Reading through the Decades

Kylie

I was browsing some book blogs earlier today and was astounded by the number of different reading challenges some people undertake!

One challenge, in particular, caught my eye. It is called 'Reading through the Decades' (perhaps 'Reading through the Ages' or some such would also work) and entails reading books from every decade for the past 100 years or so; that is, books from the 2000s, 1990s etc back to the 1900s.

I'm thinking of taking up this challenge myself and was wondering if anyone would care to join me? If there is enough interest, perhaps we could set it up formally.

And like our other challenges, the 'rules' could be flexible if one wanted to challenge themselves to more or less decades, then that would be fine, although of course the point would be to expand one's reading horizons by read books from decades that they might not usually consider!

I realise it's a bit late in the year to be starting a new challenge, but then I guess there doesn't necessarily have to be a starting point. What do you all think? (I hope it's OK that I put this idea forward :lol:)

Of course it's OK to post a challenge at ANY time you come up with one!

I was actually thinking of changing my Modern Classics challenge to a 20th Century Challenge next year, where I cover a book for each year in that century (working by the year of publication).Of course, with that totalling 100 books, it's a challenge that I would have to continue for a couple of years at least, as this would be on top of my normal reading and other challenges, but it's certainly one I would start from January, so you can count me in!

Wow, Kell, that'd be one heck of a challenge! :lol: But I have no doubt you could do it, and complete it much quicker than the rest of us (well, quicker than me anyway)! That's just too daunting for me; I think I'll stick with my humble one-per-decade challenge. :roll:

I was just looking at my reading list for 2007 so far, and I only need to read 4 more books from the 20th century (40s, 20s, 10s and 0s). I got pretty excited looking at my list of potential books; this challenge will definitely give me a push to read books that I otherwise wouldn't have gotten around to for a couple of years.

I think it's a great idea, too! And one thing is, why should a challenge like this start at January? There's all kinds of other "new beginning" to deal with in Janyary anyway. And if you want it to be for a year, (which I think is one of the fundamentals, otherwise it wouldn't be much of an challenge, now would it?) you could just set/mark down the date of beginning and say, okay, I started this at September 1, so I have until the eng of August next year. I mean, the year's a year.

Other point, in challenges like this (of which I'd be very interested), could it be possible to have some sort of "Marter List" of books people involved in the challenge are reading. Like "for 1990 the following books are read:.." so that if someone gets stuck with no interesting book for a certain decade, she/he could look up easily what other's are reading. And on the other hand, maybe more people will read the same book, which would lead to more discussion, no?

Good idea; I'd be interested in this. I like ii's idea of a list of books for a particular decade, to make the choice easier. Perhaps a list of the most "popular" or most read books of a decade would be a way to go?

I know I tend to read more contemporary novels, as the older books can be a struggle (in the way the language is used). But if I had a list of books to follow, it may make it easier to choose one and stick with it.

I agree with ii and angerball; it would be very useful to have a list of books to give people more ideas.

If the mods think the challenge worthy of being set up as a sub-forum, we could have a post set up as a sticky that can be continually added to. I would be happy to take on the responsibility of keeping it updated if members were to post suggestions to me or the forum.

• 11 months later...

I could put together some sort of preliminary list of books. Of course they're only a suggestion, and no one has to follow the list. Also, should we limit it in some way, for comparisons sake, to, say, Western world? Europe? It would make it easier to compare for example changes in style and themes if the cultural heritage behind the books is somewhat same. I'd bet that the themes in early 1900's Chinese literature and late 1950's American are quite different and the year has nothing to do with it!

Edit: Also, how long of a time period should we have? The 1900's? That's ten decades. Or 1800's to present day? More room for choice, plus some of the greatest classics ever would be included (for the benefit of those who also have the Classics challenge).

Edited by ii
added something

I don't know how I missed this thread when it was first posted, but I think it's a great idea. :)

Kylie - if you want to start a thread in the challenge section, one of us can pin it for you. :)

ETA: Whoops - there is no specific challenge section. I think this needs Kell's decision/attention.

Sorry. :)

Edited by Janet

ETA: Whoops - there is no specific challenge section. I think this needs Kell's decision/attention.

Sorry. :)

The lists can just go in the reading blogs section. :)

As there's interest and now an approval from a higher authority, is there any objections if I just go ahead and put together a preliminary list of suggestions? Everyone's free to give their suggestions, of course!