Strictly Come Dancing

poppyshake

I LOVE MOVIES WEEK!!!!!

Here's my take on this week's dances...

Carol & Pasha - Quickstep - Very dull, to be honest. I'll be honest, I don't like her much anyway (I find her very annoying), and her dancing is very much below par. I thought she was very lucky to not be in the bottom two (I think her popularity is keeping her in, rather than her dancing skills, because she has none of those!).

Anthony & Oti - Paso Doble - I was expecting him to be out this week and I was right. His lack of movement in the right arm was becoming more and more obvious, and it was hampering what little skill he had (which wasn't great to begin with, to be honest). I really think that he should have stepped out of the competition before it even started and let someone else have the spot, because with a shoulder injury like that, you're not going to be able to do the moves required of you. It was right that he go early on.

Katie & Anton - Cha-Cha-Cha - This one was very disappointing, and as Anton rightly said, the lack of content was entirely on him, but she didn't dance this one particularly well either. I'm hoping for better next week.

Kellie & Kevin - Charleston - I absolutely LOVED this one! The Cantina music was so perfectly suited to the Charleston and they danced it so well - they are so well suited to one another, which was evident in how well they moved together with such great timing. First good dance of the evening! Energetic and spirited. I fully expect to see Kellie in the final.

Ainsley & Natalie - Cha-Cha-Cha - I REALLY didn't like this one - I think it was largely ruined by the penguin concept, which was a shame. I like Aisnley, and I think he'll stay in for quite a while due to popularity, but once it gets down to the better dancers, he won't stand a chance. Right now it's his personality that's keeping him in there, rather than his dance skill. He actually has really good rhythm, so I hope he'll start stepping up the moves and let that be the focus, rather than his massive personality.

Georgia & Giovanni - Rumba - I really like how these two move together, but they didn't actually do much in the way of a rhumba. And I wish Giovanni would stop shaking his head when the judges speak - I find it rather disrespectful. There were some VERY slick moves and it was skillfully done, but I wish Giovanni had shaved - Bond is a smooth, clean-shaven character!

Helen & Aljaž - Foxtrot - I loved this one. Helen is another contender for the final, in my opinion, and I thought she pretty much embodied Marilyn perfectly. This was a wonderful dance to watch - she was rather breathtaking!

Daniel & Kristina - Cha-Cha-Cha - I felt really quite uncomfortable watching this - the cahracter was all wrong for him and he came across as rather sleazy and slimy, which is a shame, because his footwork is pretty good. I hope they don't give him this kind of character again in future! He does have to step things up a bit though, as one of the judges rightly said, he's a bit samey... And it looked like Kristina almost broke her ankle doing the splits - very ungainly getting back up from that, but she soldiered on with what must have been quite a painful injury!

Kirsty & Brendan - American Smooth - This one was kind of middling for me. There were some nice lifts (despite the slight wardrobe malfunction), but she's a little unsteady on her feet at times and that's really going to show up when it comes time to do things like the Argentinian Tango, if she makes it that far...

Peter & Janette - Paso Doble - This one was a little disappointing for me. I think because he had such a strong start with the first two weeks, I was expecting more this week too. The character wasn't really right for a Paso Doble, as Cptn Jack Sparrow is a laid back kind of guy (ie so drunk he's practically horizontal). His shapes weren't quite strong enough either, but part of that could have been costuming - you really need clear lines for this dance. It was still very good, but not as good as I had expected. He's still my third pick for the final.

Jamelia & Tristan - Salsa - Is it just me, or does Jamelia have absolutely no flexibility in her mid-section? She can't seem to move her hips, twist her waist, or bend backwards even a little, making her moves very stiff. I don't enjoy watching her dance, as she seems kind of heavy-footed and clunky a lot of the time too, which has surprised me a great deal. I had kind of assumed that, as a singer, she would have some kind of dance ability. I was wrong. She's also very inelegant when getting up from the floor - I just don't like her moves at all!

Jeremy & Karen - Charleston - I was expecting another slightly embarrassing performance here, but he surprised me and actually came across very well! The dance was well choreographed and he did the moves rather well. I'm not a fan of his, but I found myself cheering for him come the end, as I was so pleased he'd found his dance! The Charleston can be a difficult dance for a man, as it's hard to look good when the characters are usually so cheeky and silly (girls can at least look cute, but guys can easily look foolish and out of place), but he pretty much nailed it!

Anita & Gleb - American Smooth - This one was so beautiful to watch! Some really bold moves that were executed with smooth style and panache. I don't think she'll get to the final, but she could well be in the semi final! The only bit I didn't like was the bit where he crawled over her - that looked rather naff and just not in fitting with the rest of the dance.

Jay & Aliona - Jive - BRAVO! I almost gave him a standing ovation right here in my living room! He absolutely SMASHED it! So energetic and daring and just plain brilliant. He's my fourth tip for the final, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him win it. In fact, I'd LOVE to see him win it!

DANCE OFF:

It was only fair that Anthony be the one to go. Although both he and Ainsley improved for the dance off, that shoulder injury was his biggest weakness and was always going to hold him back. Of the two dance-off performances, Aisnley's was the greatest improved, so I was glad he was the one who stayed.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You two are aware that NaNoWriMo is next month, eh?  :giggle2:  :D

Kellie and Kevin were very good but it was all a bit manic for me. 

That dance has forever ruined Star Wars for me  :(   Oh, wait - George Lucas had already ruined it :banghead:   Carry on  :D

I have a question maybe Claire can answer - how come Kevin's sister isn't competing this year?  I noticed her around and about when Claudia's been doing her post-dance interviews a couple of times.  Seems odd that she's been there but not really involved :unsure:

I have a question maybe Claire can answer - how come Kevin's sister isn't competing this year?  I noticed her around and about when Claudia's been doing her post-dance interviews a couple of times.  Seems odd that she's been there but not really involved :unsure:

She's still used in the pro dances and is supposed to be playing a key role in their ITT coverage but I haven't seen her much yet. Perhaps she'll feature more in the coming weeks. The rumour mill has it that a couple of male celebs pulled out as they couldn't commit to the schedule and that Joanne lost her partner in the process .. but I don't know how true that is. I think they must have been struggling for males though or why would they have let Anthony continue when his injury clearly wasn't improving? Also, the fact that they feature her on her own in the title sequence makes me think that she was promised another year of partnering but that's just guesswork. She's the elephant in the room at the moment :D 

I must say I felt sorry for her  last week up in the Clauditorium .. she did look a bit lost and wardrobe had given her the most hideous dress to wear just to make things worse. I would have liked to see her partnering again as it was almost impossible to judge her choreo given that Scott Mills was her partner  :hide: 

Hope we get to see Oti partnering again next year. Not sure yet about the two new boys.

Anthony seems to have given one or two unwise exit interviews  :blush2: Hope he has been misquoted. Bit annoyed to have given him one of my free votes if not (which I gave to Oti really so ...) I can understand the disappointment but just go home and kick your pillow around a bit. Draw a pic of Craig/Len/Bruno's head on it .. if it helps  :blush2: 

Edit: Anthony's just tweeted to say his words were 'misinterpreted'. Glad to hear it.

Edited by poppyshake

You two are aware that NaNoWriMo is next month, eh?  :giggle2:  :D

:giggle: If only I could just sit down and write my book reviews as easily .. wouldn't be half as behind as I am  :blush2: 

That dance has forever ruined Star Wars for me  :(   Oh, wait - George Lucas had already ruined it :banghead:   Carry on  :D

Haha :D .. no harm done. I'm expecting a Jurassic Park theme one day. Some poor female celeb, dressed as Dr. Ellie Sattler .. with a severed arm taped to her shoulder .. being chased around by Brendan in a T.Rex outfit. 

Actually, please make that happen :D  

She's still used in the pro dances and is supposed to be playing a key role in their ITT coverage but I haven't seen her much yet. Perhaps she'll feature more in the coming weeks. The rumour mill has it that a couple of male celebs pulled out as they couldn't commit to the schedule and that Joanne lost her partner in the process .. but I don't know how true that is. I think they must have been struggling for males though or why would they have let Anthony continue when his injury clearly wasn't improving? Also, the fact that they feature her on her own in the title sequence makes me think that she was promised another year of partnering but that's just guesswork. She's the elephant in the room at the moment :D 

I'm not sure they were struggling for male celebrities to be honest, as they have 8 men and 7 women. Officially, Joanne is one of the professional dancers and will take part in group dances and special programmes such as the Children In Need and Christmas Specials, and like you said, will have a role in It Takes Two, presumably when the number of couples starts diminishing and they need more filler. Because the professionals are signed up in advance of the series, and then the celebrities are confirmed later, it gives them flexibility to have either 8 men/7 women or 7 men/8 women, depending on who eventually signs on the dotted line.

Anthony seems to have given one or two unwise exit interviews  :blush2: Hope he has been misquoted. Bit annoyed to have given him one of my free votes if not (which I gave to Oti really so ...) I can understand the disappointment but just go home and kick your pillow around a bit. Draw a pic of Craig/Len/Bruno's head on it .. if it helps  :blush2: 

He's been saying on Twitter that he's been misquoted … I don't know what was in the press, but these were two tweets from this morning:

Had amazing experience on Strictly.Shame my words have been misinterpreted by some of the media but can’t thank everyone at the BBC enough. 

Everyone has been so good to me. All of the contestants, the producers, the back room staff and entire team were amazing. Thank you all.

Shame, I would've liked to see Joanne competing again.  Re Ogogo, I never quite understood the point of him taking part when he couldn't move his arm :shrug:

Anyway, thanks to Claire's site I spent most of this afternoon watching Flackers' dances again.  I was supposed to be working but, you know, Flackers! :wub:  :D

Haha :D .. no harm done. I'm expecting a Jurassic Park theme one day. Some poor female celeb, dressed as Dr. Ellie Sattler .. with a severed arm taped to her shoulder .. being chased around by Brendan in a T.Rex outfit. 

Actually, please make that happen :D  

I would pay to see that :lol:

Shame, I would've liked to see Joanne competing again.  Re Ogogo, I never quite understood the point of him taking part when he couldn't move his arm :shrug:

Anyway, thanks to Claire's site I spent most of this afternoon watching Flackers' dances again.  I was supposed to be working but, you know, Flackers! :wub:  :D

Me too (both about Joanne and Flackers :D) I watched all of Caroline's dances over the weekend. I watched some of Nimble Kimble's too :D And then Jay again!!! :wub: 

Seems madness for Anthony to have entered the comp .. not good for his shoulder and a real disappointment for Oti.

I'm not sure they were struggling for male celebrities to be honest, as they have 8 men and 7 women. Officially, Joanne is one of the professional dancers and will take part in group dances and special programmes such as the Children In Need and Christmas Specials, and like you said, will have a role in It Takes Two, presumably when the number of couples starts diminishing and they need more filler. Because the professionals are signed up in advance of the series, and then the celebrities are confirmed later, it gives them flexibility to have either 8 men/7 women or 7 men/8 women, depending on who eventually signs on the dotted line.

I'm gullible .. I believe everything I read :D

He's been saying on Twitter that he's been misquoted … I don't know what was in the press, but these were two tweets from this morning:

Had amazing experience on Strictly.Shame my words have been misinterpreted by some of the media but can’t thank everyone at the BBC enough. 

Everyone has been so good to me. All of the contestants, the producers, the back room staff and entire team were amazing. Thank you all.

Yes .. I saw a tweet from him earlier. Very happy to hear it but mad with the tabloids. Why must they stir it up so? .. I think Jay is in for a bit of a rough ride from them :(

Carol & Pasha - a not very quick quickstep, and instantly forgettable other than Pasha in uniform :wub:
Anthony & Oti - it was never going to be great with a shoulder injury that forced a one-armed paso, and using a song with no Spanish feel is never going to help with the mood. Too much theme, not enough dance for me, but you can see he was trying.
Katie & Anton - so little actual dancing, I'm surprised they actually scored as high as they did. Hopefully, it'll give Anton the kick up the bum he needs to choreograph better to her ability - he's done it before with Patsy Palmer back in series 3.  I know it was 10 years ago, but still …
Kellie & Kevin - I hate the Charleston.  She dances really well, and they are so in sync, it's brilliant to watch, but I still hate the Charleston. :irked:
Ainsley & Natalie - Nat's doing her best, and someone who can actually dance said that she actually changed her timing at one point when Ainsley started to dance on the 1, when he should have been dancing on the 2, but it wasn't great.  With a bottom two place this week, doesn't look like he's getting the votes either, so not sure how much longer he'll be around.
Georgia & Giovanni - I'm sounding more and more like Len, but very little recognisable rumba, and it was too stop and start - the rumba should be a continuous movement and you should never be still, with seamless transitions between steps, but she does continue to show promise, and I think she'll improve as the weeks go on if she stays in.
Helen & Aljaž - loved it.  Not perfect technically, but a lovely routine from Aljaž and it was beautiful to watch.
Daniel & Kristina - wella, wella, wella, urgh.  (Sorry, couldn't resist).  He went out of time a little bit, and his footwork is ok, but on the cha cha cha step, his front foot was toe then heel correctly, but his trailing foot (sorry don't know the technical term) was flat and often just shuffled rather than stepped. But, I agree that the character didn't suit him.  Better luck next week!
Kirsty & Brendan - it started off well, but it was a wardrobe disaster waiting to happen.  On the positive side, she looked like she was enjoying it much more this week.  She's got the paso this week - could be tricky.
Peter & Janette - When I first saw it, I hated it. His posture was wrong and had little shaping, and 
it spoilt it for me.  I've watched it again, and just watch Janette, and I think the choreography was great, so it's not the routine, it's definitely just his shaping that spoilt it for me.
Jamelia & Tristan - better than her previous dances, and I'll always remember it for Tristan literally dragging her by her hair, but I think she thought she'd be better than she is, and she's finding it difficult.  I think she could get there, but will take a while yet, and don't know if the voters will be that forgiving.
Jeremy & Karen - I'm so sorry that I'm so picky, but his arms put me off.  He never quite matched what Karen was doing with his arms, just holding off straightening them properly.  But his timing is good and he's definitely performing to the audience, so good for him.
Anita & Gleb - *grumpy Len mode* WHERE WAS THE FOXTROT IN THIS AMERICAN SMOOTH???? It should be 40% in hold - I counted 10 seconds out of a 100 second routine.  Not happy.  She has so much promise and is one of my favourites, but incredibly disappointed by this dance.
Jay & Aliona - Brilliant.  I find it difficult to compare a theme week dance to a regular dance, but the sections that mirrored Pulp Fiction did exactly that, and the jive sections were fantastic.  If he danced a whole routine as a jive, I think it would definitely be up there with The Halfpenny and be worth of four 10s.  Can't wait to see what they do next!

She may be back next year - I think that's why they're keeping her on for ITT and the specials this year, to give them options for next year.

Don't blame me!!! Although I can't say I blame you either … Flackers and Pasha, something for everyone. :yes: Glad to hear you use the site though :smile2:

I'm gullible .. I believe everything I read :D

Not at all … it might be true, I don't have any more insider knowledge than you, but it just doesn't sound right to me, but I guess we'll probably never know.

Yes .. I saw a tweet from him earlier. Very happy to hear it but mad with the tabloids. Why must they stir it up so? .. I think Jay is in for a bit of a rough ride from them :(

I don't read the papers, and only visit either the news pages or book pages of a couple of news websites, so I rarely see the celeb news, but they just want to sell papers any way they can. Hope Jay can escape the worst of it.

Don't blame me!!! Although I can't say I blame you either … Flackers and Pasha, something for everyone. :yes: Glad to hear you use the site though :smile2:

It's a great site :smile:   And you're totally to blame. When my boss demands to know what I've been doing I say 'It's all Claire's fault!' :giggle2:

I love the Charleston.  :wub:  Such fun.  :)

I'm glad Anthony went last night. 

Although from a lack of personality point of view I'd have preferred Ainsley to go, I will concede that he was the better dancer.  I hope he doesn't stick around for too much longer though. 

Jeremy isn't as irritating as I thought he'd be - he's so smug on R2 that I usually end up switching off, which is a shame as I like the premise of his show.   He's not coming across as too smug on SCD which is a surprise.   :o

Jay, Peter and Helen are definitely my favourites. 

Not at all … it might be true, I don't have any more insider knowledge than you, but it just doesn't sound right to me, but I guess we'll probably never know.

I'm inclined to believe you Claire .. seeing as you're far more sensible than the people that were dishing out the info  :D

I don't read the papers, and only visit either the news pages or book pages of a couple of news websites, so I rarely see the celeb news, but they just want to sell papers any way they can. Hope Jay can escape the worst of it.

I don't buy newspapers either but it was splashed over the front pages this morning .. something about Anthony saying the BBC were fixing it .. alongside a pic of Jay! :rolleyes: Jay's jive caused a bit of a stir and he's looking like a front runner at the moment so obviously the media want to put a spanner in the works :censored: 

Karen Hardy thinks Jay's jive was better than Jill's! .... ooh!! :D Not sure Darren Bennett will ever talk to her again!  :D 

Hope they get a nice tall ringer for Nat next year. Do you think Tom Hiddlestone would do it? :D :D :D 

I love the Charleston.  :wub:  Such fun.  :)

I'm glad Anthony went last night. 

Although from a lack of personality point of view I'd have preferred Ainsley to go, I will concede that he was the better dancer.  I hope he doesn't stick around for too much longer though. 

Jeremy isn't as irritating as I thought he'd be - he's so smug on R2 that I usually end up switching off, which is a shame as I like the premise of his show.   He's not coming across as too smug on SCD which is a surprise.   :o

Jay, Peter and Helen are definitely my favourites. 

:D Alan doesn't normally like Jeremy either but he too is thawing :D I hate his R2 programme but believe I always would .. no matter who chaired it. I can't stand debates/phone-ins. 

Jeremy went and stood in the standby queue for Kate Bush last year .. got a ticket .. and sang/cheered himself hoarse. He could hardly speak the next day .. so I thawed out a bit towards him then :blush2:  

I watched it last night and thought the Star Wars dance was brilliant, a light-sabre will never be the same again!   I like the Charleston as it's cheeky and funny, but they incorporated the SW theme so well into the routine.  I agree that Anthony shouldn't have been in the competition in the first place, he could barely move that arm this week, and it wasn't really fair on his partner.  I also wonder sometimes what the wardrobe department are thinking when they do these sort of costumes, they're brilliant but I think quite a few of them were hampered by them, Peter seemed to be weighed down by his and then there was of course Kirsty's tail malfunction... but it was a fun show and I think the standard is much higher this year, even the weaker dancers aren't as bad as the Ann Widdicombes etc.  Although I think Carol should be the next to go, nice as she is.

Jeremy went and stood in the standby queue for Kate Bush last year .. got a ticket .. and sang/cheered himself hoarse. He could hardly speak the next day .. so I thawed out a bit towards him then :blush2:  

That's a bit like me saying I like Jack Black because he's a Rush fan :lol:

He is, and I still can't stand him  :banghead:  :giggle2:

That's a bit like me saying I like Jack Black because he's a Rush fan :lol:

He is, and I still can't stand him  :banghead:  :giggle2:

Yes .. but I'm more shallow than you!  :D 

It's not so much that he's a Kate fan but that he put some effort into it. I'm imagining he could have pulled some strings ... Geri Halliwell had hospitality tickets after all (and no .. it hasn't made me like her more .. I think it's widened the breach  :D

Yes .. but I'm more shallow than you!  :D

I'm pretty certain that's not true  :D 

It's not so much that he's a Kate fan but that he put some effort into it.

Hmm.  Jack Black turned up at the Rush end-of-tour party in LA.  I just hate him even more for it   :banghead:  :giggle2:

post-6588-0-11376300-1444742750_thumb.jpg

well I thought there were people who upped their game on Saturday and some that just looked like the amateurs they are but it was only week three.

I was keeping my fingers crossed for Anton and Katie what was he thinking not doing many dance moves for katie, is it because he is so used to not having anyone that can do the dancing

Len got into a tizz with Georgia and Giovanni about there not being much Rumba in their dance, I thought I was very good anyway

I love watching Anita and Gleb as she dances so good and

wow Jay is something else dancing with Aliona.  I thought his dance moves where better than someone who had just started out.  Not heard if he is a total beginner or not to be honest.

:D Alan doesn't normally like Jeremy either but he too is thawing :D I hate his R2 programme but believe I always would .. no matter who chaired it. I can't stand debates/phone-ins. 

Fair play to him, although you wouldn't want to have been sat behind him … he's far too tall!!! Hope he was made to sit at the back. :yes:

Not wishing to take anything away from Jays jive (watched it a dozen times!) I can't help having a sneaking suspicion he's had some sort of formal dance training in the past.

Did you notice how he 'spotted' his spins? Not something that can be easily taught at an older age.

Saw something similar with Pamela Stephenson a few years ago. She walked into a training session and promptly did three perfect spins. She later admitted to having ballet lessons as a child

He was still amazing anyway, such a surprise so early in the competition.

There have been a fair few celebrities on the show who've had previous training, haven't there?  Jay's 'experience' hasn't exactly been a secret, given that it was mentioned up front in his biog on the BBC Strictly page :shrug: