The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster

frankie

I've had this book on my TBR for a long long time. Since 2010, I believe. Kylie got it for me at the book fair we went to when I was living with her. I've tried reading the book twice, and I've simply loved every page of it, but there was always something that got in the way of me finishing the novel. It was nothing to do with the book as it was really clever and funny, it was just my mojo or what have you, playing with me. 

I know there are a few of you who own a copy and want to read it, and some have already suggested that we could read the book together when we get to it. Now, instead of waiting for that to happen, I thought I'd create a thread for it and make it happen. I really want to read the book, and it would be towards the Booktubeathon challenge for me, too. 

Who's with me? :smile2: I know poppyshake, chaliepud and Jänet own a copy of the book.... I did a search on the reading logs on here and didn't find anyone else who had it on their TBR pile. 

For those of you who don't know anything about the book I'm talking about: from Amazon: 

"Hailed as “a classic. . . . humorous, full of warmth and real invention” (The New Yorker), this beloved story--first published more than fifty ago--introduces readers to Milo and his adventures in the Lands Beyond. 

For Milo, everything’s a bore. When a tollbooth mysteriously appears in his room, he drives through only because he’s got nothing better to do. But on the other side, things seem different. Milo visits the Island of Conclusions (you get there by jumping), learns about time from a ticking watchdog named Tock, and even embarks on a quest to rescue Rhyme and Reason! Somewhere along the way, Milo realizes something astonishing. Life is far from dull. In fact, it’s exciting beyond his wildest dreams. . . ."

And there are 1,325 customer reviews, and it's gotten 4,7 out of 5 stars :smile2: 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me me me! :exc:  I was so happy to see this thread created by you. You've made my day! :D

I haven't read it since I bought a gorgeous hardback annotated edition, so I'll read it again with you. :) I can contribute by typing out some of the more interesting annotations.

I'll have to see if I can get hold of a copy - I read it as a child and I remember loving it, but I don't remember much about the story at all, so it'd be interesting to go back and re-read it now. :)

So awesome to have all you guys join me! :smile2:  As for when we start, I would personally like to wait till I've also heard from poppyshake if she likes to join us, as I know she has a copy and would love to read the book some day. She's vacationing at the moment, I can't remember the exact day she will be returning but I know she'll be home on the 20th at the latest. Meaning this Thursday. 

Sorry for that, I guess I didn't expect you all to be so quick to respond! :lol::blush: 

But of course if you already want to get to reading the book, nobody's stopping you! :) 

When is the last time you read the book? It'll be extra special for you now that you have a new copy that's got all that extra stuff on it :smile2:

Oops, I forgot to answer your question.  :blush2: I last read it in 2012 and before that in 2009 (also the first time I read it), so I guess I'm forming a pattern of reading it every three years! :D

I might start reading it soon, but I'll read slowly. House of Leaves is freaking me out a bit :lurker:, so The Phantom Tollbooth will be perfect to lighten the mood a bit when I need it. :)

Oops, I forgot to answer your question.  :blush2: I last read it in 2012 and before that in 2009 (also the first time I read it), so I guess I'm forming a pattern of reading it every three years! :D

Not bad! :D  I love funny, coincidental patterns like that :D 

Poppyshake's not been around yet, and we've not heard from chaliepud, either... Although I've seen her presence in this thread once or twice when I've been checking it out myself... (I'm such a stalker :D  :lurker: ) I think I'm going to go to chalie's log and nudge her a bit :giggle2: 

On the other hand, perhaps Chalie is just a super stealthy ninja that goes easily unnoticed? :lol:

Or maybe Chalie is some kind of super hacker and hacked into the forum to stealthily insert her first message so it looked like it had been there all along.  :ontome:

Or maybe Chalie is some kind of super hacker and hacked into the forum to stealthily insert her first message so it looked like it had been there all along. :ontome:

Ha! Sadly my computer skills are more those of a 100 year old great granny who has never seen a computer before! :D

Or maybe Chalie is some kind of super hacker and hacked into the forum to stealthily insert her first message so it looked like it had been there all along.  :ontome:

Ha! Sadly my computer skills are more those of a 100 year old great granny who has never seen a computer before! :D

I think I've cracked the case! It was her tech savvy children whodunit!! Chalie was busy playing with Jojo and so she was unresponsive and her kids saw these messages and hacked into the system!!! 

And somebody on here said that my stalking needs improvement... Not only am I an excellent stalker, I'm a sleuth as well! :cool: 

Haha Sari, you've worked out our ploy!! :D

I'm afraid I have to admit that TPT is not for me, I quite enjoying the first quarter with the playing with words but it didn't last, I'm not a fan of children's books now I'm older and whilst I might see if Robbie would like it I don't think I will finish it on my own. :(