Your Book Activity - September 2015

Athena

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He'll be back... ;)

Granny Weatherwax is another great recurring character though, along with the other witches you'll eventually meet.

Ooh goody!

She's awesome! To be fair, I'm actually really enjoying the storyline for this one as well. I get the feeling I'm going to be saying that a lot considering I have many, many more books to go in the series. :lol:

Perhaps I should dig out the Discworld thread so I can plot my progress...

You make me want to read another Discworld book, Ben!

Do! They're superb. :D

Edited by Ben

Nearly finished 'The Lost Daughter' ~ Diane Chamberlain....and yes I know I have two other books on the go, but once I get stuck in to one of hers that is it... :D

I really enjoyed this one when I read is a couple of years ago. I must read more of her books.

What is your definition of critical mass? I'm not good with self-imposed book bans, though I'd like to think I have cut down quite a bit.

Well, my TBR pile is now so large, it's generating its own gravitational field, judging by the fact that I find myself drawn to it every time I see it!

Well, my TBR pile is now so large, it's generating its own gravitational field, judging by the fact that I find myself drawn to it every time I see it!

:lol: Nice one. :lol:

I'm just over the halfway mark in The Stand. :boogie: I think it's going to keep me busy for a while.

Edited by bobblybear

Decided to re-read the "original" Millennium trilogy at the same time as my girlfriend (for however long that lasts--I'm a quicker reader) in preparation for reading The Girl in the Spider's Web, which I bought on publication but didn't want to start until I'd had a refresher with the other books. Going well with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo so far.

Edited by Ben

What is your definition of critical mass? I'm not good with self-imposed book bans, though I'd like to think I have cut down quite a bit.

:lol:!

I finished Lauren Oliver - Before I Fall and am thinking of re-reading David B. Coe - The Lontobyn Chronicle 1: Children of Amarid. I read the first chapter and like it so far, but I'm worried it won't live up to my high expectations of re-reading it. I've read it several times but not in the past five years. This was the trilogy that got me into (adult epic high) fantasy. So what if it's not as enjoyable now that I know what's going to happen :hide:..

:lol:!

I finished Lauren Oliver - Before I Fall and am thinking of re-reading David B. Coe - The Lontobyn Chronicle 1: Children of Amarid. I read the first chapter and like it so far, but I'm worried it won't live up to my high expectations of re-reading it. I've read it several times but not in the past five years. This was the trilogy that got me into (adult epic high) fantasy. So what if it's not as enjoyable now that I know what's going to happen :hide:..

:readingtwo: !  I do hope you enjoy the re read.

I aim to finish up Make Me by Lee Child today and get started on Lauren Oliver's Requiem.  I also amused myself by making up a reading plan for the rest of September and for October, I am quite pleased :giggle2:

:lol: Nice one. :lol:

I'm just over the halfway mark in The Stand. :boogie: I think it's going to keep me busy for a while.

Have you read it before?  Should I say, that I loved it? :hide:   Maybe not........... :lurker:

Decided to re-read the "original" Millennium trilogy at the same time as my girlfriend (for however long that lasts--I'm a quicker reader) in preparation for reading The Girl in the Spider's Web, which I bought on publication but didn't want to start until I'd had a refresher with the other books. Going well with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo so far.

Yeah, me too. 

Also received from Amazon, today, John Banville's new one, The Blue Guitar.  /sigh/ 

Yeah, me too. 

Also received from Amazon, today, John Banville's new one, The Blue Guitar.  /sigh/ 

Nice one! How are you finding it? I forgot how slow the beginning of the first book was... but ploughing through because I know it picks up quickly!

I'm 250 pages into Blue at the Mizzen, the twentieth and final completed novel in Patrick O'Brian's 'Aubrey/Maturin' series.  One chapter left to go.  Forty pages.  And then it's over  :cry:

I can't believe you're already into the last book in the epicly long series :o  :empathy:

I finished reading The Lie by C. L. Taylor and have absolutely no idea what to read next. Mojo seems to be feeling very restless :( 

I can't believe you're already into the last book in the epicly long series :o  :empathy:

I know!  I can't quite believe myself that I've read 13 of them this year  :o   That's unlucky, isn't it?  Fortunately I can count The Final Unfinished Journey of Jack Aubrey, which I shall read over the weekend, as well and make it 14  :giggle2:

I know!  I can't quite believe myself that I've read 13 of them this year  :o   That's unlucky, isn't it?  Fortunately I can count The Final Unfinished Journey of Jack Aubrey, which I shall read over the weekend, as well and make it 14  :giggle2:

:lol: :lol: Thank goodness! What's the total page number of all the books? 

:readingtwo: !  I do hope you enjoy the re read.

I aim to finish up Make Me by Lee Child today and get started on Lauren Oliver's Requiem.  I also amused myself by making up a reading plan for the rest of September and for October, I am quite pleased :giggle2:

I am enjoying it so far :readingtwo::D! Woohoo for making a reading plan. I hope you enjoy Requiem!

:lol: Yeah, I've read it before many times....it's my most-read book and probably my favourite book of all time. This must be around the 10th time I've read it. :lol:

Wow, that is a lot of times of re-reading such a long book! I don't think there are any books over 1,000 pages that I've read 10 times.

I have no idea.  Probably around 7,000 at an average of 350 per book :shrug:  I hope you're not expecting me to go and check :lol:

I come to a total of 7,028 using the page counts of the editions on GoodReads that match the covers in your thread. The average is 351.4. So your guess is quite accurate!

And no, that didn't take me that long to find out. I love numbers :giggle2:.

Nice one! How are you finding it? I forgot how slow the beginning of the first book was... but ploughing through because I know it picks up quickly!

Blue Guitar isn't one of the Quirke/Black series, it's one of his stand alones.  The next Quirke is coming out in January of next year. 

Haven't started it yet, in any case.  I'll get to it though. :)

:lol: Yeah, I've read it before many times....it's my most-read book and probably my favourite book of all time. This must be around the 10th time I've read it. :lol:

Shudda known!!  LOL

.....I've gotten about 30% through The Silence by Tim Lebbon.  I wish I could remember who it was that recommended it to me....on here it was.  It's taken me a long time to start it. 

Actually, last night I read quite a bit of it, and decided that I wouldn't read anymore....I was reading before bed and couldn't get those images out of my mind.  But this morning I was talking to my husband about it, and since we share our books on kindle, he said he'd put it on his kindle.  So, we are reading it together, more or less. :)  And, it's growing on me more and more.  The writing is very low key, but riveting all the same.

Charles compared the beginning to the beginning of Orson Welles' beginning of War of the Worlds.  And it's true.....parts are rather documentary-like.