Life will have to wait; I'm reading.

SorinaM

I think it's time to bomb you guys with my opinions ( really, really personal opinions) I hope you'll enjoy them, because  I will start with a Stephen King book, of course.

Also, I will add the romanian covers for each book I’m writing about; also if you have a copy in another country I would love to see it’s cover !

The first book I’m going to write about is Gerald’s Game.

stephen-king-_jocul-lui-gerald.jpg?w=640

In romanian it’s Jocul lui Gerald (game = joc) and I have to admit that I first read it when I was about fourteen and I was shocked at first.

Now, at 21, I feel like it’s one of the most underappreciated books King wrote; it’s about some sort of Fifty Shades gone wrong (You should read it if handcuffs bed play sounds appealing to you, just in case)

The main character is Jessie Burlingame and we’re following her attempt to escape from her own bed and get rid of her demons at once.  It’s a different bedtime story, or that’s what the cover says. At first I didn’t understand it, but in the end I have to tell you, that’s one hell of a bedtime story.

The inner fight of the character is so well written I actually identified with her since the beginning. This time, King’s accent is on thoughts, imagination and terror ; he brought Jessie to life in my head, beyond fiction; she stood in my mind for days after finishing the book and I couldn’t start reading anything for a week afterwards. There are some quotes that kept coming back to me, making me see different angles of life, love and mind. I was able to identify the demons in the end and it was like a reward.

It’s a bit different from an usual King novel, but it’s great.

Have you read it? What’s your opinion about it? (If you didn’t, you should give it a try)

Also, a quote:

Sometimes it takes heart to write about a thing, doesn’t it? To let that thing out of the room way in the back of your mind and put it up there on the screen.

PS: the same books will be on my blog as well, but for different reasons.

Although I am not a big King fan, I had not even heard of this one!  That's a great idea putting up the Romanian cover.

Excellent name for your book blog, by the way. 

Edited by vodkafan

I've got this one, in Dutch, on my shelves but I haven't read it yet. I should read more Stephen King books, though horror isn't my favourite genre. Interesting cover, I love blue. This is the Dutch cover I've got:

9024526566.gif

I look forward to follow your blog :)!

I love King - I think of him more as a profiler of life in general rather than a horror writer (my favourite is The Stand). I rather enjoyed Gerald's Game, and like you, I think it's an under-rated and under-appreciated novel in King's canon. I love that he can take a single room and make it at once claustrophobic and yet epic in its scope.

Why do you think of him so?

The things he writes about are so often the absurd in an everyday situation, for example, a sex game gone wrong in Gerald's Game - the focus is actually on the people and how they cope with the situations.

The things he writes about are so often the absurd in an everyday situation, for example, a sex game gone wrong in Gerald's Game - the focus is actually on the people and how they cope with the situations.

I agree that he focuses on he people and how they cope with the situations, at least in the books I read. Sometimes the supernatural ruined it, because the realistic outcomes would be more frightening.

Geralds Game is probably one of my favourite King books from this period. It's one of the few book that have a point in them that I had to put it down and go for a little walk around.

The part where she gets out of the handcuffs by... I'll say no more. You know how she does it

Edited by ian

I'm glad you enjoyed this book as well !  For those of you who didn't read it, give it a try  !

Today we're talking about The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong. In romanian it's Invocarea

2800905.jpg

My name is Chloe Saunders and my life will never be the same again.

About the author

Kelley Armstrong has been telling stories since before she could write. Her earliest written efforts were disastrous. If asked for a story about girls and dolls, hers would invariably feature undead girls and evil dolls, much to her teachers’ dismay. All efforts to make her produce “normal” stories failed. (source: Goodreads)

About the book

The Summoning it’s the first book of “Darkest Powers” series. It’s about Chloe Saunders, a 15 year old girl who finds herself able to see ghosts. As expected, next to no one ever believed her, so she ends up in all sorts of situations based on her power.

She is not quite aware of her powers yet, she doesn’t believe it could bring any good as well; as expected, she suffers a meltdown in school and is placed in a house supposedly for mentally ill teens. When she arrives at Lyle House, Chloe discovers that her fellow patients also have unusual powers and all is not what it seems to be.

Personal thoughts

Even if I’m not an usual young adult reader, I gave this book a chance since it seemed easy to read on a trip. So, I read it in an airoport and I have to admit it kept me awake and curious. Sadly, it has some gaps and it could’ve been amazing, but I felt it more like a nice and soft road companion.  I recommend it as a light lecture, because it doesn’t challenge the reader too much.  I have to admit I left it on a chair in the airport after finishing it. Therefore, I will write to you the same thing I wrote on it’s first page before passing it on : “Enjoy and take good care of this book, it was a good companion”

Favorite quotes

“That’s what we all want, isn’t it? Power without price.”

“That’s what being crazy was, wasn’t it? You thought you were fine. Everyone else knew better.”

P.S. : I will make a short review like this for The Awakening and The Reckoning too, probably a few posts later

• 5 weeks later...

How I became stupid by Martin Page

In romanian "M-am hotarat sa devin prost" 

It's traslated more like I decided (m-am hotarat)  to be (devin)  stupid(prost)

eee.jpg

Frankly, it was good. Not good as in easy-to-read, more like made-me -think good.

It starts with Antoine, an young brilliant man who decides he can’t handle his own brain anymore. The best solution for his problem seems to be stupidity. His attempts to become stupid are brilliant, ironic and somehow make you as a read think a bit about yourself and your life.

Even though I found some stuff I don’t agree with, I came to realise why stupid people seem to be the happiest, but at the same time, how much of this world’s beauty they are missing.

Also, there were some words that made me feel dumb, but that’s a different story. I’m trying to improve. Let’s be honest, most of you will feel that too, at least a bit. For example, how many of us read about what we want to do next? Not as in google it and read a review, but actual digging, seeking to know everything there is about the subject? Such a small percent, I presume, right? Thought so.

Well, this book made me feel ashamed I don’t dig more, read more, know more. Therefore, if you are looking for some kind of motivation  or a subject to think about , read this book. Take your time to enjoy it and I promise there wont be any regrets.

Also, in my opinion time spent reading isn’t wasted time. You’ll see our world judged, our society tore apart with such talent you won’t mind, so give it a try.