The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster

frankie

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to finish it because I'm halfway through, but it's not the kind of thing I like either I'm afraid. The wordplay is very funny, and very clever in parts, but it feels like a bunch of random stuff has been written solely for the purpose of wordplay rather than that the wordplay arises from any kind of coherent plot. I guess it's too whimsical for me, I prefer (even childrens books) that are a bit darker and more mature. It has made me laugh a few times though, and I'm happy to finish it :)

Sorry to hear that it's not your cup of tea Nollaig :(  

Aw, that's a shame, Chaliepud. :( Now I'm worried no one else will like it either. :( The word play is what I love most about it. :)

Don't feel discouraged! :empathy:  Chalie said that she's not usually one to read children's fiction, and Nollaig also said that it's not the sort of book she'd usually read as she likes a bit darker things. There's still a bunch of us left! 

Is everyone else going to start today? We've still not heard from poppyshake who's been busy with a number of things and personally I'd like to wait for her, even if she might not have the time to read the book now. That doesn't mean that everyone else has to wait, though! Just curious to hear where people are at :) 

I still haven't finished my book club book (although I nearly have), and was planning so start next. I'm happy to wait until everyone's ready though. :)

That would be swell! :) Do you have any other books you could easily read in between, though? Well duh, of course you have other books, but do you have anything you'd be happy to start reading? If there's nothing and the mood takes you, don't let us make you wait! After all, poppyshake still doesn't probably even know about the group read and so she might not want to join and then I would've made you wait for nothing :blush:

Kell, do you already have a copy? When were you thinking about starting the book? :)

I know Kylie's reading the very scary book which is also a very long book (with a bit of empty space in between lines and pages... :D ), and I of course can't speak for her, but I would think that she might be okay with waiting for a bit longer... But of course she can speak for herself! :) Kylie, come and speak for yourself! :D 

Edited by frankie

That would be swell! :) Do you have any other books you could easily read in between, though? Well duh, of course you have other books, but do you have anything you'd be happy to start reading? If there's nothing and the mood takes you, don't let us make you wait! After all, poppyshake still doesn't probably even know about the group read and so she might not want to join and then I would've made you wait for nothing :blush:

Yes, I've plenty to be getting on with! :D

And yay - I'm glad you're joining in, Kay. :)

You didn't keep us waiting, Kay, I did, because I started the thread too early  :doh:  :blush::giggle2: 

Good to hear you've got plenty of bookalicious to content yourself with before TPT :D I'm in the middle of another book and it's a slow read for me, for some reason... Personally I don't know if I can start before Saturday. How's about you guys? 

I'm sorry to say that things at the apartment and with landlord/ess have escalated and am now mega stressed and so I don't know if I can read any book at the moment. You can all go ahead and start without me if you wish. 

Sorry to hear you're stressed, Frankie. :(

I finished it a couple of days ago. It was very clever and very funny in parts, but as I said previously to me it felt like a story being arbitrarily made up for the purpose of making a bunch of puns. Still, worth reading for the entertainment, because it really is very clever in parts, and I can understand why a lot of people like it. :) 

Do you like it, Janet? I'm scared to ask...  :lurker:

I'm scared to answer!  :lurker:  I've made several attempts at a reply, so here goes!

I was actually discussing it with my Mum earlier today - I said to her that it was your favourite book and that the two other people who had reported back so far hadn't loved it - and that I was worried you'd be upset if I said I didn't love it either.  However, I cannot tell a lie so I shall be totally honest when I've finished.

What I will say now is that I'm not hating it by any means, but I'm not loving it either.  However, I'm not very far in - 70/256 pages - so there's still plenty of time.  :)  I do agree with Noll that what I've read so far is clever.

(Sorry it's not a more enthusiastic post  :hug:  )

I'm about three quarters of the way through and enjoying it :) I'm having to concentrate .. it's so clever .. I've probably missed some of the word play but it's fascinating me. I was a bit of a dim child so not sure how much of it I would have understood back then ... Enid was about my level but I feel more up to the task now :blush2:  It's very fast paced which I like and intriguing .. I have no idea how it's going to end but it's a weird and wonderful journey. Also it's very visual .. it would be even without the illustrations but they enhance it enormously  :smile:  

Are you still speaking to me?  :wibbly:

Aw, poor Janet! Of course I'm still speaking to you!  :empathy:  :flowers2: I'm a bit sad that so many of you haven't enjoyed it as much as I'd hoped, but I'm glad you at least all appreciate its cleverness. :) (I think it'll be a while before I dare to recommend a book again  :hide: Sorry I hyped it up so much!)

Now I'm not sure whether Poppyshake is actually enjoying as much as she said, or if she's just scared to upset me.  :lol:

(I think it'll be a while before I dare to recommend a book again  :hide: Sorry I hyped it up so much!)

Phew - I'd hate to upset you.  And please, don't stop recommending books.  I'm on p144 now and it's so clever - all that wonderful wordplay.  :)  I am enjoying reading it - I just don't love it. 

I know for certain that had I read it as a child I would have loved it - and I can see why people say it reminds them of Alice in Wonderland.  I dare say if I read that for the first time now I wouldn't enjoy that half as much as I do having loved it as a child.  :)

Aw, poor Janet! Of course I'm still speaking to you!  :empathy:  :flowers2: I'm a bit sad that so many of you haven't enjoyed it as much as I'd hoped, but I'm glad you at least all appreciate its cleverness. :) (I think it'll be a while before I dare to recommend a book again  :hide: Sorry I hyped it up so much!)

Now I'm not sure whether Poppyshake is actually enjoying as much as she said, or if she's just scared to upset me.  :lol:

Don't be daft .. of course not :hug: I remember telling you last time that I was enjoying it .. only I got ill and put it to one side .. I think I got a third of the way through then.

The only reason I didn't start it again was that it reminded me of that time but that's just silly .. I soon forgot about it once I got stuck in again. 

People are always not liking my recommendations :lol: :lol: :lol: .. I add a disclaimer now!  :giggle: 

• 4 months later...

I feel bad about being the one who started the thread so we could read the book and discuss it together, and then couldn't finish it myself! :blush: But I've now read it and I've posted my thoughts on it in my reading log. Overall, I really loved it! :smile2: The word play was so clever that it seems like it was out of this world!!! No wonder Kylie loves it so much. I remember the time when a professor was recommending The Eyre Affair to us in class, and it's made me wonder why no one in the English department ever recommended this book, because this is just the sort of thing language students would love!

There's this one particular quote that just blew my mind away, and I felt so happy that I'd noticed it and not just rushed through it without getting it. But I can't remember what it was  :weeping:

I find it absolutely hilarious that I read somewhere that the book has been translated into many different languages. Because this is the sort of book that is just simply impossible to translate!! It just doesn't work in the same way in any other language than English. A translator's nightmare :D Also, I remember how Alice in Wonderland was always spoken so highly of in English classes and professors talked about how it was impossible to translate into other languages because there's so much play on words... I think The Phantom Tollbooth kicks Alice in Wonderland's arse x 1000!!