Peacefield's Literary Life in 2016

Peacefield

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy Reading in 2016 !  :D

I hope you like The Lake of Dead Languages ; I`ve read a few of Carol Goodman`s books ( and particularly liked the trilogy which started with  Incubus ).

I`ve moved An Instance of the Fingerpost higher up in my wishlist, and Kimpled The Swan Thieves ( I read The Historian and quite enjoyed it, and hadn`t realised she`d written a second book). Thanks for the heads up.  :D

Great bookshelves !  :smile:

Hey, guys!  I thought it was time I revive my own personal book blog after not having done so in a year or two.  What I slacker, huh? :lol:

Between work and other hobbies/interests I can't seem to keep my hands out of, my reading life is steady although a bit slow at times.  I also may have many books on my wishlist and TBR shelves, but my mood dictates everything so when I finish one book it sometimes can take me a bit to decide what to read next.  I also might look at my shelves and think everything is all wrong so I'll go out and find something new or re-read a book, which I like to do too, if I'm in the mood ;).

I really read any genre of book, with a heavy bent towards historical fiction or any type of mystery to do with art or literature.  Until a few years ago I never even so much as dipped a toe in the supernatural world but now I love it, and the same goes for YA.  I've never read any fantasy (i.e. George R.R. Martin-type books) but I'd be open to it.  In short, feel free to throw recommendations at me, I love them! :D

Below is a a combo of my wishlist and TBR books, plus some re-reads I'd like to do in the future.  

The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern

Glassblower of Murano - Marina Fiorato

High Fidelity - Nick Hornby

Lake of Dead Languages -Carol Goodman

Let's Kill Uncle - Rohan O'Grady

Forgotten Garden - Kate Morton

House at Riverton - Kate Morton

The Last Bookaneer - Matthew Pearl

Wind Up Bird Chronicle - Haruki Murakami

Luncheon of the Boating Party - Susan Vreeland

Bellman & Black - Diane Setterfield

One Thousand White Women - Jim Fergus

Delicate Edible Birds - Lauren Groff

Arcadia -Lauren Groff

Conversion - Katherine Howe

The Appearance of Annie van Sinderen - Katherine Howe

The Art Thief - Noah Charney

How to Buy a Love of Reading - Tanya Egan Gibson

The Girl on the Train - Paula Hawkins

Nerd Do Well - Simon Pegg

The Eye of Zoltar (Chronicles of Kazam book 3) - Jasper Fforde

Shades of Grey - Jasper Fforde

Forever - Maggie Steifvater

Sinner - Maggie Steifvater

Boundary Waters - William Kent Krueger

Popco - Scarlett Thomas

Underdogs - Marcus Zusak

The Emigrants - Johan Bojer

Peder Victorious - O.E. Rolvaag

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell - Susanna Clarke

Cut to the Quick - Kate Ross (re-read)

Broken Vessel - Kate Ross (re-read)

Whom the Gods Love - Kate Ross (re-read)

The Devil in Music - Kate Ross (re-read)

The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas (re-read)

Instance of the Fingerpost - Iain Pears (re-read)

Physic Book of Deliverance Dane - Katherine Howe (re-read)

The Fountainhead - Ayn Rand (re-read)

The Dante Club - Matthew Pearl (re-read)

Great list my friend, I am looking forward to hearing what you think of 'The Wind Up Bird Chronicle', I love 'Underdogs', 'Arcadia'.  Happy reading!  :readingtwo:

Edited by Weave

I loved The Night Circus and Lake of Dead Languages, I like Carol Goodman but have to say I gave up on the Incubus trilogy halfway through the second book - there was just too much of the various fights with all the different fairies - I like urban fantasy and can do vampires and werewolves and don't mind a bit of the fae, but just found it all got a bit repetitive in the second book.

I also really enjoyed The Dante Club.

Thanks everyone for your reading good wishes! :D

Little Pixie, thanks for mentioning more of Carol Goodman's books, I have taken note, and yay for the moving up of IOTF!  That is in my top 10 reasons of all time.  You must let me know when you finally get to read it.  Have you read any other Iain Pears?

I love Dante Club so much, Madeleine.  I finished reading that book while on a trip to the east coast and it was so amazing to be sitting in the Craigie-Longfellow home and walking on Brattle Street at the same time.  I also visited Mt. Auburn Cemetery and was able to see the graves of Longfellow, Holmes and Lowell there.  Have you read any of Pearl's other books?

Thanks, Paula, and thank you as ever for sending me Wind Up Bird Chronicle and Underdogs! :D

Speaking of gifts from Paula, I recently finished Station Eleven and adored it.  I've checked another post-apocalyptic read off my list!  No wonder Emily St. John Mandel was nominated for a book award for it.  I've never read anything like it and the story was so gripping.

This morning I read the first page of Arcadia.  I can't wait to get into it!

Thanks everyone for your reading good wishes! :D

Little Pixie, thanks for mentioning more of Carol Goodman's books, I have taken note, and yay for the moving up of IOTF!  That is in my top 10 reasons of all time.  You must let me know when you finally get to read it.  Have you read any other Iain Pears?

I haven`t - he`s one of those authors I keep seeing and then I think I`ll get to him one day - but then I get distracted by books with cats solving murders.  ;)

It`s a whole genre.  :giggle2:  Lilian Jackson Braun and Rita Mae Brown are particular favourites.  :D

Rita lives on a farm near Charlottesville, Virginia. There is a bookstore in Charlottesville with all the Cat books. :) I have been in the bookstore, it is a very nice and neat store.

I've seen those cat books, and I love the wee paw prints marching across the covers  :giggle:.  I'd love to visit that bookstore, Muggle Not!

I squeezed in as much reading as I could this weekend, which only amounted to about 75 pages, but I am thoroughly hooked on Arcadia!  I don't know what it is but I feel like a kid whose imagination is running wild!  Every page is a thing of beauty.  If you're reading this Iain Pears, I love you! :lol:

I finished Arcadia yesterday and am still happily digesting and pondering its contents.  Iain Pears is truly an amazing writer and deserves so much attention and praise.  I'm always happy to share and recommend him and this book is one I will pass along happily.  

Interestingly, there was also an app created alongside this book.  I'm not sure how often that's been done before, but it helped give a visual account of each character and their 'track' their story was on.  It also helped to refer to it as keeping 10 character's path, which took place in the future and in the past, clear and straight to the reader.

As you can probably tell, the gist of this book is sort of hard to explain.  It basically takes one professor's fictional storytelling, which he's writing in 1960's London, and turns it into a real place with real characters.  At the same time, people in his life are able to travel into that fictional land from the present and future.  It's magical I tell you, magical!  :yes: 

Alan Bradley has a new Flavia de Luce book coming out in September. Looking forward to the release.

Thrice the Brinded Cat Hath Mew'd: A Flavia de Luce Novel Hardcover – September 20, 2016

In spite of being ejected from Miss Bodycote’s Female Academy in Canada, twelve-year-old Flavia de Luce is excited to be sailing home to England. But instead of a joyous homecoming, she is greeted on the docks with unfortunate news: Her father has fallen ill, and a hospital visit will have to wait while he rests. But with Flavia’s blasted sisters and insufferable cousin underfoot, Buckshaw now seems both too empty—and not empty enough. Only too eager to run an errand for the vicar’s wife, Flavia hops on her trusty bicycle, Gladys, to deliver a message to a reclusive wood-carver. Finding the front door ajar, Flavia enters and stumbles upon the poor man’s body hanging upside down on the back of his bedroom door. The only living creature in the house is a feline that shows little interest in the disturbing scene. Curiosity may not kill this cat, but Flavia is energized at the prospect of a new investigation. It’s amazing what the discovery of a corpse can do for one’s spirits. But what awaits Flavia will shake her to the very core.

Rita lives on a farm near Charlottesville, Virginia. There is a bookstore in Charlottesville with all the Cat books. :) I have been in the bookstore, it is a very nice and neat store.

I had a look at some Charlottesville bookshop pics ; I like the look of Daedalus, with books crammed everywhere. :)

I had a look at some Charlottesville bookshop pics ; I like the look of Daedalus, with books crammed everywhere. :)

Charlottesville is a wonderful little town with great bookstores and a beautiful library. Many authors also live there and also some movie stars, etc. I so miss living there although we still visit sometimes. Our dentist in Charlottesville is also the dentist of John Grisham. :) On our last visit I took a picture from our hotel window of the Martha Jefferson Hospital:

post-3652-0-30452400-1457989706_thumb.jpg

Edited by muggle not

Thanks for the news on the new Flavia book, Muggle Not!  Too bad it's not coming out sooner.  Love that series!

That's a beautiful view from your hotel :D.  I've never visited Charlottesville but would really like to one day.  The SE corner of the US is the one are I've yet to venture into, which is sad since I think I've been to almost every other state in the union.  

I started the 3rd book in Cork O'Connor series last night, Purgatory Ridge.  Looks to be pretty exciting!  I looked at WK Krueger's website and he's got quite a lot of events coming up this year, with lots in MN, so that's exciting!  He's having a launch party for his new book, Manitou Canyon, in September.  I have hopes to see him in May when he'll be doing a reading only a couple miles from my house! :D

Charlottesville is a wonderful little town with great bookstores and a beautiful library. Many authors also live there and also some movie stars, etc. I so miss living there although we still visit sometimes. Our dentist in Charlottesville is also the dentist of John Grisham. :) On our last visit I took a picture from our hotel window of the Martha Jefferson Hospital:

That`s such a lovely pic.  :D

I can tell I'm on vacation, I managed to finish a book in 7 days, which is not usually the case with me! :lol:  I really enjoyed Purgatory Ridge and am looking forward to reading more in the series.  

Today I'll start The Asylum by John Harwood.  This is my third Harwood book thanks to Weave, who has gifted me all of them! :D

I'm so very happy to intrigue you with Pears, Kylie! :giggle:   Instance of the Fingerpost is an amazing piece of fiction and pretty much epitomizes my favorite type of book.  You can probably say the same about Pears himself!  

I am, Athena.  I love being able to have so much reading time.  If only I didn't have to wait another 20+ years before I retire! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I finished At the Edge of the Orchard on Saturday.  There's a special place in my heart for Tracy Chevalier's writing and that was reaffirmed after reading this latest of hers.  How she always knows which subjects interest me the most and then writes about them is pretty miraculous :lol: 

Orchard was an especially peaceful book, I thought, and I learned a LOT.  Not only about trees, but also about certain aspects of American pioneer life in the midwest as well as on the west coast.  Plus, who knew that it was a 'thing' to have giant Sequoias and Redwoods on English estates in the 1800's??  

Such a lovely read :D.  Here is a synopsis from Amazon since I'm sure my little blurb wasn't much of a review ;)

1838: James and Sadie Goodenough have settled where their wagon got stuck – in the muddy, stagnant swamps of northwest Ohio. They and their five children work relentlessly to tame their patch of land, buying saplings from a local tree man known as John Appleseed so they can cultivate the fifty apple trees required to stake their claim on the property. But the orchard they plant sows the seeds of a long battle. James loves the apples, reminders of an easier life back in Connecticut; while Sadie prefers the applejack they make, an alcoholic refuge from brutal frontier life.

1853: Their youngest child Robert is wandering through Gold Rush California. Restless and haunted by the broken family he left behind, he has made his way alone across the country. In the redwood and giant sequoia groves he finds some solace, collecting seeds for a naturalist who sells plants from the new world to the gardeners of England. But you can run only so far, even in America, and when Robert’s past makes an unexpected appearance he must decide whether to strike out again or stake his own claim to a home at last. 

Yes, one of my favorite genres, Bobbly!

After finishing the Chevalier I started Maggie Steifvater's Lament and am a little over halfway through.  It's pretty good, but I believe I more prefer her 'Mercy Falls' books.  For some reason her faerie premise isn't as promising as wolves!  This one is also throwing me off a bit because without realizing it I purchased a UK copy.  No biggie reading words with a 'u' in them, but the metric measurements and words like 'boot' and 'tarmac' make me pause :lol:  Oh, and 'vest' tops!  I forgot what those are, can someone remind me?  :giggle: 

I'm used to those words here on BCF, but not necessarily in my reading ;).