Your Book Activity - September 2015

Athena

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished Lois Lowry's Anastasia Has the Answers and have started on the last unread Anastasia book I have: Anastasia's Chosen Career. I also picked up (finally!) Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay.

Ooooh, her Chosen Career!! :smile2: I hope you will like it. There will be things that I'm sure you will like. You'll know what they are when you read it :)

And hurray for the Dexter novel :D You're on a Dexter roll :D

I'm currently reading The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommended by Katarina Bivald. 

Edited by frankie

In the last week I've finished We Never Asked for WIngs by Vanessa Diffenbaugh (amazing, a huge 10/10, easily one of my favourite authors ever) and Pushing the Limits, a YA book by Katie McGarry.  I'm now started Where My Heart Used to Beat by Sebastian Faulks, I'm longing for another good one from him.  :readingtwo:

I'm about to start Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie for my Book Club.  :)

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. Have you read it before? One of my favourite books ever.

As far as reading goes for me, I finished A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler yesterday. Currently have a couple more on the go. I've started the second Millennium book - The Girl Who Played with Fire - and I've also started my penultimate Man Booker read: The Year of the Runaways by Sunjeev Sahota. Promising so far...

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. Have you read it before? One of my favourite books ever.

Wow- that's high praise!  I heard it was a difficult book to get through.  I like Rushdie.  I'd like to give it a try.

Edit: I liked your review!  Wish it had turned out better for you :)

Edited by Anna Begins

I finally finished Grapes of Wrath yesterday. I can't say I particularly enjoyed it, but after reading up on it being quite a fair account of the Great Depression (I'm not really up on US history), I can appreciate more of what its purpose was.

Now, I'll concentrate on finishing Mr Mercedes, which I am enjoying, before I decide what to read next, whilst still having the restriction of only having access to kindle books.

Wow- that's high praise!  I heard it was a difficult book to get through.  I like Rushdie.  I'd like to give it a try.

Edit: I liked your review!  Wish it had turned out better for you :)

He's not easy-going, by any means - probably something to do with the fact he'd rather use ten words where one would probably do - but if you give his books the right time and attention they're extremely rewarding. I did my dissertation on Rushdie and it's one of the few pieces of writing I've done - academic or otherwise - that I'm proud of. He's an author that I will always hold in high regard.

Oh and thanks for the kind comments on my A Spool of Blue Thread review. It was a difficult book to review because I know it wasn't for me... but that doesn't mean other people might not enjoy it of course!

No, it's my first Rushdie.   :)  I've only read the first few pages so it's early days, but so far, so good. 

Awesome! Good luck with it, hope it captures your interest and makes you want to explore his books further... 

I'm currently reading Holly Smale - Geek Girl 4: All That Glitters after its humour drew me in. I liked the first three books (though the first two more than the third) but have been apprehensive about this one because I heard from some people it isn't as good as the first three books. But so far I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would.

I'm back from the US with horrendous jetlag and a pile of reviews to catch up on :D 

I've now started The Panopticon by Jenni Fagan - premise sounds promising and I am enjoying the Scottish accents in the early pages

Welcome back :D!

I'm over half way through in Geek Girl 4: All That Glitters by Holly Smale. So far I find the middle section not as interesting as the first half.

I just picked up my copy of The Library of Souls, Chaliepud! I went in this morning but I guess I was too keen because I beat the delivery person, so I had them set one aside for me and picked it up this evening. Going to start it shortly.  :exc:

I did my dissertation on Rushdie and it's one of the few pieces of writing I've done - academic or otherwise - that I'm proud of. He's an author that I will always hold in high regard.

That must be some paper!  Definitely something to be proud of!

Oh and thanks for the kind comments on my A Spool of Blue Thread review. It was a difficult book to review because I know it wasn't for me... but that doesn't mean other people might not enjoy it of course!

Ya and sometimes those are the best reviews :)

I'm back from the US with horrendous jetlag and a pile of reviews to catch up on :D

I've now started The Panopticon by Jenni Fagan - premise sounds promising and I am enjoying the Scottish accents in the early pages

Did you see me wave?  :D Hope you had a great time in the US, the jet lag is indeed terrible.  When I come home from Amsterdam, it usually takes me about 7 days to recover!  Also hope you read some good stuff :)

Anticipating making it to 300 pages in Robert K Massie's Romanov history, Nicholas and Alexandra.  Would be more than 50%, so that's nice.  :readingtwo:  Being that it is so Fall like here already, I'd like to start one of the books I have slated for October.  :witch:

Alexi, hope your trip was wonderful! :D

I'll look forward to your take/review of The Panopticon by Jenni Fagan. I have it, and actually started it last year, but for some reason couldn't get into it.

Anna, I read N&A some years ago, and loved it.

I've finished both The Silence and Claire North's Touch. High marks to both.

I'm temporarily back to Havana Nocturne by T.J. English. All about the Mafia in Cuba back before Castro.

I finished Geek Girl 4: All That Glitters by Holly Smale and am currently re-reading Anna Enquist - Het Geheim, a Dutch literary work I read for my Dutch literature list. I haven't read it since. I borrowed a library copy at the time and I've been meaning to re-read it. I bought my own copy a while ago and now I'm re-reading it. I'm liking it so far.

That must be some paper!  Definitely something to be proud of!

Well, I'm not so sure about that... it was a piece of work I enjoyed doing at the very least. I probably didn't do him or the subject justice in all fairness.

Finished The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson earlier - reviewed here if anyone fancies a look. I thought it was better than the first instalment in the Millennium series, but both have been great. Looking forward to the final book - The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest - which I'll probably start when my girlfriend is all caught up.

In the meantime, still reading The Year of the Runaways by Sunjeev Sahota. It's picked up a bit but I'm still not being blown away...

Anna, I read N&A some years ago, and loved it.

It is a great read, isn't it?  Massie is such an easy to read historian... I read his wonderful Peter the Great a few years ago.

I hope to be at 400 pages today.  It's irritating, my Kindle says there are 562 pages and I am at page 325, but then it says 48% and the Amazon site has the book at 673 pages.  :banghead:

I finished Mr Mercedes last night. I put down my phone, I wasn't watching what hubby had on telly (Arrow) and just had a proper reading session like in the days of old. ;)

Anyway, I rather enjoyed it all in all. There was lots of tension at the end! I should probably start my own blog post I guess, but it'll have to wait til I'm on the computer rather than my phone so I can copy over my TBR list. :)

I'm about to start Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie for my Book Club.  :)

Oooh, this is a marmite book. I hated it....found it labourious and silly, so I hope you are one of those that love it. :smile:

Congratulations on passing the exam and good luck with the next ones :).

Many thanks. :flowers2:

I finally finished Grapes of Wrath yesterday. I can't say I particularly enjoyed it, but after reading up on it being quite a fair account of the Great Depression (I'm not really up on US history), I can appreciate more of what its purpose was.

Now, I'll concentrate on finishing Mr Mercedes, which I am enjoying, before I decide what to read next, whilst still having the restriction of only having access to kindle books.

Shame you didn't enjoy The Grapes of Wrath all that much. I loved it, and I keep meaning to read more Steinbeck but I just never get around to it.

Heading into town shortly, hoping to purchase the lastest Miss Peregrine book and maybe the new Jojo Moyes book too if I like the sound of the synopsis :)

Is that After You (the sequel to Me Before You)? Did you buy it?

I finished The Stand this morning, and after a bit of studying I think I will carry on with Guns, Germs and Steel.