Your Book Activity - August 2015

frankie

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had to put my Bernard Cornwell re-reads on hold for the appearance of the new Robin Hobb.  So, I was lost in the world of Fitz and the Fool for three whole days with Fool's Quest.  I just love her world and characters, so this has been like a holiday for me.

Better get back to Bernard's Saxon Chronicles now.

I am reading..... a book!  :D

For some unfathomable reason I espied a Jonathan Nasaw book, Fear Itself, and I couldn't remember the story despite remembering that I read it a few years ago. Before I knew it I was engrossed. 

My absent reading mojo either has returned from it's holiday, tanned and relaxed and ready for business, OR it has just dropped by on route to somewhere else. Either way I am reading a book. :giggle2:

Went to Waterstones while in Canterbury... I bought:

Ivory, Apes and Peacocks- Alan Root

Ring of Bright Water- Gavin Maxwell (centenary edition)

Wanted to read both for ages, but never been able to find copies!

I hope you enjoy your new books :)!

Had to put my Bernard Cornwell re-reads on hold for the appearance of the new Robin Hobb.  So, I was lost in the world of Fitz and the Fool for three whole days with Fool's Quest.  I just love her world and characters, so this has been like a holiday for me.

Better get back to Bernard's Saxon Chronicles now.

I haven't got that one yet, I'm glad you liked it :)

My absent reading mojo either has returned from it's holiday, tanned and relaxed and ready for business, OR it has just dropped by on route to somewhere else. Either way I am reading a book. :giggle2:

Yay :)!

I'm currently reading Myrthe van der Meer - PAAZ 2: Up, which I found at the library. I read PAAZ 1: PAAZ in June and I liked it though I didn't love it, so far the sequel is nice too (though not brilliant).

I read a strange book called Birdy by Jess Vallance. It could have been amazing, but I think the writing let it down somewhat. 

I'm now trying something called Dead Romantic by.. C. J. Skuse I think... the initials might be wrong. So far it's actually pretty funny, even though it has a lower rating on Goodreads than Birdy.

I'm dying to read a book called Creepy and Maud but it's over £6 just for the Kindle edition! I might treat myself at the end of the month with my extra week's pay.

I think Devil in the White City by Erik Larson is my next read, but the beginning is

so bogged down in the architecture of the city. Does that continue throughout the book?

Oh- also, if you missed my post in an earlier thread, the book is being made into a movie with Leonardo Di Caprio and Martin Scorsese

Edited by Anna Begins

Now starting a(nother) 1000 page epic - New York by Edward Rutherfurd. Fiction, but takes us through from New Amsterdam in 1664 through to the early 2000s. Should be interesting!

That sounds fascinating, Alexi!  I'll have to keep that one in mind.  I have some ancestors who settled there in the 1660's so I think I would love reading something about that time period.

I'm almost finished with Armada by Ernest Cline and last night I picked up The Last Bookaneer by Matthew Pearl.  

I'm almost finished with Armada by Ernest Cline and last night I picked up The Last Bookaneer by Matthew Pearl.  

I'd like to know what you thought of the book when you have it finished, I've heard it's less good than Ready Player One from some people.

I'm just over halfway done with Myrthe van der Meer - PAAZ 2: Up, I hope to read some more in it later today.

I think Devil in the White City by Erik Larson is my next read, but the beginning is

so bogged down in the architecture of the city. Does that continue throughout the book?

The book is half about HH Holmes and half about Daniel Burham (architect) and the way they constructed the World's Fair in Chicago at the same time. I think the two topics go together really nicely, but I can't remember if the beginning part is particularly heavy-going with the architecture.

I'm halfway through Hippy Dinners by Abbie Ross.  I'm enjoying it, but I seem to have been reading it for ages and am still only just past the halfway mark! :shrug:

And still going … although my Kindle tells me I've got 37 minutes until the end, so I'm hoping I might finish it tonight! :smile2:

The book is half about HH Holmes and half about Daniel Burham (architect) and the way they constructed the World's Fair in Chicago at the same time. I think the two topics go together really nicely, but I can't remember if the beginning part is particularly heavy-going with the architecture.

I hope it picks up, I'm sure it will!  Right now, its sort of a :sleeping-smiley-009

Gave up on Dead Romantic. Not sure I'll ever go back to it, so I've marked it as abandoned. I'm getting a lot better at dropping books I'm struggling with, which is great.

Trying out Fly By Night by Frances Hardinge now. It's fantasy, so it's a bit of a challenge for me, but so far I'm really loving the writing, and more importantly, the character names. Character/place names are one of the most immediately off-putting things for me about most fantasy.

I finished The Hidden Girl by Louise Millar this morning. Thought it was ok, but the plot turned out to be very different than what I was expecting.

I'm carrying on with Guns, Germs and Steel, and I also need to catch up on reviews as well. I don't know where the time is going, but between work and study and trying to have a life on weekends, I just don't seem to get anything else done. :thud:

I went out for an early dinner (actually, I woke up at 3 pm and went out to eat at 4.30 so maybe it was breakfast?) and took House of Leaves along with me. It's a really interesting book. I can see why some might call it pretentious, but I think it's quite brilliant. The depth of detail in the story is amazing. It seems very real. Although I'm only around 30 pages in (out of 700), I think it's already affecting me. I was a bit scared in bed last night. And nothing has even really happened in the book! I think this book will really get under my skin. Excellent! :)

That sounds fascinating, Alexi! I'll have to keep that one in mind. I have some ancestors who settled there in the 1660's so I think I would love reading something about that time period.

It does feel a bit whistle-stop tour - I've read 250 pages and we are now in 1775 on the brink of independence! - but I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I love New York and I'm reading it as a prelude to my time there in 3 weeks :)

However he's written a similar tome about London and I'm intrigued by that now. Surely that would be even harder to do in 1000 pages given it was populated years earlier than New York? Or indeed New Amsterdam as it is when we start in 1666!

Your ancestors were brave people I think. What a leap of faith to sail across the ocean from Netherlands/England/France etc, never see family again and take up a new life in (at that time), a very small settlement - at least by European, if not Native American, standards? The history of the U.S. fascinates me to be honest :D

I finally finished Hippy Dinners!!! :D I really enjoyed it, lots of references I could pick up on from my childhood, and a lovely memoir of an ordinary childhood.

Decided to go onto the second of The Gower Street Detective series, The Curse of the House of Foskett by M. R. C. Kasasian.

It does feel a bit whistle-stop tour - I've read 250 pages and we are now in 1775 on the brink of independence! - but I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I love New York and I'm reading it as a prelude to my time there in 3 weeks :)

However he's written a similar tome about London and I'm intrigued by that now. Surely that would be even harder to do in 1000 pages given it was populated years earlier than New York? Or indeed New Amsterdam as it is when we start in 1666!

Your ancestors were brave people I think. What a leap of faith to sail across the ocean from Netherlands/England/France etc, never see family again and take up a new life in (at that time), a very small settlement - at least by European, if not Native American, standards? The history of the U.S. fascinates me to be honest :D

I'm intrigued as well to see how he packs all that history into 1000 pages, and like you said, the US is a relatively young country!  I love US history too - we're quite different from the rest of the world.  I hope you have a good time on your trip to NY!  NYC is such a fun place to visit.  I'll be heading there next fall to visit upstate, doing genealogical research, in fact.  

I finished Armada last night and I would have to agree with some others I spoke to about it - Ready Player One is vastly superior.  Armada still had all the fun 80's pop culture references in regards to movies, music and video games, but it was more far-fetched in a ridiculous way (if that makes sense).  And the purpose behind the major event in the book isn't very original, I'm afraid.  

Tonight I'll start Iron Lake by William Kent Krueger! :D

Whoops!  Forgot I wasn't supposed to be buying any tree books at the moment as we have no shelf space left … came home from a trip to the shops with:

The Lie Tree by Frances Hardinge

Gorilla Dawn by Gill Lewis

The Fair Fight by Anna Freeman

Also, my pre-ordered copy of Michele Gorman's latest book was delivered to my Kindle this morning - The Curvy Girls Baby Club.  Have to admit, I don't usually like romcoms when they start going into the motherhood category, but I'm willing to give this one a go, as I've bought all Michele's other books since she was a guest author on the forum.

The Lie Tree by Frances Hardinge

I'm reading her kids/YA novel 'Fly By Night' at the moment. It's the first book I've read by her and even though it's fantasy I'm absolutely LOVING it. Have you read it or any others by her?

I'm reading her kids/YA novel 'Fly By Night' at the moment. It's the first book I've read by her and even though it's fantasy I'm absolutely LOVING it. Have you read it or any others by her?

No, not read any of her work before.  It was only because I saw another author on Twitter recommend this one that I thought I'd try it. Just realised I've managed to pick up a signed copy too! :smile2:

My Mum likes Gill Lewis, Claire.  :)  I hope you enjoy your books.

I've made it to 20% of How to be Both by Ali Smith.  It's hard going, but I feel it is getting slightly easier!  Sadly I just haven't had time to have a good long read of it, which I think is what it needs.

I finished Starshine by John Wilxox yesterday, a hugely powerful fictional (though based on true stories) account of life in the trenches during WWI. Definitely entering my top 30 books of all time list.

Now starting The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster.