Kindle eBook scandal.

Brian.

I listen to a lot of podcasts and one of them recently had an interview with a writer from thehustle.co about how the Kindle marketplace can be gamed. They claim to be making vast amounts of money abusing the system and there is a 3 part write up on their blog detailing how it's done.

Here is a link for anyone interested.

That's interesting, and also worrying to be honest. I think it's very dishonest to pay people to review something, it's just wrong. It shows something is wrong with the system though, if it can be exploited like this. I wouldn't know how to fix it, though. Personally, if a Kindle book has only got 5 star reviews I am worried straight away if the reviews are all actually for real. I always try to click on the lower star reviews if they exist, and see what those people have to say. I mainly read paperbooks, but on occasion I buy a Kindle book or download a free one.

I can't say that I'm too surprised about this. It was in the news as few weeks back that businesses were paying people to write good reviews of their places, so why not books?

That's why I'm forever trying to get people to see how good books forums like ours can be. Yes, a few of us get given review books (I actually trust the ones from here, and hope I do a fair job myself), but the vast majority read, review and discuss their own books, with no agenda. It's a great place to get real reviews. :)

I echo the sentiments of people here, I generally don't put too much credence in reviews on Amazon or Goodreads. It is a bit tricky when I am trying to find what book is the best in a given non-fiction niche and there aren't many reviews. That is one of the reasons why I still really like actual bookshops even though I love the convienience of the Kindle store.

With Kindle books, if I don't know the author, I always read the blurb thoroughly and look for bad grammar or spelling, or the use of too  many superlatives to describe something.

Then I'll glance at the reviews as sometimes they give a good indication of the type of reader who has enjoyed the book. Reviews say as much about the reviewer as they do about the writer of the book! Sometimes it is obvious that the reviewer has chosen poorly for their personal taste.And others look like someone's mum or dad! None of my family has given my books a written review. Grr.... but at least I can truly say the reviews are 100% genuine, no relations, no money changing hands, no swapsies.

And, most importantly, I always take a look at the 'Look Inside' feature because it gives me a chance to evaluate the writer's style. It is such a useful tool  to help a reader decide.

Thanks for the link, Brian, and I can see from that article that it must be extremely difficult to evaluate non fiction - that man and his whole array of self-help books on the same topic, just rearranging the words and titles - well my blood boiled.  :o

Edited by Anna Faversham

• 10 months later...

To be fair I don't bother to read reviews on books, I read the synopsis on the back of the book and make my mind up that way.

Since I have joined this book forum I take note of the books you guys read and I have found a few new authors I would not normally have taken note of.  Keep up the good work on here.

Eh, you don't need to pay people to give good reviews, more often then not you just need to give out review copies.

I'm in a few communities where you can win books for a review and some posts on a reading group thread. I'm very often astonished how well my fellow readers like books that I consider poor quality at best.

I don't usually give too much at full point reviews either, I like to read the middle ground once, they usually give the best insight on the good and the bad points.

I do read book reviews, sometimes after I've read a book (if it's a favourite author that I've read before) but if it's a new author then I do look at reviews and hope there's a balanced bunch of reviews on there.  I do occasionally get review copies either from publishers or magazines but I don't put reviews on Amazon.

I read the blurb on the back of books too, but sometimes after I've read the book I think the blurb bears no relation to what happens in the actual book!  A bit like film trailers which only show the best bits.... ;)

I believe that on Amazon 5 stars are given by friends and family while 1 star is given by the the competitors. Realistic review goes from 2-4. When it comes to books, I read reviews as its easy to spot genuine review.