BookTube-A-Thon August 3rd - August 9th 2015

Athena

As posted here in the 'Readathon' thread, there is a BookTube-A-Thon this week, from Monday August 3rd to Sunday August 9th 2015.

The Official YouTube Channel

The Official Twitter Account

The challenges:

1. Read a book with blue on the cover

2. Read a book by an author who shares the same first letter of your last name

3. Read someone else's favourite book

4. Read the last book you acquired

5. Finish a book without letting go of it

6. Read a book you really want to read

7. Read seven books

You are allowed to combine challenges. For example, if you have a book with blue on the cover that's also the last book you acquired, then that counts for those two challenges. The challenge to read 7 books doesn't mean to read 7 extra books outside of the ones you might already read for the other challenges, though if you want it to mean that you could certainly try :P.

This BookTube-A-Thon coincides with our monthly read-a-thon that takes place on Friday 7th August - Sunday 9th August and since there were a couple of people interested in doing these challenges, I'm making this thread so we can chat about our progress regarding this specific read-a-thon and its challenges.

I hope no one in the BookTube world, if they were to find this thread, is offended that we are having this discussion here and not through videos on YouTube. I don't want to make such videos, I mainly use my YouTube channels to post videos of our animals on occasion and to share them with my friends, and to comment on the YouTube videos of BookTubers I like.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it is! I did think about joining the past two years but it was so far never a good time for me so I didn't join it. I shall be making a list of my pile of books and post it soon. I hope you enjoy finishing your current read :). Happy reading, everyone!

For the challenge to read blue on the cover, I've got various books lined up that have blue on the cover, so this should be no problem. The same for the challenge to read a book without letting go of it, I'm reading several short books so I should be able to do this challenge with one of them.

For the book by an author who shares the same letter of my last name, I will be reading Geronimo Stilton - De Reis om de Wereld in 80 Dagen (Il Giro del Mondo in 80 Giorni) (or the other Stilton reads). Technically Stilton is a made up name for the team of authors but if that doesn't count it looks like I have two other authors in the list whose last name starts with an 'S' so it should work either way.

Someone else's favourite book will be Enid Blyton - De Dolle Tweeling 5-6: In Spanning & Overwint (St. Clare 5-6: Claudine at St. Clare's & Fifth Formers of St. Clare's), which is the Dutch edition but I don't have the English one. I did look at various other favourites but most I didn't feel in the mood for and they were also longer, more difficult reads, so I settled on this one in the end and was immediately happy I did (I read the first page and liked it).

The last book I acquired will be Tais Teng - De Zoon van de Slang or Bies van Ede - Het Duivelsbeeld, I bought them at the same time so if I feel like it I'll read both as they're pretty short.

For read a book you really want to read, that could be a variety of these books, so I haven't picked a specific one, yet at least. I'm excited about quite a few of them (or I wouldn't read them).

Here is the full list.

Definitely these:

Ann M. Martin - De BabySitter's Club 6: Een Grote Dag voor Gertie (Kristy's Big Day) (re-read)

Ann M. Martin - De BabySitter's Club 11: Gertie en de Snobs(Kristy and the Snobs) (re-read)

A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 49: De Cock en het Lijk op Drift

Disney - Donald Duck Dubbel Pocket 8 (re-read)

Tais Teng - De Zoon van de Slang

Bies van Ede - Het Duivelsbeeld

Enid Blyton - De Dolle Tweeling 5-6: In Spanning & Overwint (St. Clare 5-6: Claudine at St. Clare's & Fifth Formers of St. Clare's)

These if I get around to them:

Francine Oomen - De Computerheks 1: De Computerheks (re-read)

Robert Jordan, Chuck Dixon, Mike Miller and Harvey Tolibao - The Wheel of Time Graphic Novels 0: New Spring

Marie-José Balm, Jos van Hest and Marjolein Krijger - N46: Blauw: Mini-Informatie (re-read)

William van den Akker - N195: Voedsel Bewaren: Informatie (re-read)

Kjartan Poskitt (ill. Daniel Postgate) - Waanzinnig om te Weten: Echt Gigantisch Dat Heelal (The Knowledge: The Gobsmacking Galaxy) (re-read)

Paul Arnoldussen and Marja Baeten (ill. Joep Bertrams) - Die van Hiernaast en van de Overkant (re-read)

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 11: De Glimlach van Lisa (Il Sorriso Di Monna Topisa)

Hopefully these, because they are library loans.

Alice Pantermüller and Daniela Kohl - De Knotsgekke Wereld van Lotte Wirwar 1: Wat een Beestenboel! (Mein Lotta-Leben 1: Alles Voller Kaninchen)

Jeff Kinney - Het Leven van een Loser 7: Zwaar de Klos (Diary of a Wimpy Kid 7: The Third Wheel)

Tim Collins - Nurdius Maximus 1: Het Dagboek van Nurdius Maximus (Dorkius Maximus 1: Diary of Dorkius Maximus)

Tim Collins - Nurdius Maximus 2: Het Dagboek van Nurdius Maximus in Egypte (Dorkius Maximus 2: Diary of Dorkius Maximus in Egypt)

Tim Collins - Nurdius Maximus 3: Het Dagboek van Nurdius Maximus in Pompeï (Dorkius Maximus 3: Diary of Dorkius Maximus in Pompeii)

Geronimo Stilton - De Reis om de Wereld in 80 Dagen (Il Giro del Mondo in 80 Giorni)

Geronimo Stilton - Superhelden 3: De Aanval van de Krekelwroeters (Supereroi 3: L'Assalto dei Grillitalpa)

Jeanne Willis (ill. Jim Field) - SuperCat 2: SuperCat vs the Party Pooper

Philip Reeve and Sarah McIntyre - Cakes in Space

Kate Pankhurst - Mariella Mystery 5: Mariella Mystery Investigates the Spaghetti Yeti

Sally Gardner (ill. David Roberts) - Wings & Co 1: Operation Bunny

Jeremy Strong - The Hundred-Mile-An-Hour-Dog 1: Lost! The Hundred-Mile-An-Hour-Dog

Jeremy Strong - Cows, Chickens, Aliens And ... Orang-utans?! 3: Batpants!

Meg Cabot - Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls 1: Moving Day

Garth Nix - One Beastly Beast: Two Aliens, Three Inventors, Four Fantastic Tales

Jamie Rix - Grizzly Tales 1: Nasty Little Beasts: Cautionary Tales for Lovers of SQUEAM

Rory Growler - Me & My Monsters 4: Monster School!

Adny Stanton (ill. David Tazzyman) - Mr. Gum 7: Mr Gum and the Cherry Tree

Margaret Mahy (ill. Tony Ross) - Tale of a Tail

(most of them are pretty short books with big letters, I expect most of them will take no longer than an hour, possibly less than that).

What kind of books do you plan to read, Frankie? (I know you posted bits of it in your thread already, but maybe post it here too?)

That sounds like so much fun, I think you have the right idea Gaia, with the shorter books... it doesn't seem so daunting (Bonus, Divergent word :P ).  I wish I could take part, but I can't spend that much time away from Lady of the Rivers.  Which has blue on the cover.  I'd probably read Clive Barker's The Thief of Always and knock off the blue and my last name at the same time, its a short, quick read.  See!  I wanna do it!  Have fun, Frankie (and all who take part!)

I haven't got a lot of time this week but want to join in in a small way :) I've decided to read Alone in Berlin by Hans Fallada .. which is definitely blue :D

Good luck to all those taking part xx

Is that not a massive book! :o:D

Athena: That's a whole lotta books to read! :D Good luck!! 

Edit: As for moi self: 

1. Read a book with blue on the cover -Maybe Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn or Poppy Shakespeare 

2. Read a book by an author who shares the same first letter of your last name - Difficult   :D I could only think of Stephen King without resorting to my TBR list. I don't want to do any re-reads so these will be my choices: 

- Kazantzakis, Niko: Zorba the Greek 

- Kekki, Lasse & Kaisa Ilmonen: Pervot pidot – Homo-, lesbo- ja queer-näkökulmia kirjallisuudentutkimukseen 

- Kerouac, Jack: Maggie Cassidy

- Kilpi, Volter: Alastalon salissa

- King, Stephen: The Dark Half

- King, Stephen: Salem's Lot 

- Kirkland, Gelsey: Dancing on my Grave 

- Koren, Yehuda and Negev, Eilat: A Lover of Unreason: The Life and Tragic Death of Assia Wevill, Ted Hughes' Doomed Love

- Kosonen, Päivi: Naissubjekti & postmoderni 

3. Read someone else's favourite book - Maybe Phantom Tollbooth

4. Read the last book you acquired -  What Katy Did by Susan Coolidge

5. Finish a book without letting go of it - This would have to be a short, light one. Update: Might have to try and use this category for The Phantom Tollbooth, too! 

6. Read a book you really want to read - Too many to choose from!   - Perhaps The Opposite of Fate which I started back in 2012, making it to almost the very end but not quite finishing. I was just re-reading the Amy Tan thread and it reminded me of how much I enjoyed the book   :wub: 

Edited by frankie

That sounds like so much fun, I think you have the right idea Gaia, with the shorter books... it doesn't seem so daunting (Bonus, Divergent word :P ).  I wish I could take part, but I can't spend that much time away from Lady of the Rivers.  Which has blue on the cover.  I'd probably read Clive Barker's The Thief of Always and knock off the blue and my last name at the same time, its a short, quick read.  See!  I wanna do it!  Have fun, Frankie (and all who take part!)

Thanks  :)!

I haven't got a lot of time this week but want to join in in a small way :) I've decided to read Alone in Berlin by Hans Fallada .. which is definitely blue :D

Good luck to all those taking part xx

I hope you enjoy this book :)!

Athena: That's a whole lotta books to read! :D Good luck!!

Thanks, Frankie :)! Your list looks good too :).

Yesterday I read:

Monday 03-08-2015

45 mins, 120 pages, Ann M. Martin - De BabySitter's Club 6: Een Grote Dag voor Gertie (Kristy's Big Day) (re-read)

45 mins, 120 pages, Ann M. Martin - De BabySitter's Club 11: Gertie en de Snobs(Kristy and the Snobs) (re-read)

1h 10 mins, 139 pages, A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 49: De Cock en het Lijk op Drift

Total: 2h 40 mins, 379 pages

I read Ann M. Martin - De BabySitter's Club 6: Een Grote Dag voor Gertie (Kristy's Big Day) without letting go of it. It was difficult as towards the end I had to pee :giggle2:, but I held on! A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 49: De Cock en het Lijk op Drift has some blue on the cover (a light blue sky) so I guess that counts for that challenge.

I read Ann M. Martin - De BabySitter's Club 6: Een Grote Dag voor Gertie (Kristy's Big Day) without letting go of it. It was difficult as towards the end I had to pee :giggle2:, but I held on! A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 49: De Cock en het Lijk op Drift has some blue on the cover (a light blue sky) so I guess that counts for that challenge.

:lol: That's what I'm wondering about that particular challenge: to pee, or not to pee :D Diapers? Hmmm! :D 

:blush2: It didn't look that large when I picked it from the shelf .. but it does have approx 602 pages  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :D Oh boy!! 

Ah, then it's actually shorter than I thought :D But a big big book, still :D

I finally finished my current read and could then start the challenge! I'm now reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn, it will go towards 1. Read a book with blue on the cover :)

:lol: That's what I'm wondering about that particular challenge: to pee, or not to pee :D Diapers? Hmmm! :D

x

Haha :D!

:blush2: It didn't look that large when I picked it from the shelf .. but it does have approx 602 pages  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :D Oh boy!! 

x

That is pretty long!

Thanks Gaia :) 

Your list looks very impressive (as does Frankie's) .. good luck with the challenge both of you xx <3 xx

x

Thank you xx :)!

I'm reading the last book I acquired 'The Radleys' by Matt Haig. If I can cross off anyother challenges, tha will be a bonus.

I hope you enjoy The Radleys :).

I finally finished my current read and could then start the challenge! I'm now reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn, it will go towards 1. Read a book with blue on the cover :)

x

I hope you enjoy Sharp Objects :).

For read someone else's favourite book I read Enid Blyton - De Dolle Tweeling 5: De Dolle Tweeling in Spanning (St. Clare 5: Claudine at St. Clare's) yesterday. For book I really want to read I read Robert Jordan, Chuck Dixon, Mike Miller and Harvey Tolibao - The Wheel of Time Graphic Novels 0: New Spring, also yesterday (it's a graphic novel of a book of one of my favourite fantasy series).

I hope to read the book by an author who shares the same first letter of your last name, today.

Echoing Athena's sentiments: Karen, I hope you enjoy The Radleys! I really liked the book :smile2: Didn't expect the ending, though. I mean I did expect the book to end at some point, but didn't expect what happened in the end :D 

For read someone else's favourite book I read Enid Blyton - De Dolle Tweeling 5: De Dolle Tweeling in Spanning (St. Clare 5: Claudine at St. Clare's) yesterday. For book I really want to read I read Robert Jordan, Chuck Dixon, Mike Miller and Harvey Tolibao - The Wheel of Time Graphic Novels 0: New Spring, also yesterday (it's a graphic novel of a book of one of my favourite fantasy series).

Wow, you are cruising along with this challenge! :D I hope you're enjoying the booktubeathon :)

Edit: I forgot to add that I read 46 pages of my first challenge book yesterday/last night in bed: Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn. I'm liking it so far! :) And it's so much quicker to read, after Tinseltown, because there isn't that much text on a single page, compared to T. :D Hurrah! It feels like I'm flying through the pages, especially when I've been reading Tinseltown for so long. 

Edit: After some chores, I will be able to dedicate more time to this challenge today and tomorrow. The last three days have been busy. 

Edited by frankie

Well done everyone so far :clapping: I'm doing dismally .. I've had to make some fondant flowers for my mum and dad's cake and it took me two hours to do about twenty :blush2: Seriously eating into my reading time and consequently I've only read 40 pages of Alone in Berlin :( On the plus side .. it's already gripping!!

Won't lose hope! :D 

Well done everyone so far :clapping: I'm doing dismally .. I've had to make some fondant flowers for my mum and dad's cake and it took me two hours to do about twenty :blush2: Seriously eating into my reading time and consequently I've only read 40 pages of Alone in Berlin :( On the plus side .. it's already gripping!!

Won't lose hope! :D 

The fondant flowers will be muchly appreciated, :yes: Any chance of pics? Glad to hear that the book is gripping! Everyone's recommending it and I feel like I should read it but ... it's humongous and I fear might be depressing :blush: 

I've done my chores and can succumb to reading now :D I went to the library to take back Tinseltown, and went to browse the pocket book section for once (they've placed them behind the stairs and it's the most ridiculous spot for them and I never remember they're there!!  :banghead:  ) and I caught sight of this book that's been on my wishlist for a few years! It's a Finnish non-fiction book, called Don't You Know Who I Am? History of Arrogance :D I've never seen a copy of it before, and was surprised to see that it's a really short book. I think I will make it as my 5. Finish a book without letting go of it :smile2: 

The fondant flowers will be muchly appreciated, :yes: Any chance of pics? Glad to hear that the book is gripping! Everyone's recommending it and I feel like I should read it but ... it's humongous and I fear might be depressing :blush:

I've done my chores and can succumb to reading now :D I went to the library to take back Tinseltown, and went to browse the pocket book section for once (they've placed them behind the stairs and it's the most ridiculous spot for them and I never remember they're there!!  :banghead:  ) and I caught sight of this book that's been on my wishlist for a few years! It's a Finnish non-fiction book, called Don't You Know Who I Am? History of Arrogance :D I've never seen a copy of it before, and was surprised to see that it's a really short book. I think I will make it as my 5. Finish a book without letting go of it :smile2: 

Probably is depressing .. but hopefully uplifting too! I've been avoiding it for too long .. though why I thought it would be a good holiday read is anyone's guess :D I expect I will still be reading it next week so will take it with me .. unless it's done and dusted by then .. you never know! 

I will put some pics of the flowers on my member's blog. Don't get your expectations up tho!  :D 

Yay for getting your chores done!!   :cows: Nothing like some planned book reading to make one go faster with the chores!! :D 

History of Arrogance!! :D I feel sure Kanye West will be mentioned in there somewhere :D :D 

Probably is depressing .. but hopefully uplifting too! I've been avoiding it for too long .. though why I thought it would be a good holiday read is anyone's guess. I expect I will still be reading it next week so will take it with me .. unless it's done and dusted by then .. you never know! 

I will put some pics of the flowers on my member's blog. Don't get your expectations up tho!

Yes I suppose there is the chance of it being uplifting and inspirational, too, but I fear all that might come only towards the end of the novel and by that time I'll have long gone despaired :D:unsure::(:D

I would never let you pick my holiday books for me :D :D

Yay for getting your chores done!!   :cows: Nothing like some planned book reading to make one go faster with the chores!!

History of Arrogance!! I feel sure Kanye West will be mentioned in there somewhere 

I turned the computer off and actually finished the novel :o I read a book in almost a day, 24 hours! :o It was great! :smile2: The book and the reading. 

Oh my god, you don't suppose it's a picture book of Kanye West, is it? :rolleyes::thud: Well it will be a quick read :D And it is someone else's favorite book.. Kanye's, that is :D That's two challenges in one go! :D 

Thursday's progress: I read 236 pages of Sharp Objects, thus having completed the first challenge: 1. Read a book with blue on the cover. Wohoo!! :smile2:

Edited by frankie

Well done, Frankie, on your progress :)!

I read Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 11: De Glimlach van Lisa (Il Sorriso Di Monna Topisa) on Thursday, as my book whose author shares the same letter as my last name. I have also read at least 7 books, so that's all the challenges done!

I will post a more detailed progress of the overall read-a-thon in our monthly read-a-thon thread.

Wow, you really managed all the challenges, congratulations!  :readingtwo:  :D Well done! I think this was a very successful first Booktubeathon for you, was it not :) 

I've finished my second challenge, 5. Finish a book without letting go of it, and for that I read Robert Louis Stevenson's The Suicide Club.

Wow, you really managed all the challenges, congratulations!  :readingtwo:   :D Well done! I think this was a very successful first Booktubeathon for you, was it not :) 

I've finished my second challenge, 5. Finish a book without letting go of it, and for that I read Robert Louis Stevenson's The Suicide Club.

Well done on finishing your second challenge :)! Did you like the book?

Well done on finishing your second challenge :)! Did you like the book?

Thanks! :) The book was okay... I was probably not in the right sort of mood for it so I didn't enjoy it as much as I otherwise may have. :shrug: I'm currently reading something that's not to do with the challenge list in any way, but I'm actively thinking about what to read next. 

Thanks! :) The book was okay... I was probably not in the right sort of mood for it so I didn't enjoy it as much as I otherwise may have. :shrug: I'm currently reading something that's not to do with the challenge list in any way, but I'm actively thinking about what to read next.

Ah that's a shame. I hope you enjoy your current read and look forward to see your next pick for the challenge :).