What's Up in August? - 2015

frankie

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of good things happening today, including:

1. It's my twelfth wedding anniversary.
  2. My sister has come to visit for the weekend (we haven't seen each other since Easter)
  3. The sun is shining.
  4. After today, hubby will be on holiday from work for two whole weeks, so we have loads of lovely day trips planned with the boys.

Can you believe it's August already?!

Another week for me comes to an end. It has been a very long and a very tiring one - but also a very exciting one. My husband and partner Coran's book is being published tomorrow, after 10 years or more (on and off) of very hard work and is being featured all of next week on BBC Radio Surrey's breakfast show.

This is amazing news :)!

Lots of good things happening today, including:

• It's my twelfth wedding anniversary.
  • My sister has come to visit for the weekend (we haven't seen each other since Easter)
  • The sun is shining.
  • After today, hubby will be on holiday from work for two whole weeks, so we have loads of lovely day trips planned with the boys.

Happy anniversay!! I hope you and your husband have a great time in the next two weeks :).

I'm making Italian herb buns and I'm busy doing a lot of household chores. I hope to read some in my book later today, and I think tomorrow I'll continue with my sister's stuff that I'll be working on. I've been too tired the past two days to work on it (tired from her visit three days ago), but hopefully after another day of rest I should be okay to work some more on it.

I signed up for Brave The Shave in aid of Macmillan Cancer Support today. On 2nd August next year, I will be shaving my head. All money raised in sponsorship will go to Macmillan Cancer Support, and my hair will be donated to the Little Princess Trust which makes wigs for children who have lost their hair through cancer treatment. That's the reason I'll be shaving it off NEXT August - I want my hair to grow as long as possible between now and then. I feel really good about this. :)

I signed up for Brave The Shave in aid of Macmillan Cancer Support today. On 2nd August next year, I will be shaving my head. All money raised in sponsorship will go to Macmillan Cancer Support, and my hair will be donated to the Little Princess Trust which makes wigs for children who have lost their hair through cancer treatment. That's the reason I'll be shaving it off NEXT August - I want my hair to grow as long as possible between now and then. I feel really good about this. :)

Wow, way to go Kell!!!  I support Macmillan and will make an extra donation  :smile:

Wow, very brave of you :)

My 7 year old great grandson has qualified in Track and Field for the AAU Junior Olympics. He will be running in the Junior Olympics this coming Thursday at Norfolk State University. His qualifying time was 6 minutes and (13 seconds?) for the 1500 meters.

http://aautv.org/

Your family is very talented, Muggle Not! Congratulations to your great grandson :).

Wow, very brave of you :)

Your family is very talented, Muggle Not! Congratulations to your great grandson :).

Thanks Athena. The AAU Junior Olympics is a big thing here in the U.S. My great grandson is really nervous and hopes he doesn't finish last in the field of 70 contestants that have qualified for the 1500 meter event. Some of the contestants train 6 - 7 days a week but my granddaughter doesn't want to push her son hard and he only trains 2 - 3 days a week. She thinks he has the talent to really become good when he gets older.I will be able to watch the event live through "Live Streaming" or I can subscribe to AAUTV for a single day for only $2.99. :) http://www.hamptonroadssports.org/page/aau-junior-olympic-games-2015/

Edited by muggle not

This is amazing news :)!

Thanks Athena - I don't want to try and promote it too much for her on here, as I don't want to break any rules, even though I have been a member on here for years. If anyone is interested, it is easy enough to find via mine or Corans Facebook page (I think quite a few of you are friends with at least one of us). Otherwise there are not too many authors with a name like Coran if you go onto Amazon and just search.  It is rather good even if I do say so myself (I am probably biased though, seeing as I am in it).    :smile:

We have had a great day today though watching the Ride London, which for those outside the southeast is the largest charity fundraising bike ride in the UK. The riders (all 27,000 of them) set off from the Olympic Park at 10 minute intervals from 6am this morning - rather them than me ! The first ones came through the village of Box Hill where we live just after 8.30am and they are still coming thick and fast as I write. Some of the villagers get upset about the road closures, and in some ways it is a pain, but you can't get upset over it when it's just one day a year and they raise so much for good causes. It is also of course brilliant fun to watch - especially the male cyclists in all that tight lycra. :o

There is a separate race for the male professionals later on this afternoon. They left The Mall at around 1.30pm and are due here a little after 5pm. We will venture up to the main road to watch them whizz by, although it tends to be a case of blink and they're gone !  

Edited by Talisman

Had a great day Friday, shopping, cinema to see Inside Out (okay but not great), pizza and then an amazing trip to see Singing in the Rain in the Opera House.

Went out last night with a friend for a couple drinks, wound up spending two hours with her parents which, as I'm not 12, wasn't very fun. And I was meant to be going to a small wildlife park tomorrow, but my friend doesn't really want to go and it's meant to be showery anyway. So all in all my fun weekend has boiled down to a good Friday and not much else. Oh well :roll:

Congrats to you muggle and June, great news all around!

I'm trying out my new keyboard for my tablet. My laptop needs either to be fixed or buried and since I spend all my time on my tablet it makes more sense to get a wireless keyboard. Unfortunately i'm having problems finding it hard to get one that is compatible with my samsung galaxy tab pro. The darn shift key wont consistently give give me a capital letter when i need it, hence, the lower case "i."

I plan to relax today as we did lots of home improvement stuff. The boys came home friday night so its been pretty busy. I missed these little guys!

Been dealing with more chest pains today. Our son went to visit his grandmom friday night and had plans to stay til sometime today. My nephew decided to leave (he lives with their grand) with the key. Grandma went to florida on a mission of mercy so ds was locked out. He decided to leave and come home. 45 minutes from where he left and 1.5 hours from home, he blew a two tires, to include the "dummy" tire. So my mom and hubby got up and made the drive to pick him up and get the car towed. They didn't make it back in til almost 0800. Everytime i get a phone call or text after 11pm it sends my heart racing because it wakes me from my sleep. I am supposed to wear the monitor til tuesday i believe. The stress test is scheduled for 12 august.

Well, i'm off to stalk the net and do some reading. Have a great day all!

Virginia, take care of yourself! :o

Not much happening here. We've been hearing fighter jets in the skies the past few days...it's the U.S. Navy Blue Angels practicing for their annual Seattle SeaFair show over Lake Washington. I'll admit, it's a nerve-wracking sound!

Now I'm just heating up some frozen pizza and getting ready for some Sunday night lounging. :)

I'm in the process of upgrading a website, so that's taken up most of my weekend. :irked:  I hate change, but it needs to be done, and I'm struggling with the new interface at the moment, but I know once I get used to it, it'll be better, it's just that transition process that's so frustrating.  More irritating, it's left me little reading time, and will continue to do so for a good few weekends yet!  :banghead: 

I'm meeting up with a friend later to go to the cinema, and getting a few other bits and pieces sorted out, so I'm going to be busy most of the day, but looking forward to a catch up with my friend and can't wait to see the new Mission Impossible film! :D

My weekend was fine, I went to the beach Saturday and Sunday and on Saturday I had a birthay, we went to ate pizza and then we went to a Karaoke, it was really fun!!

Chesilbeach I have to design myt website too, I have to design and programming it and it will take me a lot of time too :(

Muggle not your grandson is very talented!! You are very lucky!! Enjoy!

Kell you are very brave!! It's amazing what you are going to do for those kids!

Thanks Athena - I don't want to (...)

(...) We will venture up to the main road to watch them whizz by, although it tends to be a case of blink and they're gone !

Thanks for that, I have looked it up on Amazon US and added it to my Kindle wishlist :). I'm glad you had a great day!

Had a great day Friday, shopping, cinema to see Inside Out (okay but not great), pizza and then an amazing trip to see Singing in the Rain in the Opera House.

Went out last night with a friend for a couple drinks, wound up spending two hours with her parents which, as I'm not 12, wasn't very fun. And I was meant to be going to a small wildlife park tomorrow, but my friend doesn't really want to go and it's meant to be showery anyway. So all in all my fun weekend has boiled down to a good Friday and not much else. Oh well :roll:

It's a shame Inside Out wasn't that great for you :(. I'm glad you had a great day on Friday though despite that the weekend wasn't very good. I hope your next weekend will be better! 

I'm trying out my new keyboard for my tablet. (...)

(...) Well, i'm off to stalk the net and do some reading. Have a great day all!

I hope your health improves soon :(

Not much happening here. We've been hearing fighter jets in the skies the past few days...it's the U.S. Navy Blue Angels practicing for their annual Seattle SeaFair show over Lake Washington. I'll admit, it's a nerve-wracking sound!

Now I'm just heating up some frozen pizza and getting ready for some Sunday night lounging. :)

Wow, it must have been loud! I hope you had a nice Sunday :)

I'm in the process of upgrading a website, so that's taken up most of my weekend. :irked:  I hate change, but it needs to be done, and I'm struggling with the new interface at the moment, but I know once I get used to it, it'll be better, it's just that transition process that's so frustrating.  More irritating, it's left me little reading time, and will continue to do so for a good few weekends yet!  :banghead: 

I'm meeting up with a friend later to go to the cinema, and getting a few other bits and pieces sorted out, so I'm going to be busy most of the day, but looking forward to a catch up with my friend and can't wait to see the new Mission Impossible film! :D

Good luck with the website, I hope it will work out! I hope you had a nice Sunday with your friend :)

My weekend was fine, I went to the beach Saturday and Sunday and on Saturday I had a birthay, we went to ate pizza and then we went to a Karaoke, it was really fun!

I'm glad you had a good weekend :)!

I had a nice weekend. I was unfortunately feeling a bit tired so I rested rather than doing some work stuff for my sister or doing other things. I did do a lot of household chores and such. I phoned with my sister and we talked for a while. I also spent some time reading and on the computer. I had a nice shower and we made pancakes for dinner.

Thanks for that, I have looked it up on Amazon US and added it to my Kindle wishlist :). I'm glad you had a great day!

Thank you - if you do get round to downloading a copy, I hope you find it interesting. The first part of Coran's interview was broadcast on BBC Radio Surrey this morning, and very good it was too.  

We had a great day yesterday though watching all the bikes, and I managed to get some great pictures of all the professionals, with a brilliant one of Mark Cavendish at the head of the main peloton as they came up Box Hill. I will have to go through them and put some on Facebook at some time.

The Macaton course today was great as well - I am now fully versed in the more basic words and can use them to sign sentences and ask questions. Part two is to be arranged at a later date.

Last night ended up being anything but relaxing. BF was hit with a really bad migraine and spend the rest of the evening in bed, wanting his head rubbed. He's still feeling poorly today.

I found out one of my coworkers is leaving the agency, so I emailed my boss and put myself forward for her position, which would be a promotion for me. I was nervous to be so up front about it, but it's better that they know that I'm interested. I have a weekly meeting with my boss every Tuesday, so I'm sure we'll talk about it tomorrow. Yikes! :o

We had a great day yesterday though watching all the bikes, and I managed to get some great pictures of all the professionals, with a brilliant one of Mark Cavendish at the head of the main peloton as they came up Box Hill. I will have to go through them and put some on Facebook at some time.

I'm glad you had a great time :)

Last night ended up being anything but relaxing. BF was hit with a really bad migraine and spend the rest of the evening in bed, wanting his head rubbed. He's still feeling poorly today.

I found out one of my coworkers is leaving the agency, so I emailed my boss and put myself forward for her position, which would be a promotion for me. I was nervous to be so up front about it, but it's better that they know that I'm interested. I have a weekly meeting with my boss every Tuesday, so I'm sure we'll talk about it tomorrow. Yikes! :o

I hope your BF feels better soon :(. Good luck with the talk, I hope you get the position!!

We had a nice barbecue meal yesterday. My boyfriend's not been feeling that great. I've worked again on my sister's stuff this morning, and plan to do so every day except the weekend. It tires me but I'm glad if I can help her. I hope to be able to rest a bit in the afternoon.

Quiet and dreary day today. We've been beseeched with storms for the past couple of days. They come in quick and are vicious. Today doesn't look much better. If this the precursor to the weekend, I know exactly what I'll be doing. 

The boys were picked up by their parents last night. They'll spend a week in Georgia visiting and then will be back next Saturday or Sunday. They will do an orientation that following Monday and then start school on Tuesday. I plan to get their bedroom painted and their school clothes sorted. Then I'll sit back and read. I can't believe how many books I've read over the summer!

As for today, its just busy enough to be interesting and slow enough to surf the net, hehehe! :P When I get home, I'll have a couple of hours with the hubby before he goes to work, then I'll probably sit up watching Midsomer Murders and Northern Exposure DVD's until I doze off.

Coran and I did our piece on BBC Surrey this morning. When we got there I was experiencing a bad case of NBBS (Nervous Belly and Bladder Syndrome), but following a nice cup of tea courtesy of one of the producers, it soon settled down. We went on air around 8.50 am and all went well. The two presenters, who have been presenting Coran's story all week were fantastic and really open, giving us plenty of time to talk and answer their questions. After they came off the air at the end of their show at 9am, they came out of the studio for a hug and a brief chat. They are keen for us both to keep in touch so that they can possibly do some more programmes in the future as this is a big topic that is only to get more topical. They were both really touched and surprised by Coran's gift of a framed copy of the original artwork for the book cover, which I don't think either of them were expecting. All in all it was a brilliant experience. 

If anyone is interested in having a listen, it will be on Iplayer for the next 28 days. If you scroll through to 10 minutes before the end of the show, you can hear us. The other shows for this week which also featured Coran are also on there. Again scroll through to approx 8.50am (about 10 minutes before the end of the broadcast) and you will hear it. Coran recorded them all at home as well, for a more permanent copy and has been given permission to put the links on her own website and social media. Once she has done this, I will of course share them on my own Facebook page as well for anyone who is friends with either of us on there.    

Thought I'd make the most of my weekend, and it's been a perfect day for me … tea and toast at my favourite café while I started a new book  :coffee1: , then got all my shopping done and back home in time to watch England win The Ashes, the after matches speeches (including getting something in my eye when Michael Clarke got a bit emotional after announcing his retirement after the tour ends  :wibbly: ) and a bit of the chat afterwards, followed by an afternoon of reading. :readingtwo: