want to read this, but other books keep getting in the way!  I've been waiting awhile now.

Glad you are enjoying them!  You manage so many books at the same time!  I can only do a variety of genres.

I've got about 20 pages left in The Giraffe's Neck so hoping to finish tonight, even though I haven't really grasped what it's meant to be about, if I'm honest, and I haven't really enjoyed it!

Currently reading:

Revival - Stephen King
Rivers of London - Ben Aaronovitch
Unseen Academicals - Terry Pratchett
Station Eleven - Emily St John Mandel

All are fairly good but Rivers of London is the one that keeps drawing me back the most.

I read the fifth book of the Rivers of London series last weekend … I think they get better as the series goes on, so I envy you having the other books ahead of you! :D