Your Book Activity - September 2015

Athena

Finished The Fishermen last night - and thought it was terrific, actually. Moved on this morning to the second DIscworld novel, The Light Fantastic. I can't believe I've only ever read the first in this series, but I hope to rectify it in the coming months - and probably throughout 2016.

I hope you enjoy it :)

Funnily enough I was reading it on the train into work this morning and laughed aloud repeatedly while doing so. Got some strange looks from fellow commuters, but I'm sure they would understand if they knew I was reading Pratchett. :lol:

This has happened to me with several of Pratchett's books, so I get how you feel :giggle2:. I read a lot of them on the train on the way to or from university. 

The new Jack Reacher is out :exc: 10 pages in and Reacher is already in trouble.  Oooohhhh yaaaaa.

And what a nerd, I pre-ordered yesterday so I could get it last night, instead of today :P

Woohoo :exc:, I know you're excited about this. I hope you enjoy it :)!

I'm currently reading Lemony Snicket - Ellendige Avonturen 3: Het Rampzalige Raam (A Series of Unfortunate Events 3: The Wide Window), a library loan. I read book 2 first, which I own, and am now halfway through book 3. I really like the writing style. Some elements between the two books are a bit samey, so I'm not sure if I want to continue on with book 4 straight away (I own books 2, 4 and 8) or whether I might read Lauren Oliver - Delirium 2: Pandemonium and Requiem sooner (I will read those soon either way).

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you enjoy it :)

This has happened to me with several of Pratchett's books, so I get how you feel :giggle2:. I read a lot of them on the train on the way to or from university. 

Thanks! It has been brilliant so far. Haha, you just can't help it... some of the things he comes out with! :lol:

Read some more on the way into work this morning and I was almost in stitches at

the scene where Rincewind and Twoflower are at Death's house and he's trying to play bridge with some of the gods. "HUMANS PLAY THIS FOR FUN?"

Absolutely hilarious. :giggle:

Edited by Ben

Loving my re-read of The Stand. Struggling to put it down even though I've read it so many times. :thud:

Must have a re-read of this myself soon - such a great book.

For me, now that my TBR pile has reached critical mass, I've imposed a book buying ban on myself (yeah, right - that'll last!), till I've made some serious in-roads into it. The physical part of the TBR pile lives on a cabinet at the bottom of my bed, so I pass it first thing every morning and last thing at night; it actually gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling every time I see it.

so I'm not sure if I want to continue on with book 4 straight away (I own books 2, 4 and 8) or whether I might read Lauren Oliver - Delirium 2: Pandemonium and Requiem sooner (I will read those soon either way).

I hope it's Pandemonium, would be nice if we were reading the series together (you with Pandemonium, me with Requiem) :)  Plus, it will get me incentive to finish off the series!

Loving my re-read of The Stand. Struggling to put it down even though I've read it so many times. :thud:

I think I might do this or Revival in October.  Didn't you read that one?  I think I remember you did? :unsure:

Today is another lovely day spent with Jack Reacher, I am savoring every page :wub:

Today I got two books in the post - although I didn't realise it was two until about an hour ago!

One came through the letterbox this morning, a paperback copy of Fly By Night by Frances Hardinge (I had read it on my tablet) - though unfortunately it was the wrong edition. I ordered two copies, two different editions, and the one I received is neither. Oh well, it'll do as a reading copy, and hopefully when the other copy arrives it will be one of the other editions.

Then, on my out the front door to the shop this evening, whatever look I gave down at the ground, I spotted another package leaning against the door. Twas my hardback copy of the sequel to Fly By Night - Twilight Robbery. Haven't read this one, so that's something to look forward to!

Finished The Silent Wife as this months' reading group read.  Dull, overdetailed (telling everything and leaving nothing to the reader) and pretty pointless, about a set of people with little, if anything, to recommend themselves to the reader; the odd flash of promising writing helped this avoid a rock bottom rating.  Whilst I was just about the least enthusiastic of the group, nobody rated it above mediocre.  Lead balloon territory!

Having taken a few days out to complete this in time for the meeting, back to Villette now to see through to the finish: readable enough, but haven't really settled to it - more a function of the time of year (start of school) than the book I think.

Finished Terry Pratchett's The Light Fantastic last night, and it was BRILLIANT. So, so funny. I feel like I've been missing out all these years I haven't read the Discworld novels. Thankfully I'm now putting that to rights.

Not sure what to read next, with have a flick through the Kindle on my way to work...

I hope it's Pandemonium, would be nice if we were reading the series together (you with Pandemonium, me with Requiem) :)  Plus, it will get me incentive to finish off the series!

I am reading Pandemonium :exc:! It took me a little bit of time to get into it again but now I'm really enjoying it. At the moment I'm just over 25% in I estimate.

Finished Terry Pratchett's The Light Fantastic last night, and it was BRILLIANT. So, so funny. I feel like I've been missing out all these years I haven't read the Discworld novels. Thankfully I'm now putting that to rights.

I'm glad you enjoyed it :)!

Thanks, Gaia.

Decided on Stephen King's Carrie in the end. Have seen the film before - and very much enjoyed it - but that hasn't detracted from the book so far. I'm not very familiar with King's writing (yet: I intend to get acquainted with it soon) but this is strong, visceral prose. Even in the early pages I'm very much gripped. Great stuff.

Must have a re-read of this myself soon - such a great book.

It is brilliant. I think he gets dismissed far too often as just being a horror writer, but he can really write one helluva story.

For me, now that my TBR pile has reached critical mass, I've imposed a book buying ban on myself (yeah, right - that'll last!), till I've made some serious in-roads into it. The physical part of the TBR pile lives on a cabinet at the bottom of my bed, so I pass it first thing every morning and last thing at night; it actually gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling every time I see it.

What is your definition of critical mass? I'm not good with self-imposed book bans, though I'd like to think I have cut down quite a bit.

I think I might do this or Revival in October.  Didn't you read that one?  I think I remember you did? :unsure:

Yeah, I read it last year (or earlier this year). I wasn't overly impressed with it, but I hope you enjoy it.

Decided on Stephen King's Carrie in the end. Have seen the film before - and very much enjoyed it - but that hasn't detracted from the book so far. I'm not very familiar with King's writing (yet: I intend to get acquainted with it soon) but this is strong, visceral prose. Even in the early pages I'm very much gripped. Great stuff.

Carrie is another one I have to re-read. It's not one of my favourite Stephen King books, but I wouldn't mind re-visiting it to see if my opinion has changed? Which version of the film did you see? The older one with Sissy Spacek, or the re-make?

Carrie is another one I have to re-read. It's not one of my favourite Stephen King books, but I wouldn't mind re-visiting it to see if my opinion has changed? Which version of the film did you see? The older one with Sissy Spacek, or the re-make?

Hi bobbles. Yeah, I've seen the '73 one, always thought it was pretty good. Book definitely better so far, mind...

Decided on Stephen King's Carrie in the end.

Oooh- a good one!  I just listened to it on audio last year (I think it was last year!), narrated by Sissy Spacek, which was way cool.

It is brilliant. I think he gets dismissed far too often as just being a horror writer, but he can really write one helluva story.

Yeah, I read it last year (or earlier this year). I wasn't overly impressed with it, but I hope you enjoy it.

I agree!

That doesn't bode well! :unsure:

Book definitely better so far, mind...

I thought the movie was way creepier than the book!  Yikes.

Started Shakespeare on Toast by Ben Crystal this morning. Surprisingly easy to read, informative and entertaining too. :)

Very glad to hear this! :)

One came through the letterbox this morning, a paperback copy of Fly By Night by Frances Hardinge (I had read it on my tablet) - though unfortunately it was the wrong edition. I ordered two copies, two different editions, and the one I received is neither. Oh well, it'll do as a reading copy, and hopefully when the other copy arrives it will be one of the other editions.

Then, on my out the front door to the shop this evening, whatever look I gave down at the ground, I spotted another package leaning against the door. Twas my hardback copy of the sequel to Fly By Night - Twilight Robbery. Haven't read this one, so that's something to look forward to!

Doh! I hate it when the wrong book arrives. :( But I'm glad the day got a bit better with the arrival of the second book. :)

I've been trying to go to bed a bit earlier so I can have more time to read. Between that and hanging around a cash wash for nearly an hour today, I managed to get through a few more chapters of The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag, which I'm really enjoying.

Very glad to hear this! :)

I finished it in a day, so it must have been good! It was really interesting to find out some of the background info too, such as that all the sonnets were written in the period when the theatres were closed down, and his theories on how they played around with iambic pentameter (which I also now understand! :lol:)

I've started The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris by Jenny Colgan, and it's exactly what I was expecting … perfect for my mood. :D

Nearly finished 'The Lost Daughter' ~ Diane Chamberlain....and yes I know I have two other books on the go, but once I get stuck in to one of hers that is it... :D

And finished it this afternoon rather than in bed and falling asleep.

Started Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett yesterday and already over halfway through. The Discworld books are just so enjoyable - it's so easy to lose yourself in the story and characters. I am missing Rincewind though...  :giggle2:

Started Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett yesterday and already over halfway through. The Discworld books are just so enjoyable - it's so easy to lose yourself in the story and characters. I am missing Rincewind though... :giggle2:

He'll be back... ;)

Granny Weatherwax is another great recurring character though, along with the other witches you'll eventually meet.