Birmingham Libraries to "stop buying books"

ian

I read about it in The Guardian.  It's incredible that Birmingham has that beautiful central library and yet the whole community of libraries aren't able to purchase new books.  I know there must be other areas of the council budget which require attention as well, but it's heartbreaking to see the detrimental effect on libraries which are such valuable resources for many, many people

It was discussed on the radio, which is where I first heard about it. They had a local MP and writer S.J.Watson. They had a statement from the council that whilst they aren't buying books, the libraries still have internet access and local groups etc. But as Mr Watson pointed out: libraries are about books!

To be fair to the council, they have worked to make sure that all Birmingham's libraries have remained open, where other cities have chosen to close local ones.

My old local library has had zero acquisitions budget for years, so until I moved away, they got all my books when I'd finished reading them. If they were duplicates, they sold them and bought new books with the cash raised, but mostly they went straight on the shelves.

It's so sad that local authorities aren't investing in their libraries any more. They'll disappear soon at this rate. :(

This is very sad.  But I also live in Birmingham and am also not surprised.  The Council has had to cut so many services I'm amazed there are any left at all.  

I'm sitting in my local one at the moment, using their wi-fi and listening to a father read to his children.   Would be a damn shame to lose the place.

Couldn't agree more. I like the idea of donating my used books to them. I know one local library here in Brum is doing that, but not sure which. 

• 2 weeks later...