Your Book Activity - September 2015

Athena

Wow, it's September already! Can you believe it :o?

I'm currently reading the Mistborn Trilogy annotations by Brandon Sanderson (found on his website). It's quite interesting to read his thoughts on why he wrote a certain chapter or why he wrote certain things in certain ways.

What are you reading?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished Mark Z Danielewski's House of Leaves today. What an epic book!

Now that my mojo appears to have returned, I've picked up Alan Bradley's The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag again.

In other book activity, I reloaded a couple of bookcases with books that I'd packed away during my renovation. I just had have my small bookcase to go now.

I finished Mark Z Danielewski's House of Leaves today. What an epic book!

Oh wow! :thud: I gave up on it, because all the footnotes and different writing styles got me in such a muddle, and I couldn't work out which section to read first, etc. I still have it in my loft coz I will definitely give it another shot.

My fiction mojo has come back, so I've been reading The Atlantis Gene by A G Riddle. Some of it is a bit far-fetched, but it's the kind of thing I need at the moment. :D  I'm also in the mood to re-read The Stand, so when I finish this one I think I'll get started on it (unless I change my mind :P )

I've been reading Beyond The Great Indoors by Ingvar Ambjornsen, alongside Asking For It. It's one of those books, along with Creepy and Maud (which was very good), which I've wanted to read for ages but which was pretty expensive to buy on Amazon and unavailable on Book Depository. In the end, I went for Kindle editions of both, even though I already know 50 pages in that I'm gonna want a hard copy of Indoors because it's awesome.

I'm currently about a hundred pages into Sanderson's The Final Empire. I'm enjoying it, but one of the main characters is getting on my nerves a bit - he's way too full of himself. :giggle2:

Is it Kelsier? I really like Vin.

I'm currently reading Lauren Oliver - Delirium 1: Delirium which is enjoyable so far :). I look forward to see where the story will go, it is interesting but on occasion a little bit slow (at least compared with some other books I've read). I read quite a bit in it yesterday, I should be able to finish it before the read-a-thon that starts this Friday.

My fiction mojo has come back, so I've been reading The Atlantis Gene by A G Riddle. Some of it is a bit far-fetched, but it's the kind of thing I need at the moment. :D

I was looking at that one the other week and thought 'Nah . . . '  :giggle2:

Well, I was reading Kill Shot, the second of Vince Flynn's 'Mitch Rapp' books, because it was the kind of 'no concentration required' rubbish I felt I needed whilst I was on jury service.  Got about halfway through it but, now I'm not on jury service anymore, I can't be bothered to finish it :lol:

So I dumped it - thankfully it only cost me 99p  :D  I'd been promising myself for ages that, as soon as jury service was over, I'd tuck in to the last three 'Aubrey/Maturin' books, so this morning I have made a start on Patrick O'Brian's The Yellow Admiral:D

I was looking at that one the other week and thought 'Nah . . . '  :giggle2:

It's a bit silly and far too long (I'm only half way through, and I was thinking I must be around the 90% mark), but I seem to be getting through it ok. I have the sequel as well......they must have been on offer.

Finished We Are All Made Of Stars by Rowan Coleman. Beautifully written, very emotional but a few annoying spelling mistakes/grammatical errors that really shouldn't happen with such a popular and high volume selling author.

Edited by chaliepud

Finished We Are All Made Of Stars by Rowan Coleman. Beautifully written, very emotional but a few annoying spelling mistakes/grammatical effort that really shouldn't happen with such a popular and high volume selling author.

Glad you enjoyed that, it's on my TBR :)

Is it Kelsier? I really like Vin.

How did you know? ;) Yes, it's Kelsier - I'm finding him to be very unsympathetic and rather annoying. I really like Vin, though. :)

So I dumped it - thankfully it only cost me 99p  :D  I'd been promising myself for ages that, as soon as jury service was over, I'd tuck in to the last three 'Aubrey/Maturin' books, so this morning I have made a start on Patrick O'Brian's The Yellow Admiral:D

Ooh, enjoy! :D

I've stated two books - I'm about 80 pages into The Lie Tree and really enjoying it already, but only had my Kindle with me for a while yesterday, so also started The Tent, The Bucket and Me by Emma Kennedy, which has been made in to a television series and is due to be broadcast shortly, so I want to try and read it before it starts!

Hello,

I am reading So You Want to be a Wizard? by Diane Duane. So far, it is really good. I absolutely love the way that Duane writes because she makes it seem as if you are really there and it also is very easy to understand what she means.

P.S. Has anyone here read this series? I want to know if it continues being just as good.....

Just finished Little Bee by Chris Cleaver. I would rate it at 5 stars except for the ending. I was just SO disappointed in not know what Little Bee's fate was after being arrested by the Nigerian police. I so wanted a "happy ending" but it was not to be. Its almost like the Diary of Ann Frank,

where her diary just ends and you don't find out til much later that she died in a concentration camp.

Overall though, the book was fascinating although sometimes too wordy. One of the protagonists "Sarah" would ask Little Bee a simple question and Little Bee would give a ten minute dialogue where she and her sister are running through the jungle and get lost, etc, etc, etc and then she'll finally come back to the present and answer "yes." Um, what was the question again? lol!

Edited by Athena
Edited for spoilers

I'm still reading and enjoying Lauren Oliver's Pandemonium (Delirium Book 2) and The Kingmakers Daughter (Cousins War series book 4) by Philippa Gregory.  Looking forward to starting the read a thon this weekend and reading some shorter books.  I hope to at least finish the Gregory today.  Then, it will be on to book 5 :)  6 days til the new Jack Reacher!! :exc:

Edited by Anna Begins

I've been reading Beyond The Great Indoors by Ingvar Ambjornsen, alongside Asking For It. It's one of those books, along with Creepy and Maud (which was very good), which I've wanted to read for ages but which was pretty expensive to buy on Amazon and unavailable on Book Depository. In the end, I went for Kindle editions of both, even though I already know 50 pages in that I'm gonna want a hard copy of Indoors because it's awesome.

Very happy to hear you're enjoying the novel! :smile2: The characters are like no other :D 

I'm in the middle of Small Steps by Louis Sachar, still. Haven't been feeling like reading lately.