What's Up in August? - 2015

frankie

Quiet and dreary day today. We've been beseeched with storms for the past couple of days. They come in quick and are vicious. Today doesn't look much better. If this the precursor to the weekend, I know exactly what I'll be doing. 

The boys were picked up by their parents last night. They'll spend a week in Georgia visiting and then will be back next Saturday or Sunday. They will do an orientation that following Monday and then start school on Tuesday. I plan to get their bedroom painted and their school clothes sorted. Then I'll sit back and read. I can't believe how many books I've read over the summer!

As for today, its just busy enough to be interesting and slow enough to surf the net, hehehe! :P When I get home, I'll have a couple of hours with the hubby before he goes to work, then I'll probably sit up watching Midsomer Murders and Northern Exposure DVD's until I doze off.

I'm glad you're having an allright time :)

Coran and I did our piece on BBC Surrey this morning. When we got there I was experiencing a bad case of NBBS (Nervous Belly and Bladder Syndrome), but following a nice cup of tea courtesy of one of the producers, it soon settled down. We went on air around 8.50 am and all went well. The two presenters, who have been presenting Coran's story all week were fantastic and really open, giving us plenty of time to talk and answer their questions. After they came off the air at the end of their show at 9am, they came out of the studio for a hug and a brief chat. They are keen for us both to keep in touch so that they can possibly do some more programmes in the future as this is a big topic that is only to get more topical. They were both really touched and surprised by Coran's gift of a framed copy of the original artwork for the book cover, which I don't think either of them were expecting. All in all it was a brilliant experience. 

If anyone is interested in having a listen, it will be on Iplayer for the next 28 days. If you scroll through to 10 minutes before the end of the show, you can hear us. The other shows for this week which also featured Coran are also on there. Again scroll through to approx 8.50am (about 10 minutes before the end of the broadcast) and you will hear it. Coran recorded them all at home as well, for a more permanent copy and has been given permission to put the links on her own website and social media. Once she has done this, I will of course share them on my own Facebook page as well for anyone who is friends with either of us on there.

Well done on doing the piece! I would listen to it but unfortunately Iplayer isn't available in my country. I'm glad it went well though, you two can be proud :)

Thought I'd make the most of my weekend, and it's been a perfect day for me … tea and toast at my favourite café while I started a new book  :coffee1: , then got all my shopping done and back home in time to watch England win The Ashes, the after matches speeches (including getting something in my eye when Michael Clarke got a bit emotional after announcing his retirement after the tour ends  :wibbly: ) and a bit of the chat afterwards, followed by an afternoon of reading. :readingtwo:

It sounds like you've having a nice weekend :).

I've been quite tired the past few days and I've been feeling down (for reasons I won't get into now). I hope I'll feel less tired soon, as it's getting harder to do things and to concentrate on anything. The weather has been good though so that's nice.

One of our chicken was attacked by something. She managed to survive, gladly, but she's not looking well. I hope she will be okay :(.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talisman - congratulations to you and Coran on your radio piece - I went and listened to the one you posted the link to and it's wonderful. :)

Thank you Kell - and Athena. Of course I didn't realise that Iplayer is not available outside the UK, but Coran recorded all of it herself as well at home, and (with permission) has posted links on her own website, which is of course available everywhere. You can listen to them here: 

http://www.awayofseeing.net/corans-story

I have to say though, that I hate the way I sound. Several of the staff and clients at work said they heard it on their way to work that day, and they commented on how posh I sounded !     

My weekend is very relaxed, most of my friends are on holidays in other towns so we didn´t go out yesterday, we see a movie at home. Today is sunny so I'm going to the beach.

Talisman Congratulations!!!!!! I´m glad that you enjoy the playing.

Athenea poor chicken!!! But it's nice that she can survive! I hope that the things that are making you stay low aren´t too bad! I hope you will better soon!!!

Thank you Kell - and Athena. Of course I didn't realise that Iplayer is not available outside the UK, but Coran recorded all of it herself as well at home, and (with permission) has posted links on her own website, which is of course available everywhere. You can listen to them here: 

http://www.awayofseeing.net/corans-story

I have to say though, that I hate the way I sound. Several of the staff and clients at work said they heard it on their way to work that day, and they commented on how posh I sounded !

I'm listening to it now, thanks for that :)! It's very interesting.

EDIT: That was very interesting! You both sound like lovely people :hug:.

My weekend is very relaxed, most of my friends are on holidays in other towns so we didn´t go out yesterday, we see a movie at home. Today is sunny so I'm going to the beach.

Talisman Congratulations!!!!!! I´m glad that you enjoy the playing.

Athenea poor chicken!!! But it's nice that she can survive! I hope that the things that are making you stay low aren´t too bad! I hope you will better soon!!!

I'm glad you're having a great weekend :).

Thanks, I'm also glad she survived. Thanks :).

Edited by Athena

I'm listening to it now, thanks for that :)! It's very interesting.

EDIT: That was very interesting! You both sound like lovely people :hug:.

Thank you - we certainly do our best.   :smile: It has been a nice and quiet weekend for us after all the excitement of last week with plenty of  :readingtwo: and :wine: which is just the way I like it. 

Thank you - we certainly do our best.   :smile: It has been a nice and quiet weekend for us after all the excitement of last week with plenty of  :readingtwo: and :wine: which is just the way I like it.

I thought it was particularly touching how you and Coran fell in love with the person the other one is. I thought that was a really emotional moment and it's a thought I fully agree with.

I'm glad you had a relaxing weekend :)!

I've been quite tired the past few days, so I'm trying to do some different things to see if that might help. Since I've been tired for about a week, I thought about what I'd been doing differently the past week, that could be affecting it. I have been drinking a lot more fruit juices that I don't normally drink, so I'm thinking it may interfere with my medication (even though I've been keeping them a half-an-hour apart as advised, because Vitamin C can diminish the effect of the medication). I'm therefore trying to not drink any strange fruit juices for about a week. Preliminary results are somewhat promising, I feel better today than the past few days. It could also be the placebo effect though, or because I'm excited about seeing my family soon. Time will tell.

I thought it was particularly touching how you and Coran fell in love with the person the other one is. I thought that was a really emotional moment and it's a thought I fully agree with.

I'm glad you had a relaxing weekend :)!

:thanx: For me that is what it is all about. I don't see her as a man or a woman, but simply the person that I fell in love with, and a very special one at that.    

Hope you get your tiredness sorted out soon. :empathy:

Hope you get your tiredness sorted out soon. :empathy:

Yesterday we went to the zoo. I hadn't been to a zoo in 5-10 years and I've been wanting to go to one. We didn't go on a holiday this summer so the one thing I thought we could do is at least have a day out. It was really nice to see all the animals. We walked a lot. I'm quite tired from it, mentally (all the screaming kids) and physically (my legs ache), but we had a lot of fun :). My grandparents were really nice and said they'd pay for our lunch so we could enjoy our day out without having to worry about money, I'm very grateful to them! So for the next few days I plan to rest a lot, because I'm quite tired. I have a phone appointment with my psychiatrist next week, so I'll be able to ask him about my tiredness and such (my medication isn't doing what it's supposed to, for some reason).

Gaia, the zoo sounds wonderful! I plan on taking the boys near the end of the month, once we get settled. They haven't been to one yet. I haven't been in almost 20 years. 

The doctor says my heart is good but my stress level, if not brought under control, will cause me to have a heart attack. I don't suffer from continual anxiety attacks so the meds they prescribed for me are to be taken only as needed. If the pain in my chest persists, then we'll be looking at more invasive testing. 

I'm enjoying my work and looking forward to picking the boys up this weekend. I got tickets to see a comedian at The Comedy House. It's headlined entertainers like Chris Tucker, Chris Rock and Steve Harvey. I'm looking forward to a night out!

Gaia, the zoo trip sounds great. Taking it easy should definitely help.  :smile:

Virginia, I think that the words  "I'm looking forward to a night out!" should be spoken by you on a regular basis from now on. Might keep those stress levels down a bit.  :smile: 

Edited by Chrissy

Just got home from work after a full day then an evening of overtime … I'm cream crackered!  Don't have to go in tomorrow morning though, so will hopefully get a lie-in, and I might even attempt to bake a cake, as we haven't had one for ages.  Looking forward to just reading and relaxing for the next couple of days. :smile2:

Gaia, the zoo sounds wonderful! I plan on taking the boys near the end of the month, once we get settled. They haven't been to one yet. I haven't been in almost 20 years. 

The doctor says my heart is good but my stress level, if not brought under control, will cause me to have a heart attack. I don't suffer from continual anxiety attacks so the meds they prescribed for me are to be taken only as needed. If the pain in my chest persists, then we'll be looking at more invasive testing. 

I'm enjoying my work and looking forward to picking the boys up this weekend. I got tickets to see a comedian at The Comedy House. It's headlined entertainers like Chris Tucker, Chris Rock and Steve Harvey. I'm looking forward to a night out!

Thanks Virginia, it was :)! See below for a video of some of the animals, if you're interested (I took a lot of photos too). I hope you have fun at the zoo :).

I hope your heart will be okay and that you enjoyed the comedian's work :)

Gaia, the zoo trip sounds great. Taking it easy should definitely help.  :smile:

Thanks Chrissy, it was very enjoyable :)!

Just got home from work after a full day then an evening of overtime … I'm cream crackered!  Don't have to go in tomorrow morning though, so will hopefully get a lie-in, and I might even attempt to bake a cake, as we haven't had one for ages.  Looking forward to just reading and relaxing for the next couple of days. :smile2:

I hope you got that lie-in you wanted, and that you can relax in the next few days :).

Have had a reasonably quiet week this week after our holiday last week. Off to London today to meet a friend, starting at the Imperial War Museum, while my daughter and her friend head off for some retail therapy in Oxford Street. :)

I hope you have a lot of fun in London :)!

I went to the Imperial War Museum once, that was quite nice (I was there with some friends, a couple of whom were really into tanks: my current boyfriend (at the time a friend) and a friend we knew from online (he was a soldier in the army)). Oxford Street is quite something to see too, though last time I was there it was very busy (I think it always is :giggle2:). But, if I'm not mistaken there is a book shop around there? I found 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die in Waterstone's around there, which I didn't end up buying in that shop, but which I bought a few days later in a different Waterstone's in London.

EDIT: Here is a video containing some clips I made filming some of the animals in the Burgers' Zoo in Arnhem:

Edited by Athena

Thanks for sharing that video Gaia, it was lovely! I usually am unsure about zoos because I feel sorry for the animals (and I did feel sorry for the enclosed birds), but the meerkats and elephants seemed to have good enclosures.

Today I booked a meet and greet with Colonel Chris Hadfield in January! He's going to be doing a 90 minute talk, then the meet and greet ticket includes great seats, a photo with him, a free drink, and some kind of actual meet and greet with him after the show. So excited!

You're welcome :). Yes, most of the enclosures were pretty good, other than the birds (I'm unsure but I think they may have had another area at the other end, but I'm not sure of it). It makes sense you feel unsure, a zoo should give its animals enough space.

I hope you enjoy your meet and greet :)!

Hi!

My weekend is a bit sad because my sister-in-law went today to Chile. She´s going to live there now so I will miss her a lot! I get along with her and it´s a pity that we can´t live in the same place.

Athenea thanks for the video!!! I love the zoo but I haven´t been in one for almost 7 years! there aren't any zoo in Coruña so I only go to one when I go on holidays to another city.

Virginia I'm glad that your heart is all right! I have some test in two weeks time too.

My weekend is a bit sad because my sister-in-law went today to Chile. She´s going to live there now so I will miss her a lot! I get along with her and it´s a pity that we can´t live in the same place.

Athenea thanks for the video!!! I love the zoo but I haven´t been in one for almost 7 years! there aren't any zoo in Coruña so I only go to one when I go on holidays to another city.

Awww :( Chile is quite far away. I hope you will be able to communicate with her online and maybe see her in a while. My brother's girlfriend went to Chile to study, and he visited her and they had a holiday there for a couple of weeks. It makes sense you will miss your sister-in-law a lot.

I went to the library this weekend, that was a lot of fun. I had an appointment with my doctor, that went well (see the Mature Discussion forum for that if interested). I have a phone appointment with my psychiatrist tomorrow. I've been phoning with my sister and I've been talking a lot with my parents. We had a lovely dinner together (my parents, my boyfriend and I) on Saturday evening. I had a nice, 'lazy' Sunday, spending time with my boyfriend and reading on the sofa.

Glad your appointment went well Gaia!

This weekend was spent getting ready for the littles. Friday after work I went to get the boys school supplies. What an ordeal. I haven't school shopped in years and the things the schools are requesting....ugh. Expensive and dang near impossible to find!

Saturday I got the kids bedroom ready, organized their clothing, put their school supplies together and cleaned house. Sunday hubby and I went to Georgia to pick up three boys and came back with three boys and two wee little girlies. The more the merrier. They are so absolutely adorable that I hate when they go back. 

Today its back to work and then the open house at school this evening. Tomorrow, the first day of school! 

New phone, on which I am typing this.

This made me laugh for some reason :giggle:

Today I found out I'll be paid this month for an extra week which cropped up over July/August, so five weeks pay, approx €300 extra! Woooooo!

I've also just finished a solid draft of a project for my director, so that's one less thing to stress about (until he comes back to me with edits!)

And I can't remember if I've already mentioned it, but I'm also almost certainly getting kept on longer at work because my main project is only just starting and I won't get it completed by the end of September. Might only be an extra month or two, but I'll take anything I can get!

I'm back from my lovely vacation and cannot believe how fast the time flew.  I packed a lot in, including numerous boat rides, reading, 3 sewing projects, shopping, BBQ-ing, and even helped paint the main floor of the house!  I also helped collect items for a local church auction and generally spent a lot of hours outdoors with a drink in my hand :D.  I'm back at work today...

Virginia, I'm so glad those 'first day of school' days are behind me!  I was never excited about those as a kid, ha!

Yippee for extra pay, Noll!  That's the best news!!  And congrats on staying on longer at work.

This weekend was spent getting ready for the littles. Friday after work I went to get the boys school supplies. What an ordeal. I haven't school shopped in years and the things the schools are requesting....ugh. Expensive and dang near impossible to find!

Tomorrow, the first day of school! 

We are way behind on all of this, mine starts Wednesday.  She has outgrown EVERYTHING over the summer, shoes, shirts, jeans, etc.  :banghead:

Today I found out I'll be paid this month for an extra week which cropped up over July/August, so five weeks pay, approx €300 extra! Woooooo!

And I can't remember if I've already mentioned it, but I'm also almost certainly getting kept on longer at work because my main project is only just starting and I won't get it completed by the end of September. Might only be an extra month or two, but I'll take anything I can get!

:jump: Don't you just love that? 

Speaking of starting school,, I start my Critical Thinking in Literature class tomorrow, but I am not sure how much critical thinking I want to do lol  I have nearly talked myself out of this class and it doesn't help that the textbook isn't appealing either.  There is another literature class that I want at a different school, so I will try and get into that college for the spring.