Strictly Come Dancing

poppyshake

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes in some routines they did seem a bit distracting.  I think they worked on the paso as well, but could have done without them for some of the others.

It did some more frenetic than usual for the Blackpool show, the opening sequence (I think someone else mentioned it too) was awful, totally manic.

No one has put anything on about Strictly last weekend,

Well Peter went he looked as though his heart was not in it, or it is beyond him now.

I was not surprised that Kelly was in the bottom two again. Getting harder to call now.

I thought some of the music choices were, again, a bit weird (When the Doves Cry for a Tango? Eh?) There were a couple of really lovely dances - Helen and Jay stood out for me particularly. I was shocked Jay didn't get scored more highly in the Quick-Step-a-thon, as I thought he showed real flare there.

The dance off, I thought would be between Peter and Anita, although Kellie was also a close contender in my eyes. Overall, Kellie has been more consistent than Peter, but when it came to the dance off, I thought he showed greater improvement and I was surprised that all four judges chose Kellie to stay. Ah well. Now Jay is the only male celeb left - I hope he makes it to the final, because I think that he started well, but has also shown great improvement over the weeks. I think Georgia is obviously the judges' favourite, closely followed by Helen.

Next week the dance off will include two of Kellie, Anita or Kate, I think - although Kate and Anton were pretty damned good this week, I think she's been inconsistent and I just can't warm to her at all...

I wasn't mad about last Saturday's show. A couple of hits, a few okays and some misses.
I only really liked Helen and Jay. Helen's routine was beautiful and I loved the beginning especially .. also .. great song. Jay also had a great song though it's been used twice before for Rachel & Vincent's AT and Kimberley & Pasha's tango .. however, it was so different that I forgot about them once it started. Loved it .. Jay has stepped up!! He looked much more confident .. that salsa last week did him the world of good. Len nit picked about the heel leads but a friend of mine who dances ballroom said that .. in her opinion ..  Helen missed a couple too .. hmmm .. annoying if that's correct. A dress will hide a multitude of sins but then Helen danced beautifully and deserved her top spot. It was all so gorgeously romantic.

Kellie's routine was full on .. she always gives 100% but it looked shaky in places .. especially in the lifts and her shimmy was pretty dreadful. She looked relieved to get through it so it was a bit sad to see her have to dance it again. Didn't think she danced it all that well second time around but she deserved to stay .. on over all effort. Her costume was okay but still not brilliant.

Didn't like Katie & Anton's AT .. could see them measuring it all out and thinking it through. Her flicks weren't sharp and she wasn't always steady. Anton wasn't convincing either. I just felt anxious all the way through. 

Hated Anita & Gleb's rumba .. apart from the big page of text from Persuasion :D Rumba is so exposing and it showed up all the things that have been evident for weeks. Anita's footwork is pretty bad. She does all the moves but if there's no oomph required then she's unable to sell it. Hated that lift too. Gleb's choreography is too overwrought and it's all about him. There's always one dance that I watch from behind a cushion .. this was the one this week :D 

Georgia's dance was okay. Quite good shaping etc. But I didn't like the stamping much which came over as more of a teen strop than anything. Also a bit wobbly in places but again, she always goes for it so what it lacked in precision it made up for in performance.

Peter .. meh!! So saccharine and he's too flat footed. Great song (not particularly well sung) but nothing really exciting. Thought the faffing about with the cupcakes was naff (especially the end bit .. twee alert!!!!)
Wasn't surprised to see him in the dance off .. and not too surprised to see Kellie there either (as she has been bottom two before.)

I enjoyed the quickstep-a-thon more than I thought I would. I am biased obviously but Jay stood out for me and as a million people have said the same since .. I feel justified :blush2: Very weird to place him 5th! Especially as they said it was far more difficult for the male celebs so the fact that he was moving about well and pivoting around should have counted for more. Think Katie and Anita can count themselves lucky in this one. Nightmare for Kellie as it plunged her down a couple of places (and put her in the dance off .. probably.) 
Jay looks gorgeous in tails .. glad he has at last been made to wear them :D

Onwards and upwards to musical week  :hide: which is surely just movie week .. under a different name!?

Having seen the list of dances and songs .. I'm slightly worried for Jay. He's dancing a rumba to a song I've never heard of from a movie/musical .. I've never heard of (Falling Slowly from the musical Once????) Everyone else has big show tunes from very well known movies/musicals. Helen has got a paso to At the End of the Day from Les Mis which will surely be epic!! 
Georgia is dancing to Beauty and the Beast (is that a musical?) .. which no doubt will be beautiful .. if a bit twee. Katie's got a song from Cabaret, Anita from Chicago and Kellie gets Oom Pah Pah from Oliver!! She's going to be Nancy which will probably give wardrobe the excuse to actually dress her in rags this week!!!! I hope they don't spend all week labouring on Georgia's iconic gold Belle dress to the detriment of Kellie. She deserves something decent at last!

So .. yes .. worried where the quiet rumba to a song only known by a few fits in to all this oom pah pah!!  :D Could go either way, It will either be beautiful or it'll be a damp, wafty, squib (hope it won't be my cushion dance this week :D) I've never liked any male celeb doing the rumba but I'm willing to be converted by Jay :D Very willing .. Darcey levels of willing actually  :giggle:

I loved Jay's dance, and Georgia's paso, I thought Kellie's was a bit hit and miss but I was still surprised she was in the dance-off, I'd have thought it might have been either Anita - whose rumba, I agreed with Len, wasn't sensuous enough - or Katie, who was great when she was being lifted, but once her feet hit the floor her legs seemed to belong to someone else ,it was like watching 2 different dancers to me.  So I think either Katie or Anita will go next.  It was inevitable that Peter would go this week.

Kay/Claire - help!  When we met up, I'm sure you said I should look at one of the professionals in the opening credits - and I though that celeb was Kevin from Grimsby but I don't think he's doing anything funny/odd so it must have been someone else.  Who was it, please?  I keep forgetting to ask!  :)

Kay/Claire - help!  When we met up, I'm sure you said I should look at one of the professionals in the opening credits - and I though that celeb was Kevin from Grimsby but I don't think he's doing anything funny/odd so it must have been someone else.  Who was it, please?  I keep forgetting to ask!  :)

It is Kevin Janet :D You'll have to blame it on our warped sense of humour (Alan's and mine .. not Claire's :D

It's not that he's doing anything particularly odd .. it's just that if you focus on him he looks a bit of an idiot! Alan creases up whenever he sees it. The first time he just pointed and yelled something like 'stomach!' Now he always shouts out 'you're barred!' :D it just looks completely OTT especially as it's so full on compared to everybody else! 

We're strange as I say .. little things like Kevin belly dancing makes us laugh. Not as much as Kevin would laugh if we tried to pull that move though :D 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/strictlycomedancing/entries/6b41328a-5b6a-47e8-bd22-5e56ccc77b89

Training is up .. nearly everybody looking good. It's early footage too so expect to see it a lot more refined come Saturday. 

Kellie was my favourite dancer from last night - just for the sheer fun of it.  Wonderful.

Jay was great, but the rumba isn't my favourite dance.

I think the bottom two may be Anita and Helen... with Helen going.  I was going to say Kellie and Helen, but Kellie has just been saved as I type this, thankfully! :D

ETA:  I was right about Helen!

Edited by Janet

I too didn't think that Helen would go but once she was up against Georgia I don't think she had a chance.

I know I am not an expert on the dancing the steps used and what is technically right.  But I loved Anita's dance I thought she put a lot into it. Plus I love to see the Tango.

Georgia & Giovanni - Foxtrot - Beauty and the Beast

I actually thought this was pretty blah, and was narked that the extras went and minced their way over to stand right in front of the judges for the beginning section of the dance - you could clearly see Bruno trying to see round them.

Anita & Gleb - Argentine Tango - Cell Block Tango

Yes, she was a little pigeon-toed (she admits as much herself), but I actually thought this dance was pretty great. Very dramatic. The only thing I would have liked was a bit more sharpness to the flick-kicks behind - they were a little slow and limp, whereas I think they should be strong and definite. Overall, though, I enjoyed it and was shocked to see her at the bottom of the leader board of the back of that performance.

Kellie & Kevin - Viennese Waltz - Oom-Pah-Pah

I wasn't overly enamoured of the dance itself - to me, it wasn't really a Viennese waltz as it was too in your face (which was dictated by the music choice). However, I thought she performed it quite well and I loved that they were both singing along as they danced. It's hard work to sing and dance with such gusto at the same time!

Jay & Aliona - Rumba - Falling Slowly

I don't like Rumba, but Oh. My. Gods! This was so beautiful! Darcy wasn't the only one with tears in her eyes - I was openly blubbing! My favourite dance of the night. He managed to look strong, masculine, and masterful, yet soft, romantic, and sensual. Absolutely gorgeous! My dance-crush continues unabated!

Katie & Anton - Foxtrot - Maybe This Time

This was pretty decent. Not my favourite dance, by her or by anyone else, but she acquitted herself quite well, and Anton is always joyous to watch in a foxtrot.

Helen & Aljaž - Paso Doble - At the End of the Day

I didn't like this one at all. Couldn't stand the god-awful grimace plastered to her face (she just can't do Paso face, can she?). It felt like she was trying too hard and it showed. Not her finest moment by a long shot.

Dance Off

Although nobody expected to see Georgia and Helen in the dance off this week (who could have imagined?), they were actually the two I wanted to see there and the two I thought deserved it most. That said, I actually preferred Helen's dance off performance over Georgia's, despite the grimacing. The shock on both Katie and Anita's faces was so clear - it's obvious they both thought they would be dancing against each other this weekend, but I'm glad they are through.

Looking Ahead
Anton is in the semi-finals! Who would have thought it, eh? I do think it will be either Katie or Anita to miss out on a finals spot, though. It's tough to call which it will be!

Everyone will be dancing two unlearned dances next week.

Jay will be dancing Charleston and Samba

Katie will be dancing Charleston and Waltz

Anita will have to do two from Viennese Waltz, Salsa and Foxtrot (the only ones she hasn't done)

Georgia will have to do two from Viennese Waltz, Argentine Tango and Salsa (only dances not done)

Kellie will have to do two from Argentine Tango, Rumba and American Smooth (one dances not done)

If Kellie has to do a Rumba, it could mean being in the dance off, as it's been notoriously a non-favourite of the judges (especially Len), that said, she's an actor so she may do well on the emoting/story side of things. Katie's long legs might be her undoing in a Charleston, but she should shine in the waltz. Anita may be scuppered if she has to do the Foxtrot, as it's a fancy footwork dance and she's pigeon-toed.

I think Kay and Georgia are most likely to get through to the final, and of the others, Kellie is the most likely to pick up the last final spot.

I quite enjoyed last week .. except for the extra dancers and OTT theming etc. It works for some but not others but still .. minor gripe.

Didn't mind Georgia's dance .. was distracted slightly by the 'dancing' teapot, candlestick, wardrobe and clock etc and couldn't quite understand it. If the beast has transformed then surely they should have too (I'm overthinking this clearly :D) I can't really recall the dance though now (which is a problem I have with team GG's ballroom) and I didn't think wardrobe quite captured the look .. I've seen better Belle dresses at Asda :D (this one was so acid yellow!) 

Wasn't keen on Anita and Gleb's 'AT' .. I can't help noticing her legs and feet and the bits in hold with Gleb were dreadful. She sort of scuttles. Her flicks etc just weren't precise. I was cringed out .. and then the scenery nearly fell over  :blush2:

I didn't expect to like Kellie's VW but it suited her down to the ground and she gave it some welly. It was rousing .. not much VW but the bit she did do was great and really .. how can you do a VW to 'Oom Pah Pah'? I know it's the same for Anita and Gleb but then they over-theme everything imo .. I've a feeling they would rather have done that sort of AT than a more trad one as it had the potential for them to style it out (though I didn't think they did.)

Ahhh .. lovely Jay :wub: It was the moment of quietness amongst madness that I hoped for and I fell for it hook, line and sinker. A lot of people have complained about his costume but I liked it that he looked like he was wearing his own clothes :D Also .. they were portraying the characters in the musical so no good putting him in a rumba blouse :D Lovely, tender and wafty and not cringey at all.

I have a problem with Katie and Anton too .. in that their dances are all merging into one for me (so glad she is doing the Charleston this week .. something different.) She is very good in hold but out of it I'm not convinced. Was a bit distracted by the wig too .. I know she was Sally Bowles but that wasn't a very Sally Bowles outfit. It should have been more corsety (is that a word?!?)

Poor lovely Helen :( Clobbered by the theme. I love the song, it's rousing .. and there is a paso in there somewhere but all the extra dancers etc made it all too hectic. Plus she didn't get her wish .. she wanted more authentic 'Eponine' clothing and I think she should have got it because it looked slightly ridiculous .. doing all that stamping around the barricades in a chiffon, sequinned, ballgown (I bet Jay had to avoid Vicky wardrobe for at least an hour before the start :D)

I thought there should have been more discussion about saving her than there was because she did improve tremendously. The content was fierce and she didn't wobble or anything the second time around. They were only 2 points adrift after they first danced it .. and Craig said she'd improved so .. in theory they might have scored them the same if Helen had danced like that the first time out.

I'm sad because last week she would have beaten anyone in a dance off .. but that's the way it is! Loved her farewell dance with Aljaz .. class!   

I wasn't too surprised at who was in the bottom two. Helen had been put in a precarious position and Georgia just wasn't wow. Anita needed saving obviously and that's what people did .. possibly to the detriment of both Helen and Georgia ... Georgia definitely. Anita must have come first or second in the public vote so she must have massive support. 

It's going to be a bun fight this week. Horrible week to go home. I think it could be anyone bar Anita. Possibly Georgia will get a bounce back vote. 

Jay has VW and Charleston (no training footage of the Charleston still today! Eek!! Is he going to freestyle it :D)

Georgia has VW and Cha Cha Cha .. she did have AT but they have inexplicably changed it .. or someone has. Difficult dance to do in a 2 dance scenario though.

Kellie has AS and Rumba .. both looking good in training. The rumba is to Eva Cassidy's 'Songbird' so it will be another tender and lyrical one and not the filth that Craig is probably hoping for :D

Anita has Foxtrot and Salsa .. think the salsa will be fine anyway. Gleb has said it'll be a lift fest so it'll probably have the wow factor.

Katie has Waltz and Charleston .. I'm looking forward to their Charleston because it's something different from them. 

Should be exciting. 

Apparently Georgia has been a bit ill this week, which is partly what prompted the change in dance I think, but it's resulted in far less rehearsal time. Could it be her undoing this week?

Yes, Georgia has been unwell .. that would explain the change of dance. Hope she is feeling better. Thought that outfit she had on on ITT was a bit 'Ola gets the catsuit out' though :D 

Jay's Charleston looks shockingly under rehearsed :( Hope he gets some time today to go over it some more .. though I know it's dress rehearsal day. He had to take a day out to go to Nottingham to his Granddad's funeral. I doubt they will mention it .. he's too private. Luckily I know a stalker fan who has access to his Dad's twitter and they saw the info on there. Because I was getting worried about the no training (or scant) footage. The lady journalist who always tweets after watching Friday rehearsals didn't have much to say about it either .. I think it was still being walked through!! :o His VW looks lovely and hopefully he can just style the Charleston out :unsure: Worrying glimpses of a tardis in Ainsley's 'Behind the Scenes' visit yesterday. As Jay's Charleston is danced to Doctor Jazz there is a strong possibility someone has shoehorned this into his theming. Oh Lord!! :hide:  Help!! The futuristic wig they are planning to put on Aliona adds weight to this theory!

Totally appreciated Adam Garcia's comments yesterday on ITT regarding Jay. I concur!! However much they talk about Jay's lack of facial expression they can't get away from the fact that he is connecting with lots of people. It's through the body mostly .. so expressive. I don't feel that with anyone else .. however well they dance. When Jay is on song he is untouchable. I should add IMO .. I know some of you don't feel the Jay love :D

My devotion to Flackers and Nimble Kimble was as nothing compared to this!! :D

I'm thinking .. worse case scenario .. if Jay or Georgia find themselves bottom two then they have their VW's to fall back on which look beautiful. If they find themselves there together then .. :unsure: .. it's going to be a fight!

Please let a 'not so good' dancer leave tonight. If I had my way .. Jay, Georgia, Kellie and Katie would fight it out in the final .. though obviously I haven't seen tonight's dances.  

Edited by poppyshake

Katie & Anton:

Charleston - Too Darned Hot

She started well, and I actually thought, "Hey, maybe she's going to pull this one off after all!" but then she started making mistakes and going completely out of synch with Anton. Deservedly low score. Her body and legs are just too darned long for some of those lifts and moves.

Waltz - O mio babbino caro

Again, started well, but was kind of blah and she's still making far too many mistakes. I don't think she's had a single dance without multiple very obvious mistakes. In both cases, when the judges were speaking to her, she looked like she was physically biting her tongue to stop herself answering back.

Jay & Aliona:

Viennese Waltz - Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman?

It was lovely, but not his best dance by a long shot. I've found most of the waltzes a bit blah this season. I did love his pirouette though, and he always looks so elegant when he moves. I love watching him dance. I know there was talk again about facial expression and his lack of a smile through this dance, but I liked it - I thought he looked like he was completely lost in Aliola!

Charleston - Doctor Waltz

I worried about over-theming, but this really worked. There was that one drop at the end that I wasn't sure was deliberate (Aliona seemed to be saying it was, but I'm not convinced), but the whole dance was packed full of fantastic content and considering he took time off for a family funeral (poor Jay!), I'm amazed he did so well and was able to smile! It certainly didn't look under-rehearsed to me!

Georgia & Giovanni:

Cha Cha Cha - I Will Survive

I know this was the dance they changed to at the last minute, but I felt it really showed. The content was lacking and the performance was lacklustre.

Viennese Waltz - Runaway

Well, it was nice and all, but again, pretty blah overall. Not impressed with Georgia's performance this week. I know she's been ill, but I actually thought the judges all over-scored her taking that into consideration.

Anita & Gleb:

Foxtrot - New York New York

There was a lot of faffing about before the dance started properly, but once it got going, it was actually pretty good. You could see Anita was really trying hard not to be pigeon-toed, and I think it worked overall.

Salsa - Feel This Moment

Not her best dance, really, but pretty decent overall. To be honest, I can't really recall any fine details about this dance, as it didn't leave all that much of an impression on me.

Kellie & Kevin:

Rumba - Songbird

I didn't think Kellie was using her hips quite enough, but the storytelling was wonderful and the dance was rather lovely. I spotted one little wobble, but I think it was a case of her high heel slipping slightly on the floor, rather than an overbalance on her part.

American Smooth - Let's Face the Music and Dance

And then Kellie blew everyone else out of the water with her American Smooth! All those lifts and spins one after another. It was absolutely breathtaking to watch - like Ginger Rogers had just materialized on the screen. The dance of the night for me!

Dance Off:

Katie and Anita are at the bottom after the judges' scores, but Anita has been there before and been saved by the public - will they save her again? If so, we could see Georgia dancing against Katie. I would love to see Anton in the final, but I don't think Katie is a strong enough dancer to take him there - she just makes too many mistakes, and I thin kshe's the most liekly candidate for elimination tomorrow.

I thought Georgia was a bit under-powered this week, due to her illness I expect, and neither waltz did much for me, to be honest I usually find the waltz a bit boring.

Loved Jay's Charleston, thought the Doctor Who theme really worked although I'm not sure what happened at the end either, it was a bit clunky but apart from that it was my favourite dance of the night. 

I think the other couple should have gone in the dance-off, won't say anymore in case anyone hasn't seen it/read about it in the papers yet!

There's lots of talk on social media of getting rid of the dance off again next year after both the Jamelia/Peter Andre dance off decision and then again this weeks Katie/Anita decision, putting it back in the control of the public vote which is independently verified.  Obviously, the judges scores would still count and would have influence that way, but the couple with the lowest score and vote combined would go home each week.

I'd be in favour of this, as it might also mean we could go back to a shorter, but live, results show on Saturday night, which would save the spoilers of the results being available.  It's fine if people want to know the spoiler, but I've seen lots of fans being targeted on social media and spoilers being sent to them direct when they'd wanted to wait and see the results show for themselves.

Personally, I think we need a big shake up for next year.  I'm a traditionalist and would like to see less props, no extra dancers and if there is a theme week, not trying to shoehorn a dance to fit a song and/or theme.  I'd also like to see a change to the judging line-up, perhaps bringing in another ballroom/latin professional.  I'd actually like to see Arlene back, and perhaps another female judge such as Erin or Karen - both have experience of judging professionally as well as experiencing Strictly itself.

Back to the final … I'm still waiting to find out what everyone will be dancing again, but my favourite is Georgia, although I'd be happy for Jay to win too.  Having said that, I'm open minded and both Kellie and Katie could pull out all the stops on Saturday and wow me, and I could be persuaded by either of them too.  My head says that I think Jay will win, because he's never been in the dance off and I suspect as a boy band member, he has huge support from his fans that the others don't have, but again, I'm willing to be proven wrong. :D

ooh I'm not sure about getting the public to vote, they have a tendency to keep the worst dancers in the contest for entertainment value - how many times have 2 good dancers been in the dance-off when much worse competitors have received more votes?

I have a bad feeling that Katie might win, for the simple reason that people will vote for Anton (which is what one of my friends suspects has been happening) - she's not in the same league as Jay, Kelly and Georgia - I wouldn't have a problem with any of those 3 winning.

IT'S THE FINAL! THE FINAL PEOPLE!!!!!

I'm sad it's the end, but it's been a great season this year, hasn't it? Here's what I thought of the show tonight (this is pre-results and elimination etc).

Jay & Aliona:
Quickstep - My Generation

I wan't a fan of this choice of music for a quickstep first time around, and that didn't change, however, I thought Jay improved greatly over his earlier performance of the dance.

Show Dance - I Can't Feel My Face

I liked it a lot, but it was more a showcase of what they've done than a real show-stopper. I loved the start where he came in hanging upside down, but I agreed with the judges, that it should have ended on a bang.

Georgia & Giovanni:
Rumba - Writing's On The Wall

Again, an improvement on the first time they performed this dance, but not one of my favourites of theirs then, and not now either.

Show Dance - Fix You

The opening section with the blindfold was daring and wonderful, but the rest of the dance once the blindfold was off lacked pizzazz for me. Again, it could have done with ending on a high, rather than starting on one and then just fizzling out.

Kellie & Kevin:

Tango - You Really Got Me

I hated this music choice for a tango, and I think I must have been watching a different dance from the judges, because I wouldn't have given it more than an 8. They danced it well, but the dance itself did absolutely nothing for me.

Show Dance - The Ding-Dong Daddy of the D-Car Line

Wowza! Now, THAT'S what I call a showstopper of a dance! They threw caution to the wind and took a real chance with this one. I feel they pitched it particularly at Craig, but they definitely played to Kellie's strengths and they really pulled it off with aplomb!

Katie & Anton:

Quickstep - 42nd Street

Apart from the hatography going awry at the start and one teensy stumble, this was a VAST improvement on the original and I thought Katie actually acquitted herself very well indeed.

Show Dance - O Fortuna

Oh. My. GODS! Talk about drama! I thought this was pretty spectacular, especially that drop at the end - there's no way on earth I could have done that! I thought they were seriously underscored for this incredibly daring dance - I would have given them a good, strong 9!

Much as I have wanted Jay to win from day one, based on tonight's dances, I think Kellie really deserves that glitterball trophy! I think Katie will be the one to be eliminated before the voting on the final three commences, which is a shame, because that show dance was something else - certainly more memorable than either Jay's or Georgia's.